Author Topic: Dealing with Pottymouth...  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Dealing with Pottymouth...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 10:33:24 PM »
Well, I'm heartened to see that I'm not the only one who is frustrated with the current situation. Unfortunately, I've had the experience RedTop describes happen too often myself. There really does seem to be a small group who believe that their $14.95 a month or free 2 week trial grants them a inalienable right to blast everyone else with what they read on the bathroom wall and they will fight anyone and everyone who asks them to lay off, however politely.

Setting aside the fact that not even the adults on-line are particularly pleased or impressed by it, and that it adds nothing to the game, has anyone considered all those squeeky little pre-pubescent voices on vox? Guys, there are kids playing who by the grace of God haven't yet had to wade knee deep through human depravity as many of us have (and wish we hadn't). They are wearing headphones too, lets let 'em have a couple more years of their childhood eh? I wouldn't want anyone to have to hear what my childhood sounded like...

HT, can we get some relief?

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2005, 11:02:48 PM »
While profanity doesn't phase me, I do agree that you should be able to squelch anything you want.  I would also like the game to remember who you squelch so you don't have to do it everytime you log on.
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2005, 11:37:44 PM »
Originally posted by Blue Mako
The problem is that most people have absolutely no concept of common courtesy anymore.

Yup.  Plus, I think it makes them feel grown up or something.  It's pretty ridiculous.  There's no way I would go to the MA and put the speakers on in my house.

- oldman

Offline Janov

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 12:53:08 AM »
I think rangechannel-vox is an integral part of gameplay by now, making it squelchable is not a solution anymore. The game thrives on the ability to call out to somene in your vicinity, if you always have to wonder if that guy might have heard you or not, then a lot of interaction with your countrymen goes down the drain.

I resent the guys who hog that channel, too, but they will usually shut up if being told that "nobody cares" how many trees they see, or if they think the sky is so pretty. They crave for attention and like to hear themselves talk, and usually care a whole lot about what others think about them.

The pottymouths are a different breed. My solution: make the filmrecorder also record vox-transmissions. If someone sounds like a 50cent-rapsong, just record it and send the film to HTC...

Litjan

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 02:33:54 AM »
Can appreciate your frustration, Seagoon, Redtop and others. This is a recurring topic and I recall hitech saying that he would not institute a squelch function for range channel. Also, no permanent .vsquelch list would be available either.

The argument that a player must individually and repetitively use '.vsquelch playername' is cumbersome to the normal human beings with children and/or grandmothers around the house. Usually, it's too late though.

There are plenty of reasons to justify a permanent squelch list or ability to squelch range channel. I can't think of any good reasons to justify foul mouth, obnoxious behavior.

This topic may be in vain, but it took many, many topics about nightime before HTC changed their viewpoint. You certainly don't see topic after topic now asking for nightime to come back.

I say give decent people a break and implement a solution, and remove it if causes a problem. From a business perspective, people leave the game because of the profanity or obnoxious behavior. No one leaves because they can't be oboxious or foul mouthed.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 07:42:24 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
This topic may be in vain, but it took many, many topics about nightime before HTC changed their viewpoint. You certainly don't see topic after topic now asking for nightime to come back.

Actually yea we do.
With about the same frequency as we do with this topic.

But I can see the point about Vox though I dont think its a good idea even though there are times when I would like to be able to squelch it as well.
But for different reasons.

Best thing to do I think is just get on the person ranting.

By and large I dont hear people rant alot. usually its only the occasional cuss word and not a whole lot worse then I hear on regular TV channels.
but occasionally Someone comes out ranting and raving with strings of obscenities that make even me roll my eyes.

the most common reason for the rants.

Someone didnt get a 6 call
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 08:39:11 AM »
Janov.  It'd be your choice whether or not you want to turn it off.

If you turn it off however, know that you won't get hearing any vocal check sixes or anything.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 09:13:42 AM »
When someone else has the ability to take a dump on my living room carpet at will and my only option is to deal with the mess eventually I'm going to move.
Range channel at most times I play the game isn't actually that bad, however when it is bad it is very bad. I'm not talking just about foul language, I'm also talking about going into a large fight where range vox is constantly, without break, in use.  I don't play AH to listen to other shoot the breeze, insult each other, talk politics/religion, etc.  I have no problem with people doing that but I do have a problem with is being in a situation where my only choice is to put up with it or leave the area/game.  I do know that there are "private" channels that people can use for this kind of banter barrage but the fact is that private channels are not used for it by enough players and that impacts my enjoyment of the game.
Giving me the option of turning off range channel, or even turning down the volume of it pretty much makes this problem go away.

asw
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 09:16:17 AM by detch01 »
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2005, 09:30:38 AM »
Walmart has nice headphones for less than $20.

Not only does your family not want to hear cussing, they don't want to hear the other sounds.

Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
For what it's worth
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2005, 11:37:02 AM »
I may be wrong , but when people use range or any channel on the radio their name appears in the upper right of the screen.  You then have enough information to squelch  the ofending player, right?

It's not the range vox that's the problem, it's the person that has the foul mouth, right?  use squelch to shut them up.

that's what I do.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: For what it's worth
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 11:45:28 AM »
Originally posted by Traveler
I may be wrong , but when people use range or any channel on the radio their name appears in the upper right of the screen.  You then have enough information to squelch  the ofending player, right?

It's not the range vox that's the problem, it's the person that has the foul mouth, right?  use squelch to shut them up.

that's what I do.

Only by then, it is too late.  Your 3 yearold just learned a new word.  
I really don't understand what your point is here.  You don't want someone to have the ability to not be tuned to range?  How does that effect your life? :rolleyes:
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Re: For what it's worth
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2005, 12:32:53 PM »
Originally posted by Traveler

I play AH to play AH. I don't see it as an opportunity to polish up my typing skills.
What I'd like to know is how, if given a choice to do so, my squelching range vox interferes with anyone else's game play?
It's not all about shutting down some foul-mouthed git, sometimes its about just cutting down on the background noise and enjoying the fights for the fights. If someone needs to talk to me that badly they can tune me on private or figure out what channel I'm on.
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: Re: For what it's worth
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2005, 02:23:40 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Only by then, it is too late.  Your 3 yearold just learned a new word.  
I really don't understand what your point is here.  You don't want someone to have the ability to not be tuned to range?  How does that effect your life? :rolleyes:

dedalos,

The fact that people didn't have to wait for Aces High to make the range channel squelchable.  That there was a means right now to eleminate the offending foul mouth.  

That was my point and you didn't get it.  As a point of clairification I in no way stated or indicated from my statement that I was "against anyone haveing the ability to not be tuned to range", I don't see how you inferred that from what I actually did say.

I spent 4 years in the service of my country, 18 months as a combat medic in VietNam with the 5th Special Forces, I imagine I have heard every curse word known to man many times over, I didn’t much care for it then, I don't care to listen to it now.  I was just trying to offer an immediate solution to what can be a very distressing problem, especially  when one has young children at home.  

I found the use of stero head phones very useful, along with a gentel reminder to the offenders that I don't care to listen to it.

detch01,
you are 100% right, you don't need vox to enjoy the good fight, but my understanding of this thread was that it was about the potty mouth and what might be done about not noise polution.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2005, 03:16:43 PM »
Traveler,

First let me sincerely thank you and your family for your service.

I pastor a church in Fayetteville ( http://www.providencepca.com ), and many of our congregation are members of the SF community, particularly 7th and 19th group or are going through the Q course (most of whom hope to be 18 Deltas as well). Many of them feel the same way you did about the language problem, but soldier on anyway. Generally speaking though, even the worst offenders in the field have enough sense of honor and propriety not to use that kind of language around children.

Anyway, I won't go over the reasons yet again, but obviously headphones (while they help) aren't going to solve the problem. What I'd really like to know at this point is if HT is actually concerned and views it as a problem himself?

PS: My kids do love the zooming, shooting, engine, and explosion noises. Often my daughter or older son will climb up on my lap and we'll go flying *OFFLINE* My daughters favorite plane is the Nikki because she can shoot down the most pesky P-51s with it. She wants a pink cammo job for it though.
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2005, 03:31:12 PM »
yeah its one thing to make your squaddies listen to your swearing but another to do it over range. I feel sorry for those with kids that have that happen. Seems like a range squelch would be best and maybe have a disclaimer next to their ID that says range vox off or something so you can still type to them if you need to pass a message on the situation.

also agreed that 90% of profanity on range comes from lack of check 6, which really makes me laugh because its the same as blaming someone else for your lack of SA.