Author Topic: Flying tips  (Read 457 times)

Sarnak

Flying tips
« on: March 16, 2001, 10:19:00 PM »
I have some questions concerning the flight model and characteristics in Aces High.  I have been using flight Sims for several years and have been a flying Warbirds since 1996. As I understand it AH has air turbulence, which WB has never had until the recent addition in the expert arena and they both are suppose to be modeled on actual flight data. I can tell a huge difference in the way planes perform as in they seem to fly smoother in WB.  I like a lot of the features in AH and have an account, but my flying skills with it suck compared to my performance with WB.  I will try to bank or roll the aircraft and it is slow then jerks and speeds up or pulls back slowly from a bank, but if I turn on the auto pilot under similar conditions it performs much quicker.  I have tried the same ac in WB and AH and a do not get the same responses.
Any suggestions?

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Flying tips
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2001, 12:04:00 AM »
Let's try a few things here:

1) Check your stick scaleing. Setup button, Joystick. There's a BUNCH of sliders in there usually set in a typical rising stair pattern. For roll you want them all at max, yaw should be set starting at 75 and going up from there. Pitch settings are purely dependant on what and how you fly.

2) Check your Windoze calibration screen. Make sure the stick itself isn't doing anything funny.

3) If your stick came with any special software (Sidewinder for example) check that too.

4) Take an Fw-190 A5 up, wind it up to around 300mph and slowly move the stick left. Roll speed should steadily increase until it does an impression of a cork screw. If not? You got some esplaining ta do Lucy!.

My guess is your stick is playing tricks on you. If it moves slowly then suddenly jumps one of two things are happening. Either a: your stick is spiking badly or b: the stick scaleing in AH is to blame. Try everything above and wait for a few more replies here. You should try the tech support board too, just to be safe.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Sarnak

Flying tips
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2001, 11:30:00 PM »
   Thanks for the input, I believe that my joystick is spiking badly. I cannot keep it on any form of autopilot for more than a couple of seconds. I have a Thrustmaster
F-16 FLCS, which I have cleaned the dust from and re-calibrated several times. It gives me no trouble at all in WB, but I cannot get it to stop spiking in AH. Increasing the damping does not help either. Any plane that I fly handles poorly, jumps around a lot, and will not maintain autopilot.

Offline ZOSO

• Copper Member
Flying tips
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2001, 05:04:00 AM »
If you love your TM gear like I do, you might want to check out www.stickworks.com  for digital replacement chips for your flcs and or tqs.  I got mine back in December and love the results, no more spiking whatsoever.

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Flying tips
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2001, 01:54:00 PM »
Sarnak... isn't that First Officer Spock's father from Vulcan???

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Flying tips
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2001, 07:09:00 PM »
Nope, Spock's dad is Sarek.  In the later movies he is Ambassador Sarek.  

<edit>  My wife says I am a huge geek because I knew this. </edit>

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 03-22-2001).]

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Flying tips
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2001, 01:54:00 PM »
He he he Leph, join the club buddy :-)

I'm right there with you...