Author Topic: Lazs and other gearheads expertise is humbly requested  (Read 627 times)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Lazs and other gearheads expertise is humbly requested
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 07:50:16 PM »
Great informantion guys thanks.  I appreciate you spending the time to help me out.

The guy at Az speed and Marine mentioned that the crates use fastburn heads and seemed undaunted by that.  He didn't mention redrilling but did say that TPI and all it entails is their forte.   I'm hoping he is aware of what you've mentioned.  He mentioned that my intake and plenum(from my original motor '86 vette motor)  will fit on chevy crates w/ fastburn heads. What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 07:52:29 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 08:00:17 PM »
I know very little when it comes to the General's motors and parts, being a blue oval guy myself but some of this stuff goes for both and the Mopar guys too.

AFR makes the most popular heads going, their marketing is above all their competition. When I built my 351W the two main competitors were Edelbrock and Twisted Wedge and I chose the Edelbrocks based on personal recomendations from a raceing engine builder. He said the Edelbrocks have a higher quality of the factory casting than the TFS units, although the angled valves do have a higher potential after some work. You might want to look at Canfield or Brodix heads too, they offer plenty of performance for the relatively mild output you are seeking.

Frankly if you are looking for only 400 fwhp from a 383 then the AFRs (I assume you want 185s right) may be too much for your cam. Getting 1.25fwhp per cubic inch with aftermarket aluminum heads and a roller cam/rocker combo si child's play these days.

On another subject, why not drop and LS1 in there, even if you have to replace the electronics it isn't THAT big of a hurdle. And those LS1 motors are simply awesome, there's tons of potential in them, and thats coming from a fan of Henry...LOL!

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 08:05:18 PM »
Originally posted by koda76
Call Edlebrock and they will set you up with a complete package of your choosing....they have many to choose from.

I like their package approach. I have the full "RPM" package on mine but with a slightly altered roller cam profile of 224i/236e with .506 lift on both. This nets around 425fwhp from only 357 cubes.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 08:09:28 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Great informantion guys thanks.  I appreciate you spending the time to help me out.

The guy at Az speed and Marine mentioned that the crates use fastburn heads and seemed undaunted by that.  He didn't mention redrilling but did say that TPI and all it entails is their forte.   I'm hoping he is aware of what you've mentioned.  He mentioned that my intake and plenum(from my original motor '86 vette motor)  will fit on chevy crates w/ fastburn heads. What do you think?

All I can tell you is that Chevy says use a Vortec intake on the Fastburn heads, and that I know Vortec style ports do not line up with older heads properly. I do know that Scoggin Dickey made the new Vortec style TPI unit because the old one did not fit the Vortec heads well. I spoke to Chris Jones at Scoggin Dickey while I was at the PRI tradeshow about that intake specifically because we were looking at using a TPI intake with Vortec heads.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005, 08:11:08 PM »
The Gen 3 LS1 style engines are at this point considerably more expensive than the older stuff and it is also expensive and time consuming  to change the earlier cars over.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 09:00:50 PM »
Interestingly enough, Scoggin Dickey has the engine I'm considering for $300.00  or so cheaper than the sight I was looking at.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 09:14:11 PM »
Interestingly enough, Scoggin Dickey has the engine I'm considering for $300.00  or so cheaper than the sight I was looking at.

Yeah, Scoggin Dickey has a lock on Chevy factory performance parts. My local supplier is the GM parts depot for the area, and I've bought wholesale from them for years. The guy I've dealt with all that time told me they cannot buy GM Performance Parts as cheap as Scoggin Dickey can sell them.

There's nothing really WRONG with the crate motors. I tell people that if they are satisfied with having the same thing everyone else has with no options, it is a viable option. If you want something different, something custom, or something a little more, they are not the best way to go.

SaVaGe

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2005, 12:00:01 AM »
Savage what you need is one of my bro's torque tools. He's made some good designs and he's built up a good name for his tools. Check 'em out.

I should be able to get you a discount.

http://www.radtorque.com/
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2005, 08:46:09 AM »
virgil pretty much said it all.   rather than small preference items I would say he covered everything.   I like comp cams steel roller rockers.    I like AFR but virgil actually sees em often so I would defer to him.

I have never built a roller cam motor but they are the hot setup compared to my nostalgic solid flat tappet 104 (off road '69 z28) cam choice.   The choices virgil gave will allow for an extremely streetable combo or even a little more radical one depending on the cam... a roller can have more duration and still idle smoothly with good vacum (if you are into that).

Most custom engine builders will work with you and help you figure out what you really want.   I don't think it would be a bad idea to get the good captn to build you a motor and ship it to ya.

virgil... someday we are gonna have to talk about ignition and timing curves...

lazs

Offline koda76

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~dwdishman/
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2005, 11:19:35 AM »
I still say for less mess use the Edlebrock stuff....but if you are looking to just put an LT1 or LS1 in... Painless wiring just came out with a puter so you can run the  EFI. setups....get power and MPG...My Stock LT1 350 puts out 270 hp at the flywheel or 240 at the rear wheels...24 mpg....in a 4200 lbs Impala SS  My Gen III vortec 292 puts out the same numbers....but 20 mpg in a 5500 lb pick em up....

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2005, 07:41:41 PM »
Virgil, you build 'em for a living?

Koda, good suggestions but I'm looking for 400 range.  This is a car I drive very little, I want it to kick me in the arse like a mule when I let it rip.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2005, 08:08:14 PM »
Virgil, you build 'em for a living?

Yes, I do. But I'm in Tennessee, a little too far to do you much good. I could probably make you a pretty decent recipe that a good shop could use if you and they wanted.

SaVaGe

Offline koda76

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~dwdishman/
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2005, 08:09:29 PM »
Remember I posted bone stock numbers...with very few mods a LT1 can acheive 400 hp no problem...then spray it and wooooooph your @ 600.....(wet system)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2005, 09:54:29 PM »
Gocha Koda.  I have a 150 (wet) shot ready to go.

Virgil, if the crate doesn't pan out, can I tap you for some of those suggestions?
My father in law lives in Maryville, maybe I'll make him throw it in the back of his truck and haul it out here for me.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2005, 07:15:37 AM »
Virgil, if the crate doesn't pan out, can I tap you for some of those suggestions?
My father in law lives in Maryville, maybe I'll make him throw it in the back of his truck and haul it out here for me.

Certainly.

SaVaGe