Author Topic: Top View  (Read 468 times)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Top View
« on: February 19, 2001, 07:52:00 AM »
heh, I remember reading on this board a while ago "I spend 75% of my time looking at my Tgt in the Top & Forward Top Views..."

It hit the nail on my head when I realised I am doing the same (with more experience, that is... I didn't understand why at that time, now, I do...).

But then again, I might be WRONG  

Looking at movies won't help, since , well, you are choosing your own views, not the pilot's view at the moment of the action. (same goes for joining someone in a fighter, you won't see tracers or hits and the rollrate is...weird).

I tend to keep my eyes Glued to the tgt most of the time (quick glances around every now & then...). I end up not looking at my Dials a lot and, well, relying on Wind sounds is a little messed up, if , like me you fly a lot of different planes (engine sounds vary, and thus have an impact on other sounds...). Do you spend more times with eyes on the Dials or not ?

------------------
MASS/SAW

click  HERE for info on III./JG 5 Eismeer
"kindergarden must be closed... all those little girls running around screaming..."
 -Fd ski

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 02-19-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Top View
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
There are dials in the planes? where? ;p

About the only time I check gauges are just before a bounce to make sure I don't overspeed in the process and landing and take-offs.

I turn the wind sound up and the engine sound down abit so I can use the wind as a speed indicator. I use the stall horn for my low speed warning and the ground as my altimeter.   Otherwise the con and the surrounding area get my full attention!

S!
Rocket

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Top View
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
The only gauges I watch are airspeed and altitude.  I don't watch them all the time, but I don't stay glued to my enemy either.  I also turn up the sound volume for both wind noise and flaps so I have more audio feedback that I find important.

This has a lot to do with fighting style.  Because I do a lot of BnZ and energy fighting, I am using other views much of the time.  The up/front combo view is very important though, that's the one I use a LOT when closing for the shot.  The up/front view is the one that I get when I am in lag pursuit, something I do almost all the time in the P-47 versus better turning aircraft.  I also have to force myself to look away from the bogey to do SA scans, and to set up some more complex attacks.  I started learning how to do that by trying to execute a proper barrel roll attack as diagrammed by Shaw in Fighter Combat.  If you do more TnB type fighting, you will use the straight up and up/front views much more, since you will be turning with your opponent in a one circle fight more of the time.

My only comment would be try to predict where the enemy will be, not just follow him with your eyes.  You should be thinking three moves ahead, looking at where he is going to be after this maneuver, and the ones following.  If you do that, you will find you do not have to watch the bogey quite as much, because you will be ready for him.  Watch the bogey, but keep scanning every few seconds for incoming contacts.  Predict where the bogey will be after the next move or two, and set yourself up to be in a firing position when he is most vulnerable.

Easy to say, but tough to do.    These challenges are what keep me interested in playing online air combat games for years and years!  Let me tell you, it is very rewarding the first time you pull off the barrel roll attack, or get a kill using Johnson's outside roll move versus a 109.  

------------------
Lephturn - Aces High Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome!

"Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know." - Michel Eyquem, seigneur de Montaigne. (1533–1592)

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Top View
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2001, 02:34:00 PM »
OK Lepht, you got me drooling, I'm gonna dust off that Book  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Top View
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2001, 07:19:00 PM »
Follow up to my post  
I mapped the Forward/up view to my the forward press of my hat and remapped the straight up view to my R key on my keyboard(it was unused and easy to get to with my left hand) It makes it easier to scan for other cons while in an engagement for me and with the 1 keypress for up/forward it makes it much easier for me to track the con  

S!
Rocket

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
Top View
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2001, 07:59:00 AM »
I have my stick setup so that the forward press of the Hat will look 45° up while all other views are horizontal, when i press one of the upper buttons on my stick (right behind the hat.. i do that wit the base of my thumb) i swapp the views from:

Forward hat = 45°up switches to straight up
all other views are 45° up views e.g. iso left view it's left view 45° up

I cover the whole upper hemisphere with the 8 way hat like that and tracking a con ís seamless. I never encountered a situation where i actually had to look down ...

DW6