Author Topic: Need help with motherboard tray question  (Read 209 times)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
Need help with motherboard tray question
« on: February 13, 2005, 11:32:24 AM »
I'm preparing to install my MSI Neo4 SLI MB into a Thermaltake Sunami Dream case.The MB tray is nicely laid out,but not removable.The question I have is this.There is one standoff in the middle right part of MB.It is designed like a pin,no threads,and it came installed to MB tray.What is it?Do I need to remove it before installing the other 9 brass standoffs,or leave it alone?Thanks for any help in advance.This is my first build,and a little nervous.Don't want any major malfunctions,because of my lack of experience.

IronDog 475th FG Satans Angels

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 12:50:32 PM »
If it's plastic or some other non-conducting material, you can probably just leave it.  Does it line up with any of the motherboard mounting holes?

You could cap it with some foam or other insulating material and ignore it as long as it doesn't push up on the motherboard when you tighten the screws into the regular standoffs.

If it's removable and doesn't line up with any holes though, you might as well just remove it.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 01:03:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply.It is brass like regular standoff,except it lacks female threads,and it appears to me to be in position to go thru the middle,inside hole of MB.However that makes little sense to me,if you can't secure nothing to it with MB sqrew.In my mind it nearly has to be an alignment pin.I plan on calling Thermaltake before making any further process,unless someone can explain to me it's function.

IronDog 475th FG Satans Angels