Author Topic: Finnish ranger, post-war CIA agent, dead at 88 years  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Finnish ranger, post-war CIA agent, dead at 88 years
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2005, 10:48:41 PM »
Norway did not use any norwegians to spy on the U.S.S.R.?  Are you sure about that... or is that you're impression because nobody was brought up on charges in Norway?

Offline patrone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2005, 01:40:39 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Sure we did, but very few Norwegians actually crossed the border into the USSR. When you're a flea on a bears butt, you'd better not bite too hard.

Of course ... no Norwegians were brought up on charges here ... they were afterall working for our own E-Service, not some foreign power.

:lol

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2005, 07:44:28 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Sure we did, but very few Norwegians actually crossed the border into the USSR. When you're a flea on a bears butt, you'd better not bite too hard.

Of course ... no Norwegians were brought up on charges here ... they were afterall working for our own E-Service, not some foreign power.
So... my comment about "obviously Norway didn't share the same phobia" is defenseless afterall?

And... I'm a bit curious as to how you know "very few" other than you're own wishfull revisionist history.

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2005, 09:36:12 AM »
At 60-70 it was common to call veterans "murderers" and "Slaughterer". Especially youth, they had communist mindset at the time and wanted Soviet Union to integrate Finland. Finns taught and were teached as the aggressor in WW2.  Only in the last decade (some) veterans have been honored like they should.

Sadly many of the finest men like Juvonen had to flee the madness that was going on at his homeland.Even today many of them are treated in discussions as war criminals and such. They have not received any apologies from government and i bet they wont for some time to come. We have woman that was communist in her youth, as a president, probably has been cursing the veterans herself when she was young.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 09:38:38 AM by Tuomio »

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2005, 09:37:53 AM »
*dp*

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2005, 10:03:10 AM »
Originally posted by Tuomio
At 60-70 it was common to call veterans "murderers" and "Slaughterer". Especially youth, they had communist mindset at the time and wanted Soviet Union to integrate Finland. Finns taught and were teached as the aggressor in WW2.  Only in the last decade (some) veterans have been honored like they should.  

Define "common".
I know there were few loud mouth "reds" in student organizations but saying it was "common" to call veterans murderers and slaughters is same as saying all swedes are gays.
I was at the school in 70s and at least I'm well aware who was the agressor...

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2005, 12:27:50 PM »
I know there were few loud mouth "reds" in student organizations but saying it was "common" to call veterans murderers and slaughters is same as saying all swedes are gays.

Huh was it THAT common? :D

J/K! :p

If you just wrestled with a bear and had a chunk of your butt bitten off, would you pee in the eye of the said sleeping bear? I doubt it.

Made political sense to hush things down, although from what I've read the reds in finland damn near started a coup.

In retrospect the 70's was a completely insane time with political activity everywhere.

It is my firm opinion that political activity equals insanity. :D

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 01:45:35 PM »
There was a pretty strong commie presence in student organizations and the media in the '70s, but I wouldn't say a coup was near at any time.

Those students today are very politically active and hold important positions, like the presidency. Most of them have toned down or even completely reversed, but I still can't understand why the public has forgiven everything to them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 03:07:41 PM by mora »