Author Topic: Suggested P38 model time frames  (Read 374 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Suggested P38 model time frames
« on: February 22, 2005, 01:16:27 PM »
This is based on going through the group histories I have and when they noted the arrival of new 38 variants.

ETO:

-8th AF-NO G models in combat.  20th and 55th arrived with Hs and soon transitioned to Js.  NO L models as the 8th was out of the 38 business before deliveries started.  (I've read pilot accounts saying they got the new 38 just before they transitioned to 51s but based on deliveries, they probably meant J models retrofitted to bring them to what would be L standards.)
What it comes down to is any 8th AF skins in my opinion anyway, would be on J models.

9th AF-NO Gs in combat or Hs for that matter.  The 9th AF 38 groups started in early model Js and flew them until the end of the war.  L model deliveries started sometime in November 44.  Most 9th AF skins should be on Js as well with a few Ls late.

MTO-All three groups, the 1st, 14th and 82nd flew F,G, H models together.  As mentioned there is an F that was flying as late as April 44 with the 82nd.  Gs were flying until about June 44.  J models were introduced in early 44 and went until the end of the war.  L models started arriving in roughly November 44.

Pacific-F,G,Hs operating together into early 44.  J models arriving in January 44.  L models arriving and operational in October 44 until the end.  J's operating alongside Ls well into 45.

Best I can do :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters