Author Topic: Go ahead Russia, no one will blame you  (Read 6422 times)

Offline ATA

• Nickel Member
Go ahead Russia, no one will blame you
« Reply #375 on: February 13, 2005, 12:15:23 AM »
"Our tech is reliable."
Yes it is,m16 is the prove of it.
5 minutes of shooting,2 hours of cleaning.
Will you ever stop separating people?Nobodys perfect.
We are all bleed red.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #376 on: February 13, 2005, 03:58:15 AM »
Before anyone gets upset this is just a funny anecdote: When Nasa developed it's space program, one of the biggest problems was how to make a ball-point pen that would work in microgravity. After months and months of research and millions of dollars spent the team came out with the super pen. You could shake it twisti it, hold it upside down or sink it to water and it still worked. Awesome. When Nasa proudly presented thier invention to the russians, they asked what do YOU use? The russians chuckled.. We dear comerade, use the pencil.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #377 on: February 13, 2005, 08:01:23 AM »
Originally posted by genozaur
The word is 'cosmonaut' in Russian.
The word "ass-tronaut" was originally reserved for the Americans. :D

Oh, how could I miss this gem of wisdom that you answer to? ;)

An American saying "Does Russia still have many "Ass-tronauts" i mean Astronauts floating around in Space?" is pathetic.

It seems to me that Ametricans don't have manned space flight now. They only have one guy in orbit with a Russian cosmonaut and in Russian space station, who got there on a Russian spaceship.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #378 on: February 13, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »
Sorry for having another advantage over you, Grun.

ah jo he
denk je nu echt dat dat zo speciaal is he

mooie communist

liever dood als rood

:)

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #379 on: February 13, 2005, 11:50:53 AM »
<---- painting face.

<----- slipping into the water.

soon i will assasinate this thread.

THE HORROR!

(cue jungle drums)
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #380 on: February 13, 2005, 04:56:51 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
Oh, how could I miss this gem of wisdom that you answer to? ;)

An American saying "Does Russia still have many "Ass-tronauts" i mean Astronauts floating around in Space?" is pathetic.

It seems to me that Ametricans don't have manned space flight now. They only have one guy in orbit with a Russian cosmonaut and in Russian space station, who got there on a Russian spaceship.

1) shuttle program begins reflights in may

2)Better check on where the cash came from to pay for the ISS before you start calling it Russian.Those are our dollars, we "loaned" you to finish building your sections.

3)It's the American's (Chiao) 2nd time on the station. The russian (Sharipov) its his 2nd time out of the atmoshpere.His only space mission was aboard Endeavor.(one of our shuttles)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #381 on: February 14, 2005, 11:16:49 AM »
First of all I want to say that when Columbia crashed - I was one of the first to bring flowers to American embassy in Msk.

Originally posted by Raider179
1) shuttle program begins reflights in may

I am glad to hear it again. I hope you'll develop a reasonable manned space programm after this rusty remnants of cold-war arms race will finally rest in museums.

2)Better check on where the cash came from to pay for the ISS before you start calling it Russian.Those are our dollars, we "loaned" you to finish building your sections.

So far it's a Russian station, we made the key structures, and only Russia has access for ISS for over then 2 years now.

Americans still don't have technology we have. Long-time life-support systems are made only by Russia now, and Americans are quite far from catching with what USSR had in late-70s.

Russian space programm now is a result of natural selection. We have cheapest and most reliable launch vehicles and spaceships, all built on conveyor. R-7 (Soyuz) launch vehicle is perfected ny 50 years of production, other designs are as cheap and reliable. We have all kinds of solution for industrial space exploration.

3)It's the American's (Chiao) 2nd time on the station. The russian (Sharipov) its his 2nd time out of the atmoshpere.His only space mission was aboard Endeavor.(one of our shuttles)

I find it ironic that both cosmonauts aboard ISS now are from national minorities. Was it arranged? In USSR having racial or national minorities in "squad of cosmonauts" was never a political problem. Most experieced cosmonaut, Vladimir Dzhanibekov, who docked an uncontrolled Salyut-7 and made an only flight between two space stations is an Uzdek.

Edit: sorry, was mistaken about flight between the flight two space stations. The pilot that made it was Leonid Kizim.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 11:27:42 AM by Boroda »

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #382 on: February 14, 2005, 02:00:44 PM »

So far it's a Russian station, we made the key structures, and only Russia has access for ISS for over then 2 years now.

Americans still don't have technology we have. Long-time life-support systems are made only by Russia now, and Americans are quite far from catching with what USSR had in late-70s.

MOSCOW (AFP) -- The International Space Station (ISS) will have to be left unmanned unless the United States provides Russia with the money to make extra flights, a Russian space official said Wednesday.

The ISS crew "will probably have to be evacuated to Earth in the second part of the year if our foreign partners do not resolve the issue of financing additional flights to the station," the Russian space agency Rosaviakosmos's spokesman Sergei Gorbunov told ITAR-TASS.

Russian and United States space experts are due to discuss financing further development of the ISS at a meeting on Sunday in The Netherlands.

Gorbunov said the Russian government had "agreed to redistribute allocated budget funds from the second half of the year to the first."

However, this money is insufficient, and the United States "so far are not going to pay for additional launches," he added.

Leaving the station in an unmanned flight would be "dangerous, as the ISS can become uncontrollable," Gorbunov said.

He cited as example a recent malfunction in the heat regulation system of the ISS's US-manufactured portion that could not have been fixed in the absence of the crew.

The United States is relying on Russia to transport crew to and from the ISS orbiting space station because the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has suspended flights by its space shuttles following the explosion of the Columbia on February 1.

But Russia has said it cannot raise the money to construct the necessary additional Progress cargo ships and manned Soyuz craft.

Moscow has indicated it will need financial aid of at least 47 million dollars (44 million euros) to be able to use the ISS this year.

But NASA is refusing to finance construction of Russian spaceships to offset the freeze on US space shuttles.

Its decision is based on a 2000 US law aimed at retaliating against Russia for allegedly transferring nuclear technology to Iran.

The United States and Russia are the biggest partners in the 16-nation ISS venture.

2003 article...We paid you plenty dont see how you are laying claim to The ISS. Neither you or your components would have gotten to this point if not for US dollars. And lets not each talk about you russians sending up space tourists to the ISS and making a buck off it. I lay no claim to it as a US station. We needed your help and you needed ours.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #383 on: February 14, 2005, 02:20:40 PM »
IIRC - the last option was that US will stop funding Russian work, and then we'll have to somehow find money to keep it going. Looked like a blackmail from US side, pay for our passengers or we'll abandon the station. So US wanted Russia not only to develop everything, but also to pay for the fun so Americans could enjoy manned space flight for free. I find this approach very practical and rational.

The main problem was that Russia didn't have enough Soyuz and Progress spaceships in production to supply ISS after Shuttle missions stopped.

Anyway - if you'll abandon what you think is a silly toy - we'll take it over. Americans don't have technology to make another space station, and it's a fact.

Isn't it a real capitalism - you give the dough and we do the job? :D Anyway it's better then just working separately. We are good at manned space flight, you are good at making money, so why not get together? ;) You pay for Russian engineering and craftsmanship much less then for same stuff "made in US" (tm) ;), and much more then our space industry gets for same things from our Space Force and civilian research programms. So it goes.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #384 on: February 14, 2005, 02:28:49 PM »
...So US wanted Russia not only to develop everything, but also to pay for the fun so Americans could enjoy manned space flight for free...

For free?

From CNN-
The proposed budget for NASA -- 2.4 percent higher than last year's -- sets aside $9.6 billion for science, aeronautics and exploration, and $6.7 billion for exploration capabilities.

That includes $4.5 billion for the space shuttle program, on track for resuming flights this year for the first time since the 2003 Columbia disaster, and $1.85 billion for the international space station.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #385 on: February 14, 2005, 03:09:28 PM »
IIRC - the last option was that US will stop funding Russian work, and then we'll have to somehow find money to keep it going. Looked like a blackmail from US side, pay for our passengers or we'll abandon the station. So US wanted Russia not only to develop everything, but also to pay for the fun so Americans could enjoy manned space flight for free. I find this approach very practical and rational.

The main problem was that Russia didn't have enough Soyuz and Progress spaceships in production to supply ISS after Shuttle missions stopped.

Anyway - if you'll abandon what you think is a silly toy - we'll take it over. Americans don't have technology to make another space station, and it's a fact.

1) that article says russia will leave it unmanned because they cant afford it not that they will "find the money"

2)blackmail? We funded your space station program.  

http://www.house.gov/science/smith_022599.htm

Funding for additional cash payments to Russia. At the end of 1998, NASA transferred an additional $60 million to Russia to help pay for the Service Module and long-lead items for Soyuz and Progress spacecraft

3)That last statement about we dont have the technology...is laughable but when I saw you put it down there as a fact I pissed myself laughing so hard.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #386 on: February 14, 2005, 03:25:16 PM »
Well actually the russians do hold an advantage in certain long term life support technologies. One example is the water purification system. At least according to a document I saw a couple years back. The Nasa was complaining they couldn't develop a reliable purification machine even though it was super high-tech. Just not reliable. The russians had a really robust system that would filter drinkable water from pure urine. It cost a few thousand bucks to manufacture. And no, I don't just bash Russia when it has credit coming to it - IMO it's just not that often.

Offline ATA

• Nickel Member
« Reply #387 on: February 14, 2005, 04:20:01 PM »
Imagine what USA-RUSSIA could  bilt on money lost in IRAQ(8.5 billion in cash i believe).

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #388 on: February 14, 2005, 05:04:56 PM »
Originally posted by ATA
Imagine what USA-RUSSIA could  bilt on money lost in IRAQ(8.5 billion in cash i believe).

8.5 billion? It's nothing. This is what the US government is spending each day.