Author Topic: Help engaging Nik  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Help engaging Nik
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2001, 09:32:00 AM »
Lephy, bowser,
  As an very experienced Spit stick I can tell you that the N1K can out-turn it no problem.  Infact, when the fight gets slow it will easily out flat-turn a SpitIX and slowly out-turn a SpitV.  I've had many a SpitV hanging there at stall and have the N1K pulling around behind.  If the N1K drops some flaps that slow he can totally humiliate a Spit in turn.  No doubts, been there and had it happen many times.

In the vertical the N1K will beat both also, it can hang there on the prop and with all that ammo for the cannons it can just spray in the air from below you.. scary.

I hate N1K's, but that's because it's hard to beat them in my favorite ride    I find the best way to beat them is to get them high or BnZ them with my Spit, never TnB with them.

-Soda

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Help engaging Nik
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2001, 11:56:00 AM »
 I find all the talk about nik,s kinda funny. It is my favorite target. I cant remember the last time I lost a 1 v 1 against another nik. To point out some old, and very good, advice. If you are having trouble with a plane, fly it. Not just for a sortie or two. But for at least, a week. By the end of that time, you will have a real good idea what its weakness,s are. The nik has many.

I was having trouble with the G10. So I did this. My first sortie, I got 13 kills. That really got my attention. So I stayed with it for a couple weeks. Bit, by bit I would get killed, this way and that. Seeing how I was killed showed me the weakness,s of the G10 .

[This message has been edited by easymo (edited 03-08-2001).]

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Help engaging Nik
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2001, 12:20:00 PM »
Interesting Soda.

I would guess it's due to the George's great power plant generating enough speed to keep it at a better turning speed.

Hmmm, didn't think it turned that well.  Oh well, I've never turned with it anyway.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
Help engaging Nik
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2001, 01:05:00 PM »
ok I cheked the performance charts,
so I should try to take the nik up maybe at 15K?

thanks for help to all

terra

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
Help engaging Nik
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2001, 02:22:00 PM »
easymo, that's exactly what I've done, I agree, best to know your enemy to beat him.  I'm pretty good against N1K's since I understand them better now and fly a specific way against them in order to win.  Still, if I get caught Co-E with one, it's going to be a tough battle if the N1K pilot is any good since there are very few tricks to use since the N1K is better in almost every performance category.

The N1K runs outta power up high, though it still appears to turn, climb and accelerate well.  The top speed doesn't increase nearly as much though.  I ran some tests (really rough results) at one point to test a problem I was having with N1K's.  My old tactic was to dive away and try to escape on the deck in a SpitIX yet they would easily catch me even though they started Co-E.  The results were surprising, at 0K the N1K held a 20mph advantage, at 10K it was a dead heat, at 15K the Spit held at 25 mph advantage.  So, diving away isn't the greatest idea for a Spit unless you are already packing extra E, but in that case you can probably escape level.  I like the way Zigrat put it to me one time when we saw a N1K at 22K. "Wow, here's an easy kill, what the hell is he doing way up here."

Lepht, I think you are correct on the power idea, the N1K can hang there really well, better than a Spit.  The N1K is the worst nightmare for a Spit driver.  The N1K is fearsome slow and low, all those cannons make for death if they land.  It can also pull those totally bizarre vertical maneuvers with little or no speed and seem to pick up E, where the Spit can try the same thing and lose E.  I hate N1K's more than C-Hogs since they tend to be more dangerous to me, but part of that has to do with my choice of ride.  Most things can run from a N1K fairly easily.

Don't turn with a N1K unless you are in a Zero.... it's easy to fall into the trap in a Spit.

-Soda

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Help engaging Nik
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2001, 04:17:00 PM »
I flew the n1k quite a lot in H2H and many a time during last tour.

Only "weakness" (if you could call it that) is that it cant dive with "THE" premier "dive to run" planes (P-51, P-47, Yak). Aside from that, theres no more. Ive had my 400 mph P38 dive past a n1k which had turned to evade me and I've kept going down to escape... the n1k always catches up. I dont see a way out. If anyone has one, let me know, im practicing my HO skills and Alt-F4 strokes during this time. =P

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
Help engaging Nik
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2001, 05:07:00 PM »
ha ha ha ha ha Tac, nice    

You know what, I actually got to the point where I would try and auger the N1K in defense.  Quite seriously, I'd try and get up just enough speed that I knew we'd both be blacked out and then try and loop right to the ground and just pull up in time.  It actually worked for the poorer N1K pilots    It was a little more effective than Alt-F4.

The true runners can get away pretty easily in a dive, but I'm sure the P-38 has the same sorts of troubles with the N1K as the Spit does.  The Spit and P-38 are both pretty damn fine planes in their own way, just the N1K is better than them both in almost every way.  Those damn weak elevators on the P-38 must be quick work for N1K cannons too.

Another beauty to pull on the N1K is to hammer on the brakes in a P38 and roll around trying to get the overshoot.  Had this work once or twice in H2H, dive, drop flap, speed brakes, cut throttle and barrel roll hoping he overshoots without hitting me from behind.  I even dropped the gear once to help slow down though it ripped off.

-Soda

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Help engaging Nik
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2001, 12:33:00 AM »
 Anybody who overshoots anything, while flying a nik, Is to dumb to live.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Help engaging Nik
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2001, 06:57:00 AM »
Just a note guys....

Try this stuff again in 1.06.  With the new compression model, transsonic drag, and high speed buffeting, you may not see those N1k2's following you into compression anymore by flying the trim keys.  I chased a George last night in a P51B and he tried to dive away.  He compressed and made a big smoking hole in the ground.  Muhahahaha.

Time to test those escape moves again, I think they are going to work even better.  No more will that G-10 follow you down at 450 Mph by flying with trim... at least not from what I've seen so far.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Help engaging Nik
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2001, 01:03:00 AM »
The buffetting has REALLY eliminated ufo dives and spraying.

Hurray HTC!  

But gawdangint, I still cant dive and run from a n1k, they still catch me before I compress