Author Topic: Question/suggestion for skin DLs  (Read 615 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Question/suggestion for skin DLs
« on: January 24, 2005, 04:35:35 PM »
As a cable modem user whose been around since the first custom skins started showing up, this hasn't been an issue for me, but I am wondering -

Suppose someone on a dialup joins the game today and starts getting all 157 Mb of skins downloaded to them.   How long would it take to get them all?   Do cable/DSL users get more skins DL in a period of time due to their faster connect?

Would it make sense to break up the downloadable skin pack into several, by country or plane type so people with dialup can:

1) more easily download the skins (157 Mb on a dialup?), or

2) DL a skin they might be crazy about without having to wait in game while every .res file in the queue in front of it is downloaded?

Or maybe there could be a link to download a particular .res file from the aircraft/vehicle information pages - each aircraft page could show thumbnails of all the skins available for it.

Maybe I'm thinking too much.    But I sorta wonder if alot of dialup users don't have all the skins yet.

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
Question/suggestion for skin DLs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 06:47:08 PM »
I used to be on crappy dialup (top DL speed from anything 2.8 kbs) and I never had a problem getting all the skins before the next batch came out.  Obviously though if you started now you would be getting them for a very long time on dialup.  But one thing that gets annoying is now they come in so fast that I have a hard time remembering the new ones to go check when I land.  I know it sounds like an odd issue, but I really like to see the new skins.  I guess this then goes into the issue of being able to easily identify the new skins.  Something for a different thread.
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB