Author Topic: Skuzzy, did we ever get an official ruling on G skins?  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Skuzzy, did we ever get an official ruling on G skins?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 12:32:26 PM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
Have you've seen Skuzzy in action? - trust me - it would be an issue trying to sort skins 16 months down the road.... :)

(gets out little red book....puts a mark next to Waffle...skins eh?  we'll see about that).  :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 12:36:09 PM »
Maybe a simple way around that problem would be to include the subtype in the p38.txt file, e.g. "343FG/54FS (H) by Oboe"

Then when the P-38H makes it into the game, you just need to go through at most 16 P38.txt files, or look in the drop list to see which ones need to be moved.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2005, 01:51:33 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
(gets out little red book....puts a mark next to Waffle...skins eh?  we'll see about that).  :)

Bah  - I got hitech tied up in the Terrain editor Forum too....I'm sure i'm getting some more marks there.....what's another one gonna do? :)

You guys want to buy some 3d models? lmao - Ac3d and I are getting together like Oil and Water. Grouping as well as trying to figure out the naming conventions for object / lods, anything to outside of creating/texturing is kicking my arse...lol

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2005, 08:37:23 PM »
any word on this yet?:confused:
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2005, 04:11:55 PM »
Ok, here is the deal.

It is a compromise, as such, it is going to be a bit difficult to nail down in words.

If a skin was available during the service life of the G, J, and L, but was not available on those planes, we will consider it.
There is more.
If it is clear, the skin does not belong on the plane due to the original model being so different, then we will reject it.

Does that nail it down for you?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2005, 04:21:20 PM »
Time for Dan to put his extensive,check, recheck, double check, fingers crossed, research hat on!
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2005, 05:26:29 PM »
yea it does, basically, if there is a question about a skin, due to different sources having conflicting models, then...if it was available during one of the G,J or L models lifetime, then it will be accepted.  think i got it.  thank you skuzzy  :aok
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 07:40:11 AM »
Actually I'm a little fuzzy on this, and maybe an example would help.

Take "23 Ski Doo", a P-38H.    I don't know if this skin was available on a G, J or L.    I only have a profile of it on an H.

Certainly though, this H model was being flown alongside Gs.

Does it qualify?

Also, does this compromise extend to other aircraft, or is it only the P-38 series?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2005, 09:32:58 AM »
If it was flying alongside G's, then it falls into the 'service life' category.  So yes, it probably would pass.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2005, 11:18:25 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Ok, here is the deal.

It is a compromise, as such, it is going to be a bit difficult to nail down in words.

If a skin was available during the service life of the G, J, and L, but was not available on those planes, we will consider it.
There is more.
If it is clear, the skin does not belong on the plane due to the original model being so different, then we will reject it.

Does that nail it down for you?

Thanks Skuzzy.  What it means as I understand it, is that in Groups that were flying the F,G, H together, the skins would be OK correct?

AKA McGuire's first Pudgy, or Danny Roberts "197" from the 475th would work.  Porky II from the 80th,  etc.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2005, 12:05:35 PM »
Guppy, can you give us an estimate in date ranges for the service life of the 38F, G, H, J, and L?

Many profiles are listed with a month/year, and that info may help skinners decide if their skin qualifies...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2005, 12:07:46 PM »
Correct Dan, although watch the early F's.  I think those would fall out of the box.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2005, 12:37:52 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Guppy, can you give us an estimate in date ranges for the service life of the 38F, G, H, J, and L?

Many profiles are listed with a month/year, and that info may help skinners decide if their skin qualifies...

It depends on where they were flying.

The MTO P38 groups are a great example of this.  They were flying F models like "Sad Sack" that I posted today into May of 44 and G's into June alongside the J models.  New pilots who had trained on newer model 38s were surprised to see G's still being flown in combat when they arrived in the MTO.

Sad Sack was an F-15 and flew combat from December 42-April 44 amassing 183 combat missions and 16 kills with numerous pilots and only came out of combat after an accident.

Personally I don't think there is an issue with the Js and Ls.  If it has a landing light on the leading edge consider it the L time frame from roughly September 44 til the end.  

If it has large intakes but no wing leading edge landing light, it's an early J from Early 1944 until the end of the war in Europe, May 45.  

In the Pacific  They were getting the Js in February 44.  They didn't get Ls until September 44.  

The 475th for example got their first L-1s in when the 431st Squadron got theirs on September 29th.  The 433rd from the same group didn't get their Ls until November and kept flying the J-20s until then.

As mentioned before the 80th FS in the Pacific was operating Fs Gs and Hs together.  On "Bloody Tuesday" in November of 43 over Rabaul you can find specific F, G and H being flown by the 80th in that fight, so you are basically taking the F,G, H models right up until the Js.

Hows that for long winded :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters