Author Topic: Stall Recovery  (Read 490 times)

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Stall Recovery
« on: November 18, 2001, 10:53:00 PM »
I had a P51 at 15K to 20K tonight.  I got slow and put it into a stall.  I pushed forward all the way on the stick and throttled back.  The stall horn quit, I was nose down, 200mph.  I went to full throttle and went right back into a stall.  I checked for damage and found none. I did the same thing several times, making sure I was out of the stall, and it did the same thing until I augered into the water.

I prefer to keep it fast and stay away from stalls.  But it sometimes can't be avoided.  Any tips on getting out of a stall?

Thanks,
Gunner <CAF>
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Stall Recovery
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2001, 11:17:00 PM »
Normally fast stick forward and then slight correction to fix a possible roll will bring you out of stall / spin.

However if you have flaps, fuel tanks, bombs etc. on your pony will most likely not come out of the stall. Drop those first thing you do.

When your plane seems to straighten out of the stall, dont throttle up immediately. Instead trim down the nose and let it gain a little more speed.. Only when you can safely pull the stick back a little, apply throttle again gently.

Situation is different however if you get into a flat spin, then you'll most likely need full throttle to be able to do anything about it.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Stall Recovery
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2001, 03:23:00 PM »
Try opposite rudder to slow the roll or spin in a shorter amount of time.  It'll give you a bit more time to work with on getting her back in controllable flight before you play footsies with the ground.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Stall Recovery
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2001, 06:27:00 PM »
It's important with the pony to be very gentle when trying to recover from stalls/spins.  It will go into an accelerated stall very easily if you snatch the stick.  Keep the nose down to gain speed then pull out of the dive very gently, increasing throttle as the nose comes up towards the horizon...

--------------------
A "Runstang weenie" and proud of it.

Click on image to go to the 412th home page...

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Stall Recovery
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2001, 07:46:00 PM »
Thanks all. I will have to try some off line and see if I can get into the same situation.  

I have had no problem getting out of stalls with the LA7, but something was just not right with this stall.  It seemed like I was getting in an accelerated stall.  

Gunner <CAF>
Gunner
Cactus Air Force