Author Topic: P47 / F4 Training  (Read 659 times)

Titus

P47 / F4 Training
« on: May 11, 2001, 11:22:00 AM »
Okay, I admit it, my fighter capability plain sucks.  I haven't found the fighter or fighters I want to fly with.  Figured this was part of my problem (seat jumping and not learning a plane).  So I have decided on the P47 and the F4.  I download the mino's sight for the P47. But have no clue as to how to use it or any other sights for that matter. Also read a phrase about the G meter in the P47 -- What the heck and where is that ?

As you can tell I'm NOT a pilot, but do enjoy the fellowship in Aces High (Even the pilots who kill you generally say high as you float to the ground).

Anyway bottom line, I would like to get some training. I have downloaded ripsnorts films for a starter.

Thanks in advance.

Titus
Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2001, 12:43:00 PM »
For some info on the view sytem, and the sight I use in the P-47, check http://lephturn.webhop.net/views.htm

Are you looking to use the 47 more for air superiority, or for air to ground attack?  There are several of us trainers that specialize in the P-47, so you'll have lots of experience to choose from.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline rob53

• Nickel Member
P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To use the "Mino's Jabo Gunsight"........
OK, center dot = self explanatory.

You will notice 2 notches along the vertical line below the center dot.
The first notch is the "rocket notch" as I like to call it. Make your attack at about a 45 degree AOA or better, place that notch on your target, get fairly close and personal and launch away.

The second notch, nearer the bottom of the sight itself is the "bomb notch". Same routine, although greater than 45 degree AOA is preferable for better accuracy.

Practice with it some, get used to it and it will provide you with a pleasurable JABO experience. So, in a nutshell, thats pretty much it  

Happy Jabo'ng

[This message has been edited by rob53 (edited 05-12-2001).]
rob53
The Flying Circus

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2001, 03:57:00 PM »
Leph, Ammo, MarkAT, are good P-47 drivers and I klnow that I can help ya. I am sure the other 2 guys can help more
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Titus

P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2001, 07:42:00 PM »
I don't really know if I want to use it more for Jabo or Air Superiority. Don't know the plane well enough yet.  

I was thinking Jabo, based on all that I have read so far, although I know people like ammo and MarkAT are good at Air Superiority with the P47.  

I was thinking the F4 for Air Superiority at this point and time, but I'm always open to opinions of the experienced trainer/flyer.

Luckily I fly on the same team as the aforementioned flyers and often get to see them in action.

Thanks,

------------------
Titus
Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2001, 01:19:00 AM »
Titus give me a shout for some F4 workouts.  I am no means the best out here in the hog but it has been my main ride since it was introduced and I can show ya what not to do in her   For ground attack she can be pretty devastating in her own rights just doesn't carry the large loadout you can get with the P47.
I am available Monday until about 5pm CDT.  Fire me an email and we can set something up   rocket@wardogs.org or rocket@reddragons.de

S!
Rocket
Aces High Training Corp
Aces High Scenerio Corp
VMF-115 Joe's Jokers

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
Leph, is there any P-47 tricks to use or is P-47 purely BnZ plane?
Would love to learn some "special" maneuvers.

wobbel

P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2001, 09:08:00 AM »
Test.........

------------------
 [URL=http://www.ropescourse.org/gacard.jpg

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »
Titus, in the Aces High sim we have today, with the LA-7, FW190-Dora, Yak's and P51D, F4U as an air superiority weapon is but a dream except in the very qualified hands of the likes of Duckwing and a few others.  The F4U has died a death of new aircraft introduced into the arena which can easily dominate Big Blue.  Only in massive numbers can one dictate air supiority in Big Blue nowadays.

Regards,

------------------

~Death Rattlers~
Member of 'MAG-33' (Click here)
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Aces High Squadron Information Link
"Chaos, panic, & disorder -- my work here is never finished."

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-14-2001).]

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2001, 07:05:00 PM »
Ripsnort is right on.

There are exceptions, but in general Aces High is a late war sim now. I would expect it to become even more of a late war sim when the next version releases even more late war planes, even if those planes are just perk planes.

This is a part of the ongoing struggle between the rolling plane set types and those wanting to always fly their ride. Without a rolling plane set many of the earlier war planes have been pushed to the sidelines with the exception of a handful of pilots. This is quite obvious by simply counting the number of P38's you see flying at any one time.

In short don't expect to achieve air superiority in the F4. If you want air superiority choose another late war plane. If you want to become an expert in the F4u then by all means study that plane and enjoy killing pilots in those late war models. Don't plan on killing experts flying late war models very often.

Ranger Bob

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2001, 06:37:00 AM »
Janneh,

There are no secret moves really, just solid ACM.

The Jug doesn't compete in turn, accelleration, or even speed with many of the late war birds in AH.  That doesn't mean you can't do well in it, it just means it's challenging and you MUST start with an advantage if you expect to win.

Although the Jug does BnZ well, it can close quarters E fight given just the right ammount of energy advantage.  It's tricky, but use of the vertical, lag pursuit, and energy conservation will get you kills.  With an energy advantage, I fear no plane in AH.  The problem is that you can't maintain that advantage for long versus some of the fast accelerators and good climbers like the G-10, La7, and N1k2.  You have to work them, but know when to bug out.

Versus some planes like the La7 that can pretty much out perform you in every way, you must be VERY careful.  I don't fear N1k2s in the Jug, I can out run them.  I don't fear G-10's too much, I can out-dive them at high speed, and I'll even have a go at turning with them.  Hogs are a nightmare for a Jug driver, they can do everything you can do, and most of it better.  You can't escape them.  La7's and Temptests are nightmares, because they are SO much faster, but still perform well enough in a knife fight to kill a Jug.  They both have guns that you can't take a hit from.

Basically, the really nasty adversaries I BnZ.  If the area is clear I'll dive in and take a crack at them in a knife fight too, but only if I can do so without getting jumped by a higher bogey.  Versus planes I can outrun, I'll start with BnZ, then work down into a close energy knife fight.  If I blow my E advantage without getting a kill, I'll bug out and extend.  The trick is knowing when to get out.

The last thing you need to do well in the jug is some good overshoot maneuvers.  The Jug slows down well, so if you have a bogey on your six, you can often force an overshoot.  With 8 .50 cal MG's, you can usually damage an enemy as he overshoots if you do it right, so that's a critical skill to master.  Even if you don't take him out, making him overshoot will often allow you to either extend towards friendlies for help or at least re-engage on slightly better terms.

------------------

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
Thx Leph!
I really have to make an appointment to your P-47 clinic.Some weekend perhaps,if it's ok to you, I'll mail you.
Btw it's great to see so dedicated trainer as you are, always answering ppl's questions and offering training session, now that's worth of biiiiigggg <S!>

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
P47 / F4 Training
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
Email away Janneh.  That's what I'm here for.

My schedule is pretty busy, but if I can't make it I have a staff of trainers and one of them will be able to oblige for sure.  I'll be glad to work with you if I can.  We have a whole load of good P47 sticks in the training staff, so you are all set.  

------------------