Author Topic: RAAF Liberator  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
RAAF Liberator
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 03:36:08 AM »
One of the squadrons of the 90th BG all had "Shark Mouth's" on all their B-24J Liberators.

Very nice looking scheme. Defenately got to have this skin.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
RAAF Liberator
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005, 06:34:40 PM »
Originally posted by rogerdee
mine  is a seac lib if it ever gets done  but it will never be as good as any of yours you can do it if ya want just let me know
rogerdee

You go ahead and do it Rogerdee, I'm thinking of doing this one now. It is a 223 Squadron ECM aircraft. Only trouble is I can't find a photo of it. All the 223 Squadron aircraft photos I've seen show an all over black scheme.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
RAAF Liberator
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 10:14:00 PM »
The Skull Head needs the "dents" in it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
RAAF Liberator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2005, 03:08:56 AM »
The skull dents are there in my skin, its just that they are a lot more subtle than on that transfer set. All the photos of 90th BG liberators show them that way. Also the eye and nose sockets are not joined together like on the transfer sheet.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
RAAF Liberator
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2005, 05:00:56 AM »
Can anyone post a pic of one of the 90th BG "Jolly Rogers" B-24J's with the "Shark's Mouth"?

I have seen them before but can't seem to find one on Google to save my life.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
RAAF Liberator
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 01:02:40 AM »
Found a pic of them. All of the aircraft of the 320th BS "WHALE'S TAIL'S" of the 90th BG had "Shark Mouth's painted on their B-24's - both D and J models, OD and Silver color schemes.

On the OD aircraft, the tail markings where just the "Skull & Crossed Bombs" in white on the OD background of the aircraft. Some of this squadron's a/c had the rudders painted red.
On the silver B-24's of the later war era - the tail markings are as in the pic below, for the 320th BS, it is red where the pic in the above post has blue behind the skull.

Even the 320th BS's "Hack Aircraft" "Moby Dick Jr." carried a "Shark's Mouth."  :D

« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 02:45:42 AM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
RAAF Liberator
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2005, 02:54:12 PM »
I've looked at doing a shark mouthed B-24 before. What stopped me was the second bombardier window getting in the way and the area across the front immediately below the turret being stretched widthwise. With this 320th BS mouth the second window is not so much of a problem, though you would still lose the front four or so teeth over the stretched area.

I'd be happy to give this one a go if I could get a complete aircraft's worth of data, i.e. squadron letters, airframe number.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
RAAF Liberator
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »
See if I can track you down a nice OD B-24J from the 320th BS.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"