Author Topic: Fuel settings  (Read 537 times)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Fuel settings
« on: February 05, 2001, 12:25:00 PM »
Hello all,
I'm having trouble beleiving the fuel ranges in AH. No matter what I fly, I try to take 100% fuel (and the guages do say full at take off) yet I run out in mere minutes. It's hardly enough to fly from one base to the nearest enemy base, let alone see any action.
Am I missing some thing obvious? Should I be swiching tanks? (I thought it was automatic..) ?

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Fuel settings
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
In the Main Arena there is currently a fuel multiplier of 2.

Most of the planes have more than one fuel tank and you can switch between them with Shift+F. If there is an "A" infront of the fuel tank name (for instance "A-AUX") it means that the computer automatically will change between tanks.
Once a tank is empty you can no longer select it with Shift+F.

I compiled a list of endurance for each plane at 100% power with 100% fuel and drop tanks if available at my homepage. A 109 will run about 25 min on full external tanks and full throttle for instance. 43 min with a DT as well. If running less than 100% throttle you can of course stay flying longer.
 http://home14.inet.tele.dk/snefens/fuel.zip

------------------
Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34
My own homepage

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Snefens (edited 02-05-2001).]
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Fuel settings
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

What's been bothering me is that they all seem to run out at once! I see that a tank's empty, cycle through and find they're all at the same level, which kind of makes the process redundant.

About the automatic tanks, can't I get manual control on these?

(control fraek....)

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Fuel settings
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2001, 09:45:00 PM »
Sure, just change the fuel tank before you start your flying. As long as there is no "A-..." in the text it will not change tanks by itself.
When changing tanks you will notice that the desingation with the "A-" infront is also present without the "A-" (Both "A-Main" and "Main" for instance). One of them the change is on auto, the other you have to change between tanks yourself.

The Auto changer will usually change tanks so it keeps the best flying characteristics. For instance witn a plane with fuel tanks in its wings (Yak-9) it will use fuel from both tanks so you will keep a stable performance.
You can see this if you watch the fuel tank text. It will change between tanks every 10 secs or so.
This will off course mean that once it has drained one of the wings it will have used about as much fuel from the other wing tank, making both tanks empty at about same time.

I normally keep it on Auto fuel, unless I get a fuel leak, in which case I will use as much fuel from the leaking tank manually before it runs empty. Ctrl-D shows your damage.

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Snefens (edited 02-06-2001).]
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Fuel settings
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
So basicaly you're saying that it's best to merely choose an initial fuel percentage, and then, except for drop tanks and battle damage, not "play" with it?

Mange tak :-)

LJK Raubvogel

Fuel settings
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2001, 12:43:00 PM »
It depends on what planes you fly. I've noticed that the Macchi C.205 uses the aux tank first if you let it on auto. But, if you go to manual, you can use the small wing tanks first, and it seems to handle better like that. Something I always do is to take 50 or 75% fuel, and drop tank(s). Then, you can burn up the drop tanks first, and if you get bounced, you can drop them, and have a light plane with only 50 or 75% fuel. Hope that makes sense.

Another thing to remember is there is a fuel multiplier in the MA. You are actually using fuel much faster than a plane would in real life.

[This message has been edited by LJK Raubvogel (edited 02-07-2001).]