Author Topic: Tank Gunnery help pls.  (Read 485 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Tank Gunnery help pls.
« on: September 18, 2000, 04:26:00 AM »
I've been doing a lot of Panzering recently and need some advice to improve my gunnery - especially killing acks.
I understand the principle of bracketing a target and can usually get in a 200yd box with a couple of shots (1 in front and 1 behind). The difficulty is then getting a direct hit. I can spend 8 or 10 shots getiing the one on target. I am adjusting the barrel elevation by about 1/4 of a vertical line each time - is that too much ??

In terms of estimating range are there any tips or guidlines?? I am trying to work out how people can get me in one or two pings in a tank battle when it takes me 4 or 5 to get a range sorted. There was a previous thread about the mils markers but it seems to work backwards.

Sparks

eskimo

Tank Gunnery help pls.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2000, 08:03:00 AM »
It simply takes experience to learn to estimate distances in the tank gun.  Always zoom in all the way so that it looks the same, for comparison sake.  If you are using 4 or 5 rounds to sight in an enemy tank, that's not too bad.  You will get even better.

As far as ack goes, are you using HE rounds?  they allow you to miss by quite a bit.  IE, close is good enough on ack.

If ever possible, seek the high ground when shooting at ack and other ground targets.  It makes it much easier, even if you are at the extent of your range.

eskimo

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Tank Gunnery help pls.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2000, 02:52:00 PM »
Thanks again Eskimo - I'll have to keep practicing  

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Tank Gunnery help pls.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2000, 06:32:00 AM »
One thing that improved my gunnery a LOT was the F8 key. Zoom in to max, then hit F8 and the 8 on they keypad. This will give you the ability to look down at the lower range markers at max zoom. It works great for long-range shooting at anything.

One note about seeking an elevated firing platform. Try to find a nice level spot facing your target. If you don't you'll watch the shell arc off to one side of the sight's center line. If you can hit targets like that, great. If not, I'd suggest finding a little hill to sit on while firing. Preferably with a level top.

Delta 6's Flight School
"My art is the wings of an aircraft through the skies, my music the deep hum of a prop as it slices the air, my thrill the thunder of guns tearing asunder an enemy plane."
Flakbait
19 September 2000