Author Topic: Some Thoughts  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Some Thoughts
« on: January 24, 2005, 04:02:00 PM »
Ill get right to the point....  KOTH is to darn long to keep my attn.  Im not sure how you fellas do it.

I have only flown in I think 3 events.  I have never come close to finishing an event.  Even with 2 round wins I lose the will to keep flying from all the fierce ganging.

I do have fun for a few rounds....  then someone calls some obsene plane for the next round and I cant help but yawn.

I should say that BigMax does an excellent job running the events.  Certianly no reflection on him.

I dunno if I will fly more KOTHs or not.  Probably not.  Who knows though.

On a side note I would like to say that I was impressed with WMLute this last event.  I had (Perhaps unfairly) pegged him as a guy who really just always kept it safe and did alot of BnZ and "Extending" until most of the planes were dead before he would really engauge.

This last round I encounterd him a couple times and as we came at each other I kept expecting him to just do a fly-by and "Extend" only to wait until I was not ready then engauge.  I was wrong, and I nearly paid the price for it on two occasions.  He merged hard and was ready to fight.  I wasnt expecting this and was caught out of position at least twice.

Lute..... Ill be ready for ya next time.

Guess thats all.

c yas up....  Dave

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
Some Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 04:55:44 PM »
whats the matter nomak? cant hendle a stuka? :D

jokes aside, i really enjoy flying the crappy planes in Koth, it makes for longer and more interesting fights imho.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: Some Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 05:15:21 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak
Ill get right to the point....  KOTH is to darn long to keep my attn.  Im not sure how you fellas do it.

I have only flown in I think 3 events.  I have never come close to finishing an event.  Even with 2 round wins I lose the will to keep flying from all the fierce ganging.

I do have fun for a few rounds....  then someone calls some obsene plane for the next round and I cant help but yawn.

I should say that BigMax does an excellent job running the events.  Certianly no reflection on him.

I dunno if I will fly more KOTHs or not.  Probably not.  Who knows though.

On a side note I would like to say that I was impressed with WMLute this last event.  I had (Perhaps unfairly) pegged him as a guy who really just always kept it safe and did alot of BnZ and "Extending" until most of the planes were dead before he would really engauge.

This last round I encounterd him a couple times and as we came at each other I kept expecting him to just do a fly-by and "Extend" only to wait until I was not ready then engauge.  I was wrong, and I nearly paid the price for it on two occasions.  He merged hard and was ready to fight.  I wasnt expecting this and was caught out of position at least twice.

Lute..... Ill be ready for ya next time.

Guess thats all.

c yas up....  Dave

I'm trying to remember the longest KOTH event ever.  I forget just how long it was, but I am guessing it was 5hours or more.  They are a bit tough to gut out, and it IS an exercise of will to finish the event.  

I for one enjoy the gang banging though.  Was Nov. or Dec (I forget EURO or USA) where I was being jumped by 3-5 guys at once each round.  Heck, one fight was so intense, after 2-3 min of a 5 on 1, BigMax privated me re. "you GOT to love KOTH" during the fight, and indeed he was correct.  I was havin' a blast.

T/Y for your kind words Nomak.  When you encounter me in a KOTH, expect to fight.   If we merge, we gonna have a go.

Love a fight.

Nomak.  Hope to see you next month.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Some Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 05:37:45 PM »
I agree with Nomak on this one. Bombers should be excluded from KOTH. As much as they're fun they just slow down the dynamic of the fight. From one side of radar circle to another it takes ages. It just doesn't do any good to adrenaline production.

I would also like to apologize to WMLute for me breaking the rules of engagement. It was my first KOTH round ever and I got a bit excited.

All in all it was great fun, some very good fights and I certainly, will come for more.

PS
Can BigMax combine the KOTH rules, customs, etc in one post and make it sticky?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Re: Some Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 05:52:28 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
I'm trying to remember the longest KOTH event ever.  I forget just how long it was, but I am guessing it was 5hours or more.

Saturday nights Koth last from 9pm est until  after 2 am....it went over 5 hrs....

the vals, stukas, A20s do not bother me.....to me they are no slower than the P40s or hurri1 or spit1 or 109e4 etc......

Lute, reason you did not get ganged as badly is because you was not the first wabbit!

til next month .........:)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Some Thoughts
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 08:21:25 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Can BigMax combine the KOTH rules, customs, etc in one post and make it sticky?

I don't have access to sticky anything, however, I know people who do... :aok

Great suggestion!, I'll get on it.

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Re: Some Thoughts
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 08:45:27 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak

Is this opinion shared by the E/KoTH players?  Does the event need to be shortened?

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Some Thoughts
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 03:58:29 AM »
Not sure how you can go about makin' it "shorter" and keep it a 3 win to take it all event.  

I agree they are sometimes pretty durn long feeling, but that's part of the fun.

Fine the way they are.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 07:04:59 AM »
Originally posted by BigMax
Is this opinion shared by the E/KoTH players?  Does the event need to be shortened?

Going by the amount of players that make it through to the end - it's probably too long.

I've tried two now and haven't been able to stay till the finish, think I gave up after 4 hours the last one.

maybe once you get X number of 2 timers - they fight it out in a "winner takes all round". They all pick a plane and the CM draws it out of a hat.

X could be 4 maybe - could be adjusted by the CM depending on number of participants etc even numbers would be good

Just observations from a new Koth'er

P.S> On stukas etc  - Jamusta and I fought each other for nearly the whole of one round in those damn stukas - shot the crap out of each other, used nearly every round we had, and as much as it was fun  - I  couldn't use my wrist for 15 minutes afterwards.

Give us fighters !    ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 07:09:27 AM by Redd »
I come from a land downunder

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Some Thoughts
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 10:52:43 AM »
Just a thought. If people turned to and fought the NEAREST plane when the fight is on or after they dispatched a guy it would shorten it up. That deals with the technique of players and hard to control. It would also eliminate the BIG Bullseye syndrome and get back to a place where you were rewarded for killing many people instead of a few near the end of each round.
{ I finally fixed my joystick so I hope to be back to soak up your ammo or auger at the worst possible time next month. }
I personally liked the marathons, it was my only hope to outlast everyone. Then again I had no reason to get up early the next day.
1 hour is to short and I can understand that 4 or 5 hours is a tad long for alot of people to endure.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
Some Thoughts
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 12:26:58 PM »
I have no answers or even suggestions for making the event shorter.

I do know that it is to long for me.  I will Im sure take part in future KOTH events although I wont hang around long enough to see the end of any given event.  Let alone be there long enough to get 3 round wins.

I think shortening the event would be a very good thing.  Im not sure but I would speculate that it would bring more players in also.

Again.... Just my thoughts here.

c yas up.... Dave

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Some Thoughts
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 05:46:27 PM »
It's always been long,  thats the fun in it..  It lets a variety of people get a chance of winning it..  The longest one was the one i participated in,  i believe 9 PM EST - 5 AM EST..  NOW thats a long event :D   But it was a blast,  sure i didnt have to work the next day,  but thats why its done on the weekends.  

Anywho,  I love it that it's long,  my opinion..

Offline streetstang

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 08:01:16 PM »
Originally posted by BigMax

I wont fly it BM simply because of the length of time needed to finish it.

I dont like starting something I'm not going to finish, and to go just a few rounds wouldn't be close to finishing it naturally.

I've flown in 1, that was a long long time ago. Sorry I forgot about that. It was fun, I had a great time and also learned alot about alot. But it was too long for me and that's why I haven't flown once since.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Re: Re: Some Thoughts
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 08:16:11 PM »
Originally posted by streetstang
I wont fly it BM simply because of the length of time needed to finish it.

I dont like starting something I'm not going to finish, and to go just a few rounds wouldn't be close to finishing it naturally.

CHICKEN   :p
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Some Thoughts
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 08:39:22 PM »
Let me say this as a general statement.

There are events people love and events people hate.  If you start trying to make an event work for everyone, it will fail.

The magic of any event is the the uniqueness of the event,  KoTH has always had a decent following of like minded players and I think the format should be left alone.

If players hunger for a shorter event of the same type, then create another type of KoTH.  How about PoTB (Prince of the Bump?). :D
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com