Author Topic: Skuzzy...P38G skins question  (Read 1342 times)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Skuzzy...P38G skins question
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 05:39:46 AM »
Personally I think that BOTH external visuals and performance of the plane should be what determins if a skin can be made for the "wrong model".

In the P51B and P51C case these are identical in both appearance and performance. Obvisously ok to make C skins for B model.

IF the P38G and P38H are identical in both shape and performance then it should be ok as well. If they arnt identical in performance then it should be a NO. Simply because if one day the H model is added it will be impossible for the pilots to know if they are fighting a G or a H, if there are wrong skins on wrong models.

Though what I would like to see to avoid this mess is that if two models (like the P51B and P51C) are identical that two instnances of that plane are made in game. Since niether the ballancing or modeling has to be remade it really shouldnt be a big deal.

By adding all the totally identical models into the game we would kill this debate.

So please just clone the P51B and add a P51C plus if performance of P38H is identical to the P38G then add that one as well.

Tex

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 07:24:43 AM »
I agree with TexMurphy, up to a point.   Both external visuals and performance should be used as tests, but I doubt there are many different sub-types that have identical performance.    So performance differences become the subjective deciding factor - and probably HTC is wrestling with this too.   Are the differences significant enough to warrant spending HTC's limited resources to develop a separate model?   And remember every model adds more to the download size, which is in everyone's best interest to keep as small as possible.

Here is my proposed solution:   Change the P-38G aircraft selection text to read "P-38F/G/H", and allow all the F, G, and H skins to be created for this model.    If and when HTC ever does add a separate P-38F or H model, then the corresponding skins can be removed and reallocated to the proper model.  In the meantime, the community benefits from all the cool small intake P-38 skins the skinners can make.

The only downside I see to this is that H skin flyers are flying a plane with a G's performance.   Honestly I don't know how significant the performance differences are, but the alternative is going without H skins, so  perhaps the trade-off is acceptable.   And it would only be a trade-off until a true H is added.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2005, 08:08:10 AM »
I just wana clarify.

I dont want HTC to spend time on adding a H model if there is just a tiney difference in performance to the G. Simply because that requires ballancing, which now that we have 3 P38s is better spent elsewhere.

But if they are identical in both shape and performance just as the B and C ponies are then it should be done. Just as it should be done with the ponies. ;)

Tex

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 08:26:15 AM »
Or just change the selection box text to "P-51B/C" instead of "P-51B", since they are identical in performance and adding a cloned plane would take up more space.

There are performance differences between the H and the F and G, but how significant they are is open to debate.    Only HTC can decide whether its worth it to model the H separately, but for myself I see bigger gaps in the planeset elsewhere that are in more need of filling.

In general, I think we agree.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 08:31:39 AM »
Except that we could get 15 more Pony B/C skins if they where spilt.. ;)

But yeah in general we do agree..

Tex

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2005, 09:14:21 AM »
Just FYI. The P-38H-Lo and the P-38H-5-Lo had 90HP per engine more power than the previous models in military power, and 100HP per engine more than previous models in WEP. This is one reason I had supported the P-38H instead of the G. You would have had the best plane first, any other models would have been lesser performing.

I don't think many players have their detail settings high enough, nor their resolution high enough, to use minute detail differences between skins as a means of identification, I know I don't. Almost all of the H and older models were painted OD, and differences in nose art and squad ID markings are not useful in seperating the models even in real life photos. As Dan said, even among squads there were F, G, and H model planes with identical squad markings and paint schemes. So in real life, the enemy did not know if they were fighting an F, a G, or an H, by looking at the paint. Even later model replacement planes were painted the exact same way, and nose art often just had a different number (Porky, Porky II, etc.)
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2005, 12:01:39 PM »
Pretty please can we skin F and H paint jobs too! :)

Corky Smith's P38H landing both in AH and for real.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2005, 12:13:53 PM »
At this point, I think we should all wait to hear what Pyro has to say. I'm sure he has his reasons for his position, and we've had our say, so let's let him have his.

Then if he doesn't agree with us, we'll just have to kill him.:cool:
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2005, 04:02:01 PM »
Came across an interesting paragraph in one of my P38 books.  It details an 80th FS Headhunters fight on November 2, 1943  over Rabaul:

"The 80th FS was forced to fight for it's life against a veritable hornest nest of Japanese fighters below the overcast.

They finally withdrew due to a shortage of fuel, rather then opponants after a vicious fight that brought it's pilots nine new victims for the loss of  two P38s.  Lt. Alan Hill (P38G-15 43-2211) had downed two Zekes and claimed a third as a probable, all of which doubled his previous score.  Fellow 80th FS pilots Lt. Ed DeGraffenried (six kills total P38F-5 42-12643) and John Jones (eight kills total-P38H-5 42-66820) meanwhile had claimed their last victims of the war, each being credited with one Zero and a probable."

Note that there were Fs, Gs, and Hs, all involved in this fight, flying with the same squadron at the same time.

Dan/Slack
Who is finding tons of F and H skins for the Aces and other well known 38 drivers, but very few Gs.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2005, 04:17:40 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Who is finding tons of F and H skins for the Aces and other well known 38 drivers, but very few Gs.

Me!   I have profiles of about 100 P-38s.   Over half of those are probably Js and Ls, out of the 40 or so remaining, I have only 8 G subjects.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2005, 01:56:42 PM »
Any word yet from Pyro yet Skuzzy?

Gotta admit, Danny Robert's 433rd FS, 475th FG P38H-1 skin doesn't look too bad.  And I wanna fly it now! :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters