Author Topic: I.E. and Opera 'cookies' problem  (Read 358 times)

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
I.E. and Opera 'cookies' problem
« on: May 30, 2001, 10:28:00 AM »
I screwed something up with these two or they went haywire somehow on thier own.  

Little back ground? I use Opera as a normal browser with IE as backup. Mostly for hose sites that use a lot of Java which screws up Opera at times. Like my banks web sight and a few others. I finally had it with Netscape after 5 years of using many of it's versions. Hated to do that but they flushed that nice program down the toilet over the past few years, imo.

Anyway,  Opera started having problems with a couple of the ubb web boards (AH, AGW, Target Korea) in that it seemed not to keep up with what was new posts on some of the boards while working fine on the rest.

So I chose the option in Opera to purge the "private info" that is stored for it and start over. Only now Opera does not save any cookies with which to mark and measure what is new on these boards. IE also started doing it at the same time. But I'd not changed any options or upgraded IE at all.  Whatever happened effected IE too.

An upgrade to Opera 5 did not do fix anything either. Playing with all the security and privacy preferences in the Opera settings proved fruitless.

I think it is something on this PC itself that go changed and it is effecting both IE and Opera. Maybe a file changed to read only or a registry setting??

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help in advance!

-Westy

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2001, 02:28:00 AM »
Hi Westy!

I'm not any expert on these matters, but IMO opera uses IE as a "platform", so if you make changes to other, it affects the other.

I had real problems with IE & these BBS's after I tampered IE settings. I couldn't find what I've changed wrongly and I suffered this about 3 weeks... until I found from IE's tools-internet options-advanced "restore defaults"  
No problems after that.

Try this, it should affect on opera too.

Hope this helps

janneh

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2001, 08:54:00 AM »
 Thanks Janneh.  That did not do the trick but I agree that if IE is fixed then Opera will work.

I hate M.S  

I do appreciate the response!

-Wetsy