Author Topic: Challenger accident  (Read 1183 times)

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 01:04:29 PM »
I saw it happen in the librairy at my school..  Sad indeed..

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005, 01:05:14 PM »
But what really happend?

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2005, 01:56:24 PM »
Grun

You don't want to know.  I've read enough of the mishap report to not want to know more.  Nothing damning in there that didn't make it to the public, but some of the other details are pretty sad and upsetting.

The root cause of course was the lack of a safety oriented mindset within the culture at NASA that led them to ignore multiple safety red flags.  The launch should have never have happened.  Those who could halt the launch were under pressure from above, those who knew there could be a problem weren't given a say, and those in between were caught between pressures and wondering how much of a safety margin was really built into the system.  In the end, the O-Ring was the part that failed, and it was determined that the conditions at launch were way out of design specs but the people who warned about it were not listened to.

It's fairly close to what happened with the next disaster, except there it was misplaced engineering complacency and a simple lack of time to think the problem through.  Like the older mission...  Mercury? where they didn't know if they should tell the astronaut that they thought his heatshield might be loose...  These sorts of decisions get made all the time in the real world and sometimes a corner is cut that causes a fatal system failure.  Unfortunately shxt happens and people who think they're doing the right thing may be overlooking something important.  I guarantee you that on both shuttle disaster flights, there was a guy wearing a robe outside the gate saying that the flights were doomed because they went against god's will.  Should we have listened to him simply because he was right about the flights being doomed?  Should we listen to every junior engineer who thinks he knows more than everyone else?

The line was drawn somewhere, the astronauts knew the risks including the very real risk of human error on the part of the supporting agencies, and THEY STILL WENT.  That's the important thing, and it's why they're going to launch a shuttle this year if at all possible.  Losers quit, winners press on.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2005, 01:57:58 PM »
Yea it weas tragic mismanagement. :(

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 02:06:07 PM »
Not that you care eagl and was a well written description of events. But that was Grun continuing a stalking fetish he has for me, not a question of past events..  8)

kinda evident in how he asked the question..  as if I had an alternative theory..  lol
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 02:24:14 PM by TheDudeDVant »

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 02:08:37 PM »
You continue imagining whatver you want kappa.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005, 03:19:15 PM »
http://onlineethics.org/essays/shuttle/bois.html

A good read. Wasn't just a breakdown on NASA's part.

Odd to note that all US astronauts that died in accidents in the program were killed between the last week of January and the first week of February.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 03:41:22 PM »
I think I was in the 3rd or 4th grade.  Saw it on the news in the morning before school.   Got all my school stuff together and when I got to the school grounds (about a 2 min walk from our condo), ran to my fellow JPO's (Junior Police Officers) and yelled for them to take the flag down to half mast.  Onizuka was from Hawaii, and the state mourned for quite a while after that.  

Good post eagl.  

mauser

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2005, 04:20:16 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
I was on the air at KWCS-FM and watching it live on TV. Billy Joe Royal's "Burned Like a Rocket" was playing. I yanked it and removed it from our playlist.

That is too weird.. coincidence or was it on for the launch?

You guys who were in school... I was teaching special ed and showing to my class. I don't remember some of your names.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Challenger accident
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2005, 04:30:21 PM »
I was also watching the Launch on TV live when it happened.

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2005, 06:12:37 PM »
At home sick from the flu 11 years old, watched it live.

Odd coincidence that a few of us were sick from the flu that day.

to the crew of the Challenger and Columbia.

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
Challenger accident
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2005, 07:46:57 PM »
I watched it once on TV but that was it.  I wouldn't look at it again.   For me it's a lot like 9/11 but on a smaller scale.  May they RIP...

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 08:04:56 PM »
I was driving a tow truck at the time, out on a call. I remember the exact spot on the road, the weather, the traffic light, everything. I took a half day and went home. I taped most of it, my daughter actually found it the other night.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2005, 08:21:56 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
That is too weird.. coincidence or was it on for the launch?
It was sheer coincidence. We ran reel to reel tapes from Century 21 Programming in Dallas. Each tape had about 30 songs and we had 3 decks. It took me about 10 seconds to realise what was playing.:(
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
Challenger accident
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2005, 08:36:11 PM »
that is one thing I remember like it happened yesterday.

to Challenger crew

to Columbia crew

:(