Author Topic: I Condemn The "fudged-up" Icon Settings  (Read 11459 times)

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
I Condemn The "fudged-up" Icon Settings
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2005, 02:53:27 PM »
Even though I never fly perk planes I like the new Icon setup because if I *DO* dercide to take up an F4U-4, Spit 14 or a Tempest it gives you a chance to at least get into a fight without the neon "PERK PLANE" tag.

I dont really see what the big deal is with the new  system, seems logical to me that as you get closer you should be able to determine more info. Heck, by the time I can see the detail icon the fight is usually over one way or another for me, either me or him dying.

storch

« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2005, 04:31:57 PM »
Eliminate the gamey Icons

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2005, 04:42:54 PM »
I can post quotes all day also if that's what you'd like.  I've got plenty of books too with quotes that will fit my point of view.  Meaning if the person flies intelligently the icon system will mean very little in the first place.  This goes for the person in the early war bird and the late war bird regardless if the person knows what your flying.

Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering by Robert L. Shaw

"There is a big difference if you are in actual war or if you are playing war."

Colonel Erich "Bubi" Hartmann, GAF

"Fly with the head and not with the muscles.  That is the way to long life for a fighter pilot.  The fighter pilot who is all muscle and no head will never live long enough for a pension."

Colonel Willie Batz, GAF.  237 Victories

"A good fighter pilot, like a good boxer, should have a knockout punch....You will find one attack you prefer to all others.  Work on it till you can do it to perfection....then use it whenever possible."

Captain Reade Tilly, USAAF

"As to gunnery passes, the best was when you dived with speed, made one pass, shot an opponent down quickly, and pulled back up....The secret was to do the job in one pass; it could be from side or from behind and I usually tried to open fire at about 150 feet."

Major Erich Rudorffer, GAF. 222 Victories

"If you are thoroughly conversant with tactics, you will recognize the enemy's intentions and thus have many opportunities to win."

Miyamoto Musashi

"Don't let the enemy trick you into pulling up or turning until you lose your speed."

Major Thomas B. "Tommy" McGuire, USAAF

And last but not least

"The quality of the box matters little.  Success depends upon the man who sits in it."

Baron Manfred von Richthofen.

btw wanna know who I'am... Search Cobra412 from Tour 42 to Tour 59.  Tour 43 to present search for Erebus.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 04:48:21 PM by Cobra412 »

Offline iKo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2005, 05:20:02 PM »
I think its great the only people I see that don’t like it are the one’s that want to trick or hide what they have. If you want more advantage than have better SA or have alt. Not plane trickery. Also If you going to say knowing what plane isn’t fare than I would also say that have to many types of planes in one arena is just as unfair. This give a pilot his choice to fly what plane he like for enjoyment and how he want to fly it and not what’s going to make it like a kids game and who’s just out trying to get kills for the sake of getting kills. I feel there is a community of players that love the game just for the feel that it gives us a chance to experience a new world of WWII flying and the love of the whole game. Or should I say a whole new world to play in.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2005, 06:00:07 PM »
I've beaten many people in the P-40E and P-40B which were flying late war birds by myself.

Career Stats can be found here:

http://www.innomi.com/ahkillstats/careerstats.php

I was looking for all your P-40B kills. You made it sound as if all you hard 'planning' and proper flying techniques were paying off. At 12 and 7 over your entire 2+ year career in AH it wasn't what I expected considering your quote above. Do you define 12 as many? Or did you just mean 'many' in regards to the P-40E?

I can post quotes all day also if that's what you'd like. I've got plenty of books too with quotes that will fit my point of view. Meaning if the person flies intelligently the icon system will mean very little in the first place. This goes for the person in the early war bird and the late war bird regardless if the person knows what your flying.

None of those quotes in your post having anything at all to do with your claim that the lack of exact type icons is 'gamey'. Once again you are unable to follow from point A to point B to make a coherent point or at least one that deals with the subject at hand.

I have be some where at 7:30 but I certainly will post quotes that deal with what's actually being discussed when I get back.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2005, 06:03:28 PM »
Some of you people worry too much about who and what your fighting than fighting at all.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2005, 06:11:48 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
ROFL I still haven`t figured out how I was doin that at that distance.
  I also remember being in an A8 and you was in a 110 once.  I nearly wore the leather off of my offcial LW spiked heels on that one.

so many cannons going at it i cant remember how it ended from the noise. those 110s fly real good if you knock the wheels off.....er....accidentally of course.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline tikky

• Copper Member
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2005, 06:32:17 PM »
thanks for messing up the thread ****ers

for me... i dont like to see too much specifics on icons, i would like to see old icon back... but with some changes

(for some changes)

start by returning to previous icon mode

pls no more transitions (SPIT at long range / SPIT14 at close range)

make the la-5/la-7 and C202/205 to  just 1 name.. LAGG and MACCI (on icon)

make prop perk planes hide. For example, SPIT14 icon should just be... SPIT (again pls no more transitions), F4U4 = F4U, and make 152 hide to 190 icon.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2005, 06:38:53 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
I dont really see what the big deal is with the new  system, seems logical to me that as you get closer you should be able to determine more info.

Agreed.  Hadn't realized there were all these wolves-in-sheeps-clothing people.

- oldman

Offline iKo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2005, 06:42:50 PM »
IMO if I have to deal with so many plane choices in my fight than its only fare that I know what I am fighting and what I need to do to win!!!!  Now that makes it fun even when you lose. Not just a kill for the sake of kill. I bet the ones that want old icon’s think that score matters also lol.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2005, 06:51:57 PM »
Originally posted by tikky
thanks for messing up the thread ****ers

our pleasure im sure, it has been rather an interesting one with no real harm done.

nice thread topic dude, better than most trolls i've seen..
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Black Sheep

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/empire21productions
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2005, 08:00:02 PM »
Cobra

Again he is typically pushing his opinion across the board, regardless of anyone else's. As far as being able to " follow from point A to point B to make a coherent point or at least one that deals with the subject at hand", ; this is hardly relevant as long as it stays one-sided. That one gets quoted quite often by the way.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2005, 08:04:28 PM »
Wotan go ahead and quote from any WWII pilot you'd like.  I'm sure they'll have as much to do with this discussion as the last ones did.  Considering you don't even fly this game anymore I'm curious as to why you even come around still?

You wanna whimper about icons then protest about having HTC remove them completely.  This would fit your realism kick and you could try and sucker people into a fight.  I really feel though it's a mute point considering the only thing you'll be doing is killing those folks who don't think before they jump into a fight.  Which means in the end you'd only be killing new pilots which shouldn't be a problem in the first place and killing people who fly wrecklessly and could probably give a watermelon less if they get killed to start off with.  

You and whoever else wants to try and hide will still get their arses kicked by better pilots in the end.  They won't fall for your deception tactics and just waste you after the first or second pass.  So that basically puts you back to the middle of the pack where you belonged in the first place.  In the mean time though I'm sure your few kills against the ones who don't know any better and the ones who frankly don't care will boost your ego long enough to hold you over till the next 2 or 3 kill sortie and 20 perk points. In the end you'll still only be surviving 33 to 50% of your sorties which doesn't really fit in with your whole realism stance.  

So concerened about icons?  Setup your own server that is as realistic as it can get and stay out of the main.  It's not all about you and the very few who wanna fly perk rides or fly early war birds and try to deceive those who are gullible enough to fall for your "tactics".  Go fly the CT or SEA if want a realistic setup that gives you a chance and fair playing grounds for all.  The icon system is fair.  It shows the sub type of the aircraft at the same time as every other aircraft in the arena.  So why should you or anyone else flying a particular aircraft get special treatment?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2005, 08:22:36 AM »
You wanna whimper about icons then protest about having HTC remove them completely. This would fit your realism kick and you could try and sucker people into a fight. I really feel though it's a mute point considering the only thing you'll be doing is killing those folks who don't think before they jump into a fight. Which means in the end you'd only be killing new pilots which shouldn't be a problem in the first place and killing people who fly wrecklessly and could probably give a watermelon less if they get killed to start off with.

Quote what I said about icons...

The sum total of my 'icon whines' in this this thread can be found in my reply to Levi:

Whatever the reason for this change it's impact will be on earlier variants such as the Spit 1, Hurri 1 and Emil etc. Its not like you see a lot of those anyway but I would guess you will see even less.

[Snip]

But as long as the majority are having fun who cares...

That's it bud.

I see know why you decided to type your 'how to manual'. You just can't read and confused the above with a question.

You and whoever else wants to try and hide will still get their arses kicked by better pilots in the end. They won't fall for your deception tactics and just waste you after the first or second pass. So that basically puts you back to the middle of the pack where you belonged in the first place. In the mean time though I'm sure your few kills against the ones who don't know any better and the ones who frankly don't care will boost your ego long enough to hold you over till the next 2 or 3 kill sortie and 20 perk points. In the end you'll still only be surviving 33 to 50% of your sorties which doesn't really fit in with your whole realism stance.

That's even more comical after looking at your career stats. But that is good because if you are going to play the clown at least be some what funny.

You are average as they come. Yet you felt as if I needed your flying advice. I am best mediocre but if you look at my career stats they sure hell don't reflect 33 - 50% survival rates or me getting but kicked. In fact on average mine are higher then yours, that's with my 14 year nephew who flew 1/3 rd of the time. Looks like all you planning and perfect technique needs a little work.

To others who may read this I care nothing about stats in so far as it relates to who or who isn't 'skilled'. Its been this guy who through out his posts seems to imply that he's some kind of 'hot stick' willing to jump in and offer advice on 'how to do it right'. Much like his claim of 'killing many vets in a P-40B' his is full of ****. I only bring up the whole 'stat' thing to show that.

So concerened about icons? Setup your own server that is as realistic as it can get and stay out of the main. It's not all about you and the very few who wanna fly perk rides or fly early war birds and try to deceive those who are gullible enough to fall for your "tactics". Go fly the CT or SEA if want a realistic setup that gives you a chance and fair playing grounds for all. The icon system is fair. It shows the sub type of the aircraft at the same time as every other aircraft in the arena. So why should you or anyone else flying a particular aircraft get special treatment?

I never mentioned the word 'fair' once. My 'concern' over icons can be found in my quote above. I never said  anything about wanting a 'realism arena'. My opinions are clear on what I like in the main. A search of this forum for my past posts will educate you.

The only time I mentioned 'realism' was in reply to your idiotic claim that with out knowing exact plane type AH is 'gamey'.

this is hardly relevant as long as it stays one-sided.

Not at all, he can disagree with me I could careless. The issue isn't his opinion on the specific subject of icons its his inability to stay focused on that subject and address what was actually said rather then making things up.

He brought up 'this is how you should fly'. He brought numerous other issues that have nothing to do with anything I've said. To top that off he makes a post of quotes that are completely irrelevant to the topic or to anything else thats been written in this thread. He makes the claim that not knowing exact plane type is gamey, I provided a quote that countered that and his reply is nonsense and unrelated quotes.

Did you train him? From our last discussion its clear both of you suffer from the same problem. You can't stay on point long enough to keep a focused discussion.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2005, 07:47:56 PM »
Wotan go back to IL2.  You want to critique something that you have no experience with.  Why you choose to wander around here and critique this game when you don't even play it anymore is beyond me.

You can try and belittle me all day if you'd like.  Considering you seem to think stats show some kind of truth as to how good a player is.  I also find it amusing that you've played flight sims for how long?  I'm sure you also had someone take you under their wing and train you too.  Cosidering you have probably 3 times the amount of experience in flight sims and you wanna talk about how much better you are.  I guess I'm not too bad then with a little over a year and a half worth of self training.  Especially considering I'm just below average and your just well, average.  

By the way in regards to your icon "whine" that you posted.  It really doesn't matter since your just speculating and have nothing solid to base your claims off of since you don't even play the game anymore.  Had you actually played the game under this new icon system then you might have had legs to stand on.  Then you could critique the game all you wanted and build a huge data base to try and prove what your only speculating about now.  Speculating is no different than making an assumption and I'm sure everyone already knows what that means.  

You can sit here all day and try come up with your own theories on how this may affect the arenas and certain aircraft.  With out practical experience using the system your nothing more than a desk jockey trying to make a process better but yet have no practical experience in the process in the first place.  If you ask me that sounds alot like how the engineers I deal with on a daily basis are.  They scratch their heads when something goes wrong due to a simple failure induced by them.  The only reason it was a problem in the first place was because of their lack of practical experience with the system.  Even with their big degree their ability to analyze the problem and remedy the failure was and always is a total goat rope.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 07:50:02 PM by Cobra412 »