Author Topic: A way to help new players  (Read 765 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Furious
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 02:48:31 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
You ever get excited about a new game and just start playing without reading the instructions?

I have.  I would say most do.

A single dedicated channel would be an easy way to get most folks proficient enough to want to continue their learning in the TA.

NO, I learned a long time ago to read the instructions twice and to take advantage of training areas for learning new things.  The Offline game works pretty well also.

I truly beleive that  if a decitated channel is added to the arena for help, that it will have several effects on the game.  One, no one will ever use the training arena again.  Two, wrong information will be distributed about the game, because the people answering the questions are wrong.  

One good thing about the training arena is the trainers in the arena all know the game.  No miss information is being distributed.

A good example:

Last Saturday night, while attacking and trying to capture a field, a question was asked on a squad channel : "does every building in the town have to be down, even the indistructable building?"

One response was "there are no indistructable buildings in a town", the correct answer, but not presented forcefully enough to be considered right.

a second response , very forceful indicated that there were indeed industructable buildings in the town and it didn't have to be down, the wrong answer.  

The squad spent 30 minutes and 4 sets of troops before they figured out that all buildings in a town had to be down.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Re: Furious
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2005, 03:12:35 PM »
Originally posted by Traveler

O, I learned a long time ago to read the instructions twice

I don't even do that with power tools.

One, no one will ever use the training arena again.

Lot of difference between going to a training area and asking questions inside a game you are already playing.

Two, wrong information will be distributed about the game, because the people answering the questions are wrong

As I understand the presentation, the people answering the questions will be experienced people who have volunterred..uhh.. volentierre....uh.. said that they would be willing to answer questions on the "HELP" channel

The squad spent 30 minutes and 4 sets of troops before they figured out that all buildings in a town had to be down.

Probably shouldn't be joining a squad that doesn't know what it is doing. :rolleyes:

See quotes #1 and #2
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 03:16:32 PM by Lye-El »

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
A way to help new players
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2005, 03:23:18 PM »
something else that might help them is since HTC knows who is new they could have the MOTD come up for those with some information on how to get started.

1)how to pick plane and start engine
2)how to pick a field where combat is going on
3)how to use radio
4)info on how captures occur
5)how to go to TA and/or link to the instructions

I think those are the most common questions I see and could get the newbs rolling.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2005, 03:55:04 PM »
Traveler,

Maybe I misunderstood this post too so appologies in advance.  
TA is for flying.  The chanel will be for asking questions.  Some times while in the game, you may have a question.  A simple one but one you don't have the answer to?  Should you have to log and go to the TA and ask?  The TA is some times ampty you know.

"Do we really need a decited channel in the MA for help when an entire arena already exists?"

How does have this chanel effect your game play?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
How a busy channel affects game play
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2005, 05:46:55 PM »
All comm channels are on a decitated server as I understand it, I may be wrong.  it's just more data traffic on a server, we experience lots of lag now, it's just more data traffic, there has to be an effect somewhere, no?  People ask questions now, if I know for sure, I answer them, if I don't know for sure, I say I don't know.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 06:02:53 PM »
Traveler, the lag you speak of is not from the servers being loaded down.  Just FYI.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: How a busy channel affects game play
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2005, 12:39:10 AM »
Originally posted by Traveler
All comm channels are on a decitated server as I understand it, I may be wrong.  it's just more data traffic on a server, we experience lots of lag now, it's just more data traffic, there has to be an effect somewhere, no?  People ask questions now, if I know for sure, I answer them, if I don't know for sure, I say I don't know.

thanks for helping Traveler, appreciate all the help people give

the thing is with a dedicated channel, it will cutout most of the Alt-F4's , hit enter 3 times, crapola answers that get throwed out to the new players. If we had a dedicated channel, the new players would get the right answers because the others would not waste their time trying to watch a 4th or 5th channel just to give a crackpot answer, If people do try to give stupid wise crack answers, I am sure HTC will provide a means to mute such individuals or boot them out of the arena for say 30 minutes for being a jerk to a new customer/player
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2005, 04:45:32 AM »
I was thinking along the lines of questions that are like.....

How do you drop the hook in a carrier plane?
How do you select and fire rockets/bombs?
How do you change gears?
or more lately....How do you make your bailed out pilot move?
etc.

Many of these questions are asked by both new folks and others who have forgot/never knew because they have only been flying planes for the first month of their career in AH etc.  This channel would be great for those questions I think.

Questions on this channel could easily lead to trips to the TA for some one on one instruction.  This in my opinion would lead to a better playing enviroment for all of us....less frustration = more fun every time.

Zaphod

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2005, 04:52:43 AM »
Hey Daddog :)

An off topic question...

Do you have Ghosth's new e-mail? If yes, would you please mail it to me at "rasmus_friluft@yahoo.se". That way I'll get both your mails to my new mail...
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2005, 04:08:46 PM »
Great idea! I'm in the TA a lot and would have loved this option my 1st few days. Now when I try to help new guys I normally pvt talk to them and have to go through the process of telling them to type in name, etc... This would be great b/c I could just say click on 1st box and click "newbie channel". Or I guess they could be automatically on it when they 1st log on duh:D  Hitech, I hope you give this some serious consideration down the road.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2005, 07:09:55 PM »
OMG its ALIVE!

Smatter, too much ice on the rocks to climb em? Ran out of pretty girls to chase?

Email is winging your way btw bro.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2005, 11:11:15 PM »
I think biggest help would be reminding peeps on the download page that the game CAN be tried offline--ya arent usin up ur 2 weeks tryin to figger out why plane wont start or some similar crap--download page ALSO might remind peeps that they can alt-tab out of game to go to the link that has 90% of the common commands
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2005, 10:15:31 PM »
Traveler you can't change human nature. You might read the directions twice and spend hours and hours in a training arena before you jump into the "game", but 90% of the players will not do that. Unless HTC is willing to restrict where new players can go you will always have newbies in the MA and other arena's.

Also you can't expect players to learn it all in two weeks or even a month. There will be questions for weeks and weeks about how to do something in this sim.  I have had squadies that have been playing for over 6 months ask me things that you and I may take for granted. One squadie was playing for over a year and never knew you could zoom in on the clipboard with out making the clipboard larger, till he asked how we were seeing the things on the clipboard he could not.

I truly beleive that if a decitated channel is added to the arena for help, that it will have several effects on the game. One, no one will ever use the training arena again.
I think your wrong. There will always be a need for the training arena and a simple help channel in the MA would not end its efficacy.

If we had a dedicated channel, the new players would get the right answers because the others would not waste their time trying to watch a 4th or 5th channel just to give a crackpot answer, If people do try to give stupid wise crack answers, I am sure HTC will provide a means to mute such individuals or boot them out of the arena for say 30 minutes for being a jerk to a new customer/player
Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

Hey Wilbus! :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure