Author Topic: Why newbies shouldn't train other newbies...  (Read 565 times)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Why newbies shouldn't train other newbies...
« on: May 18, 2001, 11:32:00 AM »
   this isn't a request for help, but since I was giving the help and training, decided to post it here.

I shipped my old stick to my friend when I got my Saitek.  He gets everything set up, and we decide to just jump right into him flying.  I tell him to go to the TA and I'll be there as soon as a I finish something "Just go take off and fly around" I tell him.

1 minute later...  "Man, this is HARD!  I can't even take off."  me - "oh yeah, go calibrate the stick.  and the twisty handle is your rudder, you might wanna use that to help with the torque, or take up the P38"  

I get in game, and we move to another base so we won't get shot at.  I take him up and just let him fly and I talk to him a bit, following him from behind.  Explain the view system, throttle, flaps, basic turning, climbing...  I get him in a Niki and let him follow me around next (I'm in a niki too, I was thinking, damn this really IS a UFO!)  I let him shoot at me, then tell him to try and keep on my 6.  Had fun, shot him up after I lost him.  

Now comes MY newbie part.  Show him how to land.  Blind leading the blind.  I'm telling him what to do, while he follows me in.  "throttle back, don't forget to use some flaps when you're about 150mph..."  all the while I'm over shooting my landing horribly.  As I'm coming around, he says "I landed, but I think I broke the plane!"  I figured he landed and just yawed and broke a wing off.  I land and pull up next to him, he's on his belly, engine dead, just sitting there.  
"I think my engine is dead"
"yeah, looks that way, hit CTRL D and find out"
"It's red, that's bad?"
"yup, what else is red beside the gear and engine"
"umm, the gear is green..."
at this point I hit myself HARD.  I forgot to tell him to put down his landing gear!!!  I apologize to him, blaming it on the auto takeoff feature ( I really did think he knew how to raise and lower his gear ) and he just said "so I made a belly landing and survived???"    That in itself was well worth the money it cost to ship him that stick.

<S!> to all you trainer types!  It's definitely hard work!  
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2001, 12:14:00 PM »
LOL Nifty!  Gimme a shout if you ever need a trainer, I'm a good *newbie* and ATG trainer, but I leave the advanced ACM stuff to the better trainers.

ripsnort@earthlink.net

------------------

~Death Rattlers~
Member of 'MAG-33' (Click here)
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Aces High Squadron Information Link
"Wer seinen Kopf verliert, beweist
  damit noch lange nicht, dass er
           einen hatte."

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
   you just want someone to fly with you in a Corsair, don't ya???  

I hopped in a DHog after a bit to demonstrate differences in planes, getting the point across that not all the planes are good at all the same things.  Of course I didn't tell him the Niki could out turn my hog until AFTER he stalled himself out and augered.    Even though he had been flying for maybe a couple of hours at that point, it was kinda cool to hear "DAMN!  you're STILL on my 6!!!"  It was actually good practice for my thumb on the view hat, and for some ACM as well.  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2001, 01:49:00 PM »
Hehe, I train in the hog with my squad, but we fly just about everything in Main..the Hog is a death trap unless flown with a group or a very special individual (see Duckwing) with todays plane set.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »
Death trap for me, yes.  but she's still fun to fly!  I'll probably start diversifying myself more as I fly more with the Mongrels.  It just looks good when you're in the same ride as your squad mate.  Not to mention it's hard to keep up with Ghost's LA7 in my hog!  

Besides, it seems the more planes you fly, the better you will become.  If you've flown a plane, you know what it can and can't do, making fighting against it a little easier.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2001, 02:55:00 PM »

Originally posted by Nifty:

Besides, it seems the more planes you fly, the better you will become.  If you've flown a plane, you know what it can and can't do, making fighting against it a little easier.

Bingo!    I'd rather be alittle good in all aircraft than really great in one aircraft.