Author Topic: "normal" temp for a AMD 64?  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
"normal" temp for a AMD 64?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 09:32:46 AM »
I know many use pastes etc. when seating Heatsync to CPU.

I do not.  I clean very thoroughly the bottom of heatsync with alcohol.  And dampen a Q-Tip with alcohol and clean point or points where heatsync will seat with CPU.

Never had a heat related issue with any machines I have built.

I know of instances where to much paste has been applied, and appled unevenly causing a lousy heat transfer to the heatsync.

In my case a good cleaning before installing Heatsync has been my choice.

Also....even if heatsync and fan are doing their job........airflow must be good in the box.  My mini server tower has a fan on top blowing air out of case.  Two 80mm fans bringing air in, and a Bay Freezer which is a device that installs in a drive bay that has twin 60 or 80mm fans one takes air in.....one exhausts it.  Newer Vid cards have fans on them also...so moving the air in the case in past couple of years has become more important. Everything running at higher speeds....including video cards, using more power and generally spreading heat throughout the case.

By the way....playing AH with Athlon64 3400 temp solid 50.

Other applications 42.  Mobo stays at 35.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 09:48:06 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 10:33:46 AM »
Originally posted by Hajo
I know many use pastes etc. when seating Heatsync to CPU.

I do not.  I clean very thoroughly the bottom of heatsync with alcohol.  And dampen a Q-Tip with alcohol and clean point or points where heatsync will seat with CPU.

Never had a heat related issue with any machines I have built.

I know of instances where to much paste has been applied, and appled unevenly causing a lousy heat transfer to the heatsync.

In my case a good cleaning before installing Heatsync has been my choice.

Also....even if heatsync and fan are doing their job........airflow must be good in the box.  My mini server tower has a fan on top blowing air out of case.  Two 80mm fans bringing air in, and a Bay Freezer which is a device that installs in a drive bay that has twin 60 or 80mm fans one takes air in.....one exhausts it.  Newer Vid cards have fans on them also...so moving the air in the case in past couple of years has become more important. Everything running at higher speeds....including video cards, using more power and generally spreading heat throughout the case.

By the way....playing AH with Athlon64 3400 temp solid 50.

Other applications 42.  Mobo stays at 35.

WHAT? you dont use paste or ANYTHING? jesus how havnt you had a failure? when i did this once (as a test ages ago) the pc would reboot within 5 minutes due to a temp over 70c.

I suppose what you do will work with the CPU die exposed, and a heatsink lapped with 2000 grit paper, but not with a CPU die under a cap, and a default boxed cooler.

try doing what you do on a prescott CPU and it will never even make windows let allone work
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 12:11:15 PM »
Overlag....done it with all AMD CPUs'.....and as you know they run hotter then Intel generally.

Arctic Silver etc. is not needed if you have a tight fit.  Remember no matter how well the fit...using paste or not heat syncs and fans are effected also by ambient temps within the case.  If the air is cooler, heat will be absorbed and disappated at a faster rate allowing lower cpu temps.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005, 12:34:38 PM »
The heatsink paste I'm using is sorta old so maybe I'll buy a new tube of AS5 and give it a shot.  The problem is that shipping just KILLS me.  I'll end up paying $20 shipping on a $5 tube of paste.  The only other things I'd like right now are a couple of thermally controlled 80mm case fans, but that would still be $20+ shipping on about $20 worth of stuff.

I'll probably just wait a bit longer until I have something else to buy, and tack it onto the order.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005, 01:12:52 PM »
Overlag....done it with all AMD CPUs'.....and as you know they run hotter then Intel generally.

Arctic Silver etc. is not needed if you have a tight fit.  Remember no matter how well the fit...using paste or not heat syncs and fans are effected also by ambient temps within the case.  If the air is cooler, heat will be absorbed and disappated at a faster rate allowing lower cpu temps.

cant belive you never had a failure of some sort. i guess your using well made coolers with very very good base finish on them? the likes of swifttech bases are like what i mean.

when i hand lapped a heatsink to 1200 grit, and used it on a P3 copper mine core 99% of the thermal paste ended up around the edges of the core because the contact was so good. But on the new A64s/P4s that cap on top of them is alittle rough, as is most standard heatsink bases.

smoother the contact patches the better but you still need paste of somesort even if it is a very very small ammount

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 01:27:42 PM »
Overlag....tend to agree.  If using paste only a tiny dab spread with a razor blade EVENLY will do the trick.

Had a friend of mine assemble his first Computer.  I hoped to call him before installing his cpu and heatsync.  He told me he was done and installing his pci cards.  Asked him if he used Arctic silver.....he said yes.....I asked 'How much?"  He said the whole tube.  LOLOLOL   I told him to get the heatsync off before he burns everything up  LOL

True story!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 01:41:50 PM »
Overlag....tend to agree.  If using paste only a tiny dab spread with a razor blade EVENLY will do the trick.

Had a friend of mine assemble his first Computer.  I hoped to call him before installing his cpu and heatsync.  He told me he was done and installing his pci cards.  Asked him if he used Arctic silver.....he said yes.....I asked 'How much?"  He said the whole tube.  LOLOLOL   I told him to get the heatsync off before he burns everything up  LOL

True story!

yup seen that before :eek: fools, cant they read instructions/?! lol

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2005, 03:31:06 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
The heatsink paste I'm using is sorta old so maybe I'll buy a new tube of AS5 and give it a shot.  The problem is that shipping just KILLS me.  I'll end up paying $20 shipping on a $5 tube of paste.  The only other things I'd like right now are a couple of thermally controlled 80mm case fans, but that would still be $20+ shipping on about $20 worth of stuff.

I'll probably just wait a bit longer until I have something else to buy, and tack it onto the order.

Where you at....awful high shipping cost?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2005, 05:26:07 PM »
I'm in merry olde England.  Shipping to my house via fedex draws an 18% import tariff.  My P.O. box on base doesn't accept anything but US Postal Service, but since that's unusual for most online retailers, the USPS shipping fees tend to start high.  Newegg charges about $18 for the first item and then about $2 for each item after that.  It's not too bad when you're ordering a few hundred bucks worth of stuff, but it makes it a losing proposition when ordering just a few inexpensive parts.

Buying them locally isn't great either due to the exchange rate.  Do I pay newegg to ship parts and pay in dollars, or pay literally twice the amount at a local shop due to the exchange rate?  The tradeoff occurs at, ironically, about $20 in merchandise.  More than that and it's cheaper to have it shipped.  Less than that, and it's cheaper to pay the high exchange rate.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2005, 07:51:26 PM »
I've got a small tube or two of paste, not sure what brand. They came came with one of my higher end cooling fans. Happy to dump one in the mail for you....post or email me PO box....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2005, 11:35:48 AM »
I have a tube of generic paste that came with my HSF, but from past experience that stuff tends to dry out after a while so bumping the case may cause a heavy heatsink to shift enough to ruin the thermal interface.  That's why I've been using the artic silver stuff, because it works really well and never dries out.

I suppose I'm probably too picky, but thanks for the offer though :)

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2005, 12:18:06 PM »

True story!

Hey Hajo, I'm glad you didnt Doc-ument who that was :)

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2005, 12:27:17 PM »
Originally posted by eagl
I have a tube of generic paste that came with my HSF, but from past experience that stuff tends to dry out after a while so bumping the case may cause a heavy heatsink to shift enough to ruin the thermal interface.  That's why I've been using the artic silver stuff, because it works really well and never dries out.

I suppose I'm probably too picky, but thanks for the offer though :)

Hehe....

Exactly why mine is lying around...ignored the stuff they gave me and bought a tube of artic silver. I've still got bout 1/2 the tube but its probably as old as yours (15 months or so). Still debating if I'm gonna upgrade the cooler on my 3200+...dialed it back to stock since I dont need the horsepower...its running at 41C again at idle so I dont think I'm gonna mess with anything for now...no clue how long the stuff lasts once you crack the tube open....happy to send it your way if you think itds better than what you've got...

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2005, 03:09:48 AM »
The problem is that AH2 stresses the CPU and the Graphic board, so the temp in the case will rise above what you experience with Prime95.

Prime tests CPU but no graphics.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2005, 06:40:39 AM »
Quite right.  A high end video card will probably heat up about 20-30F while running AH, depending on the HSF on the video card.

I know my X800XT gained about 28F when running AH and is much happier since I switched out the default HSF for an Artic Cooler 4.  
Plus exhausting the heat out of the case has had other side benefits.  The CPU and Northbridge areas are much cooler.  Northbridge is running 40F cooler now, when under load.
Also added a low speed 92mm fan above the NB/RAM, which is just a 'dead air' fan.  It just moves a low volume amount of air to make sure there are no deadspots.

I'll have to post a pic one day, when I get rich and famous and can afford a digital camera.  :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com