Author Topic: Newbie questions...  (Read 423 times)

Offline cp52

• Zinc Member
Newbie questions...
« on: November 22, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
1-Am having trouble tracking planes- seem very small- should I be able to see them before they get within 500 yds?  All I see is plane type and distance header until they get that close.  Also, dark terrain doesn't help- any way to lighten it or change it?

2- Frame rate runs from 7-23 but only uses 15K of available 64k memory?  How can I get frame rate up?  (Dell 450mhz Pentium 2 with 384meg RAM, TNT2 32MB video card.)

3- Is there a comparison of planes anywhere that lists ammo/hit power, speed, turning ability in one place (besides AH standard charts)?

Thanks- looking forward to hitting someone one day!

cp52

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Newbie questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2001, 05:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by cp52:
1-Am having trouble tracking planes- seem very small- should I be able to see them before they get within 500 yds?  All I see is plane type and distance header until they get that close.  Also, dark terrain doesn't help- any way to lighten it or change it?

A yard is about 1 metre.  Can you see a plane in complete detail further than half a kilometer away?  Not likely when it is a small fighter.  AH approximates wide fields of view with the normal look-around zoom setting so it is probably a bit smaller then it would be in real life.  Don't forget there is a zoom key [z] for the view as well.

If the terrain looks too dark, increase the brightness of your monitor and increase the gamma setting on your video card.

2- Frame rate runs from 7-23 but only uses 15K of available 64k memory?  How can I get frame rate up?  (Dell 450mhz Pentium 2 with 384meg RAM, TNT2 32MB video card.)

Check out the hardware forum for suggestions on tweaking.  Although the TNT2 is probably the bottleneck in your system.  I upgraded from the TNT2 to a geForce 2MX and got much better frame rates.  Try decresing screen resolution if you can't get any better fps.

3- Is there a comparison of planes anywhere that lists ammo/hit power, speed, turning ability in one place (besides AH standard charts)?

Not a formal one.  I suggest reading through the older help threads and aircraft/vehicles forum for more info.

--------------------
A "Runstang weenie" and proud of it.

Click on image to go to the 412th home page...