Author Topic: is there a tutorial?  (Read 410 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
is there a tutorial?
« on: January 20, 2005, 07:58:43 PM »
i went throu the help pages but it got me really confused.
is ther a tutorial on how to make a make, just a 1 base for each country. the simplest you can think of.

Offline FalconSS

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Negative
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 08:45:44 PM »
Just ask your question  here if you have trouble. :aok
Marty McFly

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
is there a tutorial?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 01:35:17 PM »
ok, so far im just tying to create the terrein itself, im currenty having trouble with setting the altitude, i can set the elevation manualy just fine, but the "auto type" check box seems to have no effect on elevation no matter what i do.

allso i tried to mess with the filters, but again i dont see any effect.

Offline Zixieo

• Copper Member
      • http://www.zerodesigns.bravehost.com
is there a tutorial?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 02:19:39 PM »
get Yahoo Messenger and add me:

tiefighter1942  

and Ill help you out.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
is there a tutorial?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 03:01:50 PM »
Originally posted by Flyboy
ok, so far im just tying to create the terrein itself, im currenty having trouble with setting the altitude, i can set the elevation manualy just fine, but the "auto type" check box seems to have no effect on elevation no matter what i do.
To use Auto Type, select an area you want to change. Then set the elevation you want, select the tile you want (grass, rock, etc), then check the Auto Type box. Right click on the area you want to set. The cell types will be assigned and set to the elevation that is shown in the Set Alt box.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
is there a tutorial?
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 05:20:33 PM »
so basicly this auto thingy is to save me a left mouse click? i fail to see the point of it :)  but thanks anyway.

still on elevation issues
can someone explain me how to use the filter?
allso i heard there are player made programs that help you with setting elevation, care to share? :)

i will probably continue to bombard the forum with clueless qeustions. please bear with me :)

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
is there a tutorial?
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 05:44:56 AM »
Originally posted by Flyboy
so basicly this auto thingy is to save me a left mouse click? i fail to see the point of it :)  but thanks anyway.

still on elevation issues
can someone explain me how to use the filter?
allso i heard there are player made programs that help you with setting elevation, care to share? :)

i will probably continue to bombard the forum with clueless qeustions. please bear with me :)
Yep, that's about it...saves a click or two.

The two most common tools for setting elevations are either photoshop or paint shop and mapmaker. Mapmaker is available at AH-Terrains and creates the .elv and .typ files for the TE from satellite data. Photoshop and paint shop are graphics programs that you can use to create and edit your elevation bmp to be imported into the TE.

A third tool is bmp2map. It takes a gray scale bmp and creates the .elv and .typ files for the TE.

There is now a fourth tool that looks GREAT, that's Tile Setter from MachNix that allows terrains created with terragen (another piece of software available on the web) to be imported for use with the TE. It also has quite a few other features.

Above all, take your time and start small. Learn the tools. After a while everything will come second nature and a large map will come easy. :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.