Author Topic: P-47  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
P-47
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2001, 07:05:00 AM »
The only difference in performance between the -25 and -30 that I can quantify is that the -25 will only run a maximum of 49" mp versus the -30's 52" max mp at full throttle without wep. The -30 also carrys a different rocket load without tubes while the -25 carrys the tube type rocket load and after having fired your rockets still has the tubes attached and the resultant drag they induce.

The -25 "feels" a bit more maneuverable to me. Frenchy (P-47 pilot extraordinair) noted the other day that he could "feel" a difference in the way the two planes handled. He prefered the -30, I personaly prefer the -25. Frenchy is also a much better pilot than I  .

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
P-47
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2001, 07:17:00 AM »
Seeker,
Manifold pressure is an indicator of how much power the engine is producing. It is directly related to the throttle setting here in AH. The rpm is how fast the prop is turning. When you use the +/- keys on the numberpad it is supposed to control the pitch of the prop, or how big a bite of air the prop gets. A higher rpm setting is a lower bite of air but allows the engine to develope more power.

In AH these can be used to extend your range. In the P-47 if I am looking for maximum range I will reduce throttle to a setting anywhere from 35 to 40" of manifold pressure (mp) and set my prop to 2000 to 2200 rpm. In combat I use max rpm and max mp.

In real life the mp pressure also indicates the load on the engine. If you were to use a static throttle setting and you increased the pitch on the prop (lower rpm, bigger bite of air) it would have the effect of also increasing mp, or load on the engine. It's not modeled that way in AH.

I'm not Lephturn, but I hope this answered your question  .

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
P-47
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2001, 08:45:00 AM »
Thanks very much Mark; these are new concepts for me....

However, if I'm begining to understand, shouldn't we change the prop pitch to fine for take off and landing? I've tried it and it makes things worse??

Offline Pollock

• Nickel Member
P-47
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2001, 09:06:00 AM »
Dedicated Jug pilots IMO are the most patient and attentive pilots out there. I love the 47D30 and fly it often.  I need to learn the patience required. Beware of them in pairs above 20K.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
P-47
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »
Whoops, missed that question Seeker.  Glad to see some of the others stepped in to answer your questions.  

As to takeoff and landing, the prop pitch is automatically adjusted with the throttle in AH.  The only reason you need to manually adjust it is to save fuel in my experience.  I don't know what you mean by "making things worse".  I simply leave it alone for takeoff, since it is adjusted for maximum power automatically.  On landing, I throttle back to slow down, and the pitch would automatically change I believe.  I find the Jug one of the easier planes to land.  Is there a specific problem you are having at takeoff or landing?

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
P-47
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2001, 12:33:00 PM »
Whoops, missed that question Seeker.  Glad to see some of the others stepped in to answer your questions.  

The best thing about comunity, no?  :-)

As to takeoff and landing, the prop pitch is automatically adjusted with the throttle in AH.  

Just to make sure I'm not confusing terminology.... You mean the prop pitch alters with inches mercuary? I thought it was with RPM (confused again)

The only reason you need to manually adjust it is to save fuel in my experience.  I don't know what you mean by "making things worse".  

My limited understanding is that prop pitch is analagous to changing gear in a car. Therefore I would have thought one would change to fine pitch for taking off, in the same way you shift down for hills or acceleration. I tried it, and ran out of runway. By the same logic, one (I think!!) would shift to fine pitch on landing for increased prop drag (akin to down shifting for a tight bend or stopping) but it didn't seem to affect E loss.

Is there a specific problem you are having at takeoff or landing?

Staying alive in general, actually!  

But really it's landing. I can't seem to loose speed. Flaps help to get the speed down, but then I bounce off the runway.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
P-47
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
Seeker,
you are correct in your assumption. You would want a finer pitch (less bite) on take off versus the time you would want to gain fuel economy.

In AH when you are taking off the pitch is on it's finest (flatest) pitch allowing the engine to rev up and make the most power similar to your analogy of a lower gear in a car. I'm not exactly sure how HT implements this but I beleive there is a certain amount of automatic pitch adjustment during the flight envelope. When you change the rpm from it's default setting using the +/- keys on the numberpad you can only change the pitch to a coarser setting, i.e. more bite. That reduces the engine rpm and therefore the amount of power it can generate and increases your fuel economy.

In real life you would not only make mp and pitch adjustments but you would also adjust the mixture of the air/fuel ratio going into the cylinders. You cannot adjust mixture in AH. I suppose that it may be tied into the rpm control some but not sure if HT even implements that aspect of adjustment.

As far as slowing down for a landing there are several ways to do this, one is the use of flaps and then of course the reduction of throttle. You also need some room for all this to happen in. I try to approach a field in such a manner as to have some time flying straight and level parralel to the runway in the direction opposite the direction I will be landing in, that is called the downwind leg. During that time I keep adding up trim and reducing throttle to put the aircraft in a nose high position and stablize the speed some. After passing the end of the runway I start a turn towards a point that would intersect with a line running through the center of the runway, this is called the crosswind leg. During this short time from downwind leg to that point of intersection I am still adjusting aircraft attitude and speed, dropping more flaps and possibly lowering the landing gear if I am below 150mph indicated.

I then turn to final, or base leg. By this time I should have stabalized my speed to the 120 to 130 mph indicated airspeed, I should have full flaps and gear lowered and I should have the right amount of up pitch induced to where I can control my decent with the throttle only. More throttle slows the rate of decent and less throttle increases the rate of decent.

Notice, I am not using the elevators to control this, I have the aircraft's attitude adjusted with the trim and I am only using throttle to control rate of decent.

At touchdown, if all went well and you did it right, you should be just above or just at stall speed. I like to touch down concurrently with a short blast of the stall horn. I also land with brakes engaged since that makes it "stick" and not bounce. You can with a lot of practice make it stick without the use of the brakes but you really need to be smooth when you do.

[This message has been edited by Mark Luper (edited 03-11-2001).]
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
P-47
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2001, 08:57:00 PM »
Good stuff MarkAT.  

I will add one note.  In AH, if you need to slow down quickly, one of the best ways is to use hard rudder.  If you blow your landing setup and you are too fast, you can try hard rudder in one direction and roll the opposite slightly to keep your flight direction close to correct and scrub off speed.  It works.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
P-47
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2001, 09:22:00 PM »
Thank you both, beautifully explained.

Do you think there'll ever be a formal training class in the TA, or a training syllabus?

I've been lucky enough to catch a couple of trainers from time to time, but of course they always ask "What do you want to know?". Well, if I knew my weaknesses (apart from acute death syndrome), I wouldn't be there!  

Anyway, that's enough thread hijacking for one day......