Author Topic: Gunnery again............  (Read 1792 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Gunnery again............
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2005, 01:15:12 PM »
As I mentioned before in this thread and in the past months, I have the same prob.  Dead six is a waste of ammo.  What I find ineresting are two things.  
1) This month, I am not the only one complaining.
2) There is always that guy that shreads my plane from 800 or more out while on my six and not flying in a straight line.  Now, either I seem to run into the snipers a lot, or this thing is not consistant.  There are times that I cannot miss no matter what I do, but for the most part, a dead 6 shot is just a waist of ammo for me.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2005, 01:34:02 PM »
Originally posted by Zanth
I wish a computing sight was turned on somewhere like training arena so we players could see what we are doing wrong.  I know it would be a help to me.

The LCS (lead computng gunsite) is available in the off-line mode.  I use it quite frequently for practice.  (although I still need lots more practice).  I don't remember the steps for enabling it - if you do a search for LCS you should be able to find it just like I did.  But, It is available - I was just using it yesterday.

It puts little green +'s where the guns will hit depending on how many g's you're pulling.  Usually seperate one for guns and cannon.  It shows you how much lead you need from different angles, etc.  A very valuable practice tool for learning to compute lead.  Give it search - you'll be glad you did!

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2005, 01:40:05 PM »
Stang, turning the tracers off has little to do with surprising an opponent.  Maybe that worked three years or so ago when I first started doing it, but enough people fly without tracers now that it's a common sight.

There are really two main reasons for turning off tracers.  First, firing without tracers removes the tendency of many to "walk" the tracers to the target; they must actually compute the proper lead in their heads and fire accordingly.  Second, tracers tend to clutter up the front view.  Turning them off makes it easier for some to see a target and determine if they are hitting it effectively.

-- Todd/Leviathn

storch

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2005, 02:25:31 PM »
Originally posted by Swoop
Use the Force.

I do.

he does :D or maybe .aim on storch, I'm not sure which

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2005, 02:32:50 PM »
I have noticed that I have not been hitting **** since 2.02. Shots that were a definite LOCK I know for a fact missed. THen shots where I was spraying like mad because my previous shots weren't hitting were met with a second delay then a tail falling off. Usually at close range when I KNOW I didn't hit anything. I think hit sprites are a bit fubar'd right now.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2005, 04:05:44 PM »
Originally posted by Zanth
I wish a computing sight was turned on somewhere like training arena so we players could see what we are doing wrong.  I know it would be a help to me.

There is one for the TA.

Control+tab enables friendly lock mode.  Hit tab until you get your target (just as you might with an enemy you're tracking) and it will have a little green crosshair.  That's where your pipper needs to be if you want to hit em.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2005, 04:07:01 PM »
All you finding dead 6 shots difficult even under D400, im curious, what do you aim for??

dead6 i always aim for the center of the fusey, right under the level of the tail planes.

any other shot i almost always aim for the fuselage also, canopy, engine and fuel is all located in such a small box its hard not to do lots of damage.

only time i'll go for a wing is snapshots and high speed deflections. Or if im saddled up at D200 or less.

the only plane i'll always shoot the wing of is a spitfire, as the wing roots seem to be made of paper mache

what do you guys aim for from dead 6?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2005, 04:16:55 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic
All you finding dead 6 shots difficult even under D400, im curious, what do you aim for??

dead6 i always aim for the center of the fusey, right under the level of the tail planes.

any other shot i almost always aim for the fuselage also, canopy, engine and fuel is all located in such a small box its hard not to do lots of damage.

only time i'll go for a wing is snapshots and high speed deflections. Or if im saddled up at D200 or less.

the only plane i'll always shoot the wing of is a spitfire, as the wing roots seem to be made of paper mache

Always the center of the fus.  I can't hit that so why even try for the wing? lol.  Convergence set at 400 and I do get some hits at d400.  d200 forget about it.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2005, 04:17:41 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic

you aim below? what is your convergence set to?

i aim right into the fuselage, or at least try for that, when inside D200. at D400 or higher the plane is still to illegible undefiable to aim for anything other than the "black mass" in front of me

Ps. my conv is set to 350 all planes all guns
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2005, 04:22:28 PM »
Glad you posted Tilt.
Same here.

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2005, 04:33:53 PM »
Flying the C-Hog for awhile fixes gunnery probs.

c yas up.... Dave

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2005, 04:35:05 PM »
To get the LCG you not only need to engage the friendly lock, but you have to enable it first.

Got to SETUP, ARENA SETTINGS, ENVIROMENT and select 'FlightModeFlags'. If you click on 'change' it opens a new window with checkboxes.

As for canon and MG's: I never shoot them together, because of their different ballistics. Ie in SpitV, if i shoot both, i get the sprites, but its mainly the 303s that do no damage and the hispanos miss. Shooting them seperatly did the trick for me.

And i have to agree on hardware influence. Getting a new PC almost doubled my hitpercentage last tour.

Another thing that might help is fooling around with convergence.

The different guns need getting used to. I can hit fairly well with hispanos, but the Luftwaffe planes or a6m canon are horrible. Cant hit s*** with those. Its the ballistics... (i hope).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2005, 04:51:40 PM »
Jumping around between planes doesn't help gunnery much either. eg  - going from 50 cal to cannons , or even just from one plane to another with the same guns - the timing is different

Fly the one plane all the time and your gunnery gets an instinctive feel that you lose if moving between armament types and planes.
I come from a land downunder

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2005, 06:03:28 PM »
Practice can improve ones gunnery to a degree but IMHO most people can either shoot or they cant.  

Hit % is NOT a real indicator of how well someone shoots.  Its just an indicator of how long they wait until they shoot.  Take low % shots and it will drop.  That doesnt mean that you have poor gunnery.

c yas up.... Dave

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2005, 06:13:34 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak
Practice can improve ones gunnery to a degree but IMHO most people can either shoot or they cant.  

Hit % is NOT a real indicator of how well someone shoots.  Its just an indicator of how long they wait until they shoot.  Take low % shots and it will drop.  That doesnt mean that you have poor gunnery.

c yas up.... Dave

Yup ... think it's best to ignore %'s  and just worry about killing  enemy planes - take those small % deflection shots - because hey  - every now and then you get one .

Gunnery % really doesn't mean much at the end of the day. Vulching and killing buffs will give you a great  % but does that mean you have great gunnery. ?
I come from a land downunder