Author Topic: the real :how to use of rockets  (Read 1760 times)

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
the real :how to use of rockets
« on: October 04, 2000, 02:38:00 PM »
hello
now Im in the process of ground attack, Im flying the f4ud anyone can help me with tips and tricks to use them???
-better distance betwen target and me to shot'em?
-best angle to attack?
-velocity?
-any film with a tutorial "how to attack ground ?? or anything else??
-some one have shoted down another plane or bomber with rockets? any screen shot?? film?? to share with me??
well just for couriosity because Im in the ground attack moment  

any help will be apreciated

Lepton

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2000, 05:26:00 PM »
I'd far from an expert with rockets, and frankly I don't think they are very effective, but here's what I know.

The effective range is only about 1000 yds, so you've basically got to be in gun range to use them. The warheads on rockets are pretty small, so anti-aircraft guns are about all I use them on. I've had some luck against M3's with them, but no success against Ostwinds or Panzers.

I use about a 45 degree diving attack on the target. A custom gunsight with a mark below center is very helpful for aiming. A little offline practice can help you get your mark in just the right spot for you. Be generous with your rockets! I usually use em in groups of 3 or 4 on a single target.

Practice, practice, practice. Going in against a fully protected airfield is a dangerous business.

Good luck, good hunting, and soft landings!

eskimo

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2000, 01:11:00 AM »
Rockets are great against ground targets that don't shoot back.  On fuel, ammo, barracks and factories, I set my salvo to two and fire them point blank.  I attack at about a 20 degree angle and put my gun sight just above the target.

I have also lobbed them from 10K+ on ack.  Sometimes you get lucky and get a few.  If you can fire them straight down, starting at 15K (and very slow) and pulling out at 10K you stand a chance of hitting some without getting shot at.

eskimo

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2000, 03:30:00 AM »
Here's a little pratice manuever for you:

2 passes with rockets and bombs to take out 2 acks and the vehicle hangar at a vehicle field. Then it's ready for troops    .

Set your rocket salvo to 1/2 or your load, ex. you have 6 rockets set salvo to 3. approach vehicle field between 8 and 10k, 8k being min. alt to avoid fire(all though ack doesn't start firing untill somewhere around 5k at vehicle field), 10k being max to avoid overspeed on intial dive. I usually cut throttle 1 min before drop and get airspeed between 200 and 250 mph. Line up your approach so you have the 2 acks in a straight line. When you are about 65-75 degrees above the first ack target (45 degree min attack angle, the higher the angle the more success I have), begin dive, don't forget to select the rockets    . Line up the ack in the center of your gunsite and hold it there steady. When you see the ack start firing, let go the fist salvo of rockets, pull the nose up to the next ack and hold it for about 2 seconds, let go the last salvo of rockets. Extend a bit and climb back up into a loop, slecting bombs, keep the same salvo setting. Roll your a/c upright and the end of the loop, line up on the hangar and hold the dive until about 3-4k above the target, release and zoom away. Look back and see the hangar smoking    

This attack works everytime! 2 rockets are enough to kill ack, but the more you salvo the better chances you will hit it if not steady on target. After you master the 2 pass vehicle field attack, set your salvo to 2 and practice on a small airfield    . If you set up your first pass to take out 2 of the 40mm, extend and line up the last 40mm and any other ack. After 2 passes, it is best to climb back up to 8-10k and get airspeed up to 200 again, then you can set up passes on the rest of the ack. Remember, speed and altitude is your freind when attacking the ack at an airfield, and if you are getting low on both, take the time to climb up and start again. With a little practice (and luck)you can take out the ack at a small airfield no problem    . Oh yeah, get the vehicle hangar at an airfield first, or be aware of and/or avoid it until last. Another thing when attacking an airfield, try not to fly in a straight line for very long, only long enough to get the target in the center of the site and you only need about 2 seconds steady on the target before release.

I use these methods in the F4U, P47, P38 and P51. If your a/c is equiped with dive brakes, don't forget to set them before the dive, then I usually release them on the pullout for max zoom.

If you want, email me and I can work with you H2H or in the TA and demonstrate for you.

ts

[This message has been edited by tshred (edited 10-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by tshred (edited 10-05-2000).]

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2000, 10:29:00 AM »
tnx's to all great help guys, I will try this things ofline now ,because my home connection is failing,
sure TSHRED when my connection is again I will drop ya note.
If anyone have some film showing all this I will really apreciated if ya send it to me because I'm making a database of tutorial films  

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2000, 03:41:00 PM »
Terra, as soon as my new rudder pedals arrive (this Sat) I'll make a film of the vehicle field attack and send it to you. I'm not flying now because my old ones are broken. It's been 3 days and I'm getting restless  ..........

ts

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2000, 11:09:00 AM »
yes! yes! TSHRED I cant wait for that film  
tnx's bro!  

see ya

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2000, 11:16:00 AM »
Prob with films is I can't see the weapons/rockets firing.. Is it just me or is that normal?
Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

RBNN

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2000, 08:19:00 AM »
Tshred can you send me those films also?

RBNN

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2000, 09:21:00 AM »
1 rocket is enough to kill an ack.
Rockets are alot of fun, and are effective on all ground targets except the panzer.

I've posted several films on this board of using rockets.  A couple were taking down V bases as Tshred described.  A couple are working the ack on airbases.  In the thread "JABO: Use what you got" are a couple of interesting films.  One is using a P47-D30 to flatten 2 V bases in 1 sortie.  The other real interesting one is using a P38 with rockets to deack A26 in the middle of a furball  

Takes some kojones to really use rockets effectively, because you really gotta expose yourself to ground fire.

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2000, 09:51:00 AM »
ok cavemanj I will check those films
tnx's  

one question why you cant kill panzers with rockets???
is this a bug?? rockets should kill panzers
I dont like to use cannons to kill em because dont look very real and ofcourse I use the f4ud (no cannons)  

[This message has been edited by terracota (edited 10-10-2000).]

Offline NHMadmax

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mofsw.com
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2000, 08:17:00 AM »
Can you send me the films to please and thanks  

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »
G'day ,

If you havent allready, check out Minotaur's Jabo gunsight thread.

It's an awesome sight that makes JABO a VERY precise method of attack.
Work's for me anyway

<S> Blue
Kampfgeschwader 200

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2000, 10:58:00 PM »
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum9/HTML/000953.html

Check this thread out.  In there you will also find a link to a terrain which u can use for practice.

SKurj