Author Topic: Terrain Crash  (Read 278 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Terrain Crash
« on: February 25, 2005, 06:06:16 AM »
Ok, I'm really perplexed on this one. I'm making some large groups of pine trees.

I took the stock trees file and did some editing on it -
Basicaly took the lower level of vertical planes (the tree trunks) and extended them higher. I deleted the second, higher layer of planes (tree trunks) from the stock model.

So now I have a group of vertical planes. Now I adjusted the horizontal planes (4 of them - 3 for foilage, one for shadow) and lowered them to where the upper most one is below the top of the vertical planes (treetrunks)

None of the heirachy was changed from the stock. only differnce was textures and mapping which are all 256x256 with alpha text.

Looks fine in OE - looks good in TE, built it  - flew over - all good - go down close to the trees and it locks up. No way out except to reboot.

So I can't find anyhting thats obvious - i made sure all of the objects weren't touching any other objects and that they were not intersecting any of the quadrant lines or overhanging the borders.

Went back through and compared heirarchy...that looked good.

Checked textures - nothing odd there - all 256x256 8bit.

Are the tress built the way they're built for a reason? With the top layer floating? Just curious?

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Terrain Crash
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 07:30:41 AM »
Alright - I'm on to something - it's definetly in the model.

I deleted all of the horizontal planes - and it causes no crashes once built.

will look further into it...but i'm leaning into it being a possible texture thing.

Would it be best to use the images in the TE's texsrc folder as the textures that Ac3d looks to for mapping. That way all programs and steps are looking at the same file?

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Terrain Crash
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 10:49:10 AM »
Well, still crashing. Hard lock up everytime you fly next to it.

Thought I found something in that I had a polytag typo on one object.

I went and cut and pasted direct from the stock "trees1" model to my model, which is just a modified version of "trees1" in size and position of a few objects. Still get the hard lock.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 10:51:12 AM by Waffle »

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Terrain Crash
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 12:10:36 PM »
Running out of things to try here...

is Indexed color "0" (RGB 255,0,255) set up to be not only transparent, but non-collideable? I'm thinking I might be close enough to the objects that i'm colliding with the transparent part.

Some reason when ever I use 255,0,255 and index it, it comes out to 2. so all my alpha text are at 2 instead of 0. Would that cause it?