Author Topic: wings ripping off speed  (Read 379 times)

Offline RTO

• Copper Member
wings ripping off speed
« on: February 02, 2005, 09:07:03 PM »
Just wondering at what speed B24's can safely dive at before their wings rip off?  Would 370+ be safe???

Offline JB35

• Nickel Member
wings ripping off speed
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 02:30:42 AM »
Why would you want to dive in a Buff anyways ?

If you are on a bombing run fly straight and lvl  and get your speed to equal out by looking at your E6B , then calibrate and drop.

Its that simple.

But if your implying as to dive bombing in a Buff, I hope you rip your wings every time you push foreward on that stick before you loose your bomb load.

we have enough dweebery in divebombing buffs that we dont need more added to it .

However if your running from someone and you have dropped your load from a lvl flight , then good luck to you sir.

Just when it starts creeking and popping and the nose starts raising , your fixing to lose your wings or elevators.

<> please no offence

Enjoy the game and hope to see you in the skies

Offline RTO

• Copper Member
wings ripping off speed
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 04:19:45 AM »
Boy,  aren't we the assumimg type!   Never said I was doing it, did it or contemplating it.   Just so happens I dove in at a set of B24's in a 109 doing 450mph and catching him at a slow pace.  So I turned on the ol' camera to film the engagement.  I thought it funny how the wings didn't rip off and that's why I ask the question of safe diving speed.  Looking at the film recorded speed on Buffs neared 380pmh.

RLTW

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
wings ripping off speed
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 04:43:35 AM »
I think the max speed never to exceed was 305mph in the b24? Dont remember where is saw that.... but still think the bombers are surprisingly stable at high speed....
This goes also for lancs

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
wings ripping off speed
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 08:24:29 AM »
Just read the sticker on the dashboard.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
wings ripping off speed
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 01:54:50 PM »
they must of had alot of alt, I tryed diving back to home base in a b24 and even with manually trimming the elevator it did not want to go above 350 with out raising the nose back up. never ripped wings though......

on another note.I landed a formation of 24's the other day and right before I touched down the 2 drones disappeared, yet it still said I landed all 3..is this a new feature now?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
wings ripping off speed
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 03:32:16 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
they must of had alot of alt, I tryed diving back to home base in a b24 and even with manually trimming the elevator it did not want to go above 350 with out raising the nose back up. never ripped wings though......

on another note.I landed a formation of 24's the other day and right before I touched down the 2 drones disappeared, yet it still said I landed all 3..is this a new feature now?

Deffenetly not a feature. Having all three buffs visiible would be a feature. Probably a bug. Might want to report it to the bug forums.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
wings ripping off speed
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 11:00:51 PM »
Big thing is to really be careful with pulling G's in a B24.  Loaded it'll shed the wings at only 2.75G, unloaded it'll still lose them before 3G.  Speedwise, 384IAS and it'll start losing parts, usually the rudder and ailerons.... diving a B24 is pretty limiting as a result.

-Soda