Author Topic: road placement  (Read 336 times)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
road placement
« on: January 23, 2005, 12:12:20 PM »
back again with another question.

I was fooling around with supply factories and road placement today and encountered several problems.

1. when adding a new road, it always starts heading north. is there any way to make it start another direction?

2. the roads start and end more or less in the middle of nowhere. is there a specific place on the factory/airfield to place the starting and destination points?

3. tried the 'create all' button. all it did was crashing the editor each time.

4. can a factory supply more then one field?

5. does a factory automatically supply every field in the same zone?

6. what does the 'visual only' checkbox mean in road properties
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 12:36:02 PM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
road placement
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 02:35:32 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
back again with another question.

I was fooling around with supply factories and road placement today and encountered several problems.

1. when adding a new road, it always starts heading north. is there any way to make it start another direction?

>Sure; click on the tile you want to start your road/track on, then drag the end point around.  Keep adding segments for each change in direction.  The tracks are stored as ASCII text and can be sorted if you name each one.

2. the roads start and end more or less in the middle of nowhere. is there a specific place on the factory/airfield to place the starting and destination points?

>Roads don’t need to run from the factory to the fields.  They can be set to supply an area at the destination or just the field etc.  This allows you to “resupply” both the field and the town or a whole factory…

3. tried the 'create all' button. all it did was crashing the editor each time.

>I don’t use it myself but hand inserting roads can take as long as building the terrain to begin with.  One thing you need to know is the length of the roads determine the speed of the convoy/train/barge so be careful not to make them too long or short.

4. can a factory supply more then one field?

>The pre-built road convoys etc. actually carry all the supplies when strat is turned on.

5. does a factory automatically supply every field in the same zone?

>Yes, but you need the roads.

6. what does the 'visual only' checkbox mean in road properties

If you want to add or extend roads that don’t have convoys but are for eye candy, then you can use ‘visual only’ roads.

GL, I like roads. :)

Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
road placement
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 03:01:06 PM »
Thanks again, for the quick help! :aok

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
road placement
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 09:06:33 AM »
Yet another supply question:

can i place the Destination point of a road in the middle of grass and set it to supply an area covering the fields or do roads need to end at an AF/town?

Is there a way to check if AF are supplied or not?

What happens if an AF is in two different supply areas of the same factory? is it supplied twice?

Thanks for bearing with me and my probably stupid questions...

This is how far I got

« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 09:13:55 AM by Schatzi »

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
road placement
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 09:48:12 AM »
Originally posted by Easyscor
>The pre-built road convoys etc. actually carry all the supplies when strat is turned on.

does that mean i dont have to build roads from every (different) factory to the supply points? is it enough if each field/group is connected to one of the factories as long as theres every type of factory in each zone?

(would love to get my hands on one of the MA maps raw files.... could look all that up )

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
road placement
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 02:23:36 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
does that mean i dont have to build roads from every (different) factory to the supply points? is it enough if each field/group is connected to one of the factories as long as theres every type of factory in each zone?

(would love to get my hands on one of the MA maps raw files.... could look all that up )
I'm using someone elses equipment while I'm out of town so this will be from memory.

Look at any of the smaller MA maps.  Notice the roads only travel a short distance, about 9-12 miles and most of them run north (or is it south?)  None of them run from a factory to an airfield, it's not needed and long roads with active convoys would cause the trucks to run at extreemly high speeds.  Note that the factories, City and HQ also have supply tracks, otherwise they couldn't be resupplied.

It sounds like you're placing your roads by hand.  Each time, before you build your terrain, be sure to set the check box to build the convoys or whatever it says.  That way the truck or whatever will be installed into your terrain.  I suppose you could do it manually in the AH1 Editor but I don't think you can in the last release.

GL
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
road placement
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 05:08:39 AM »
I see. All i need to do is make sure that every zone has all kinds  of factories and that a road with convoy is going to every AF/Fac/City/HQ and supplies it with 'all country objects' as a resource type. No matter where it starts.

Thank you for the help.

On a side note: I have the TE help file as a complete text and thought about adding all im learning atm, kind of completing it. Do you think its worth the work and posting it here?