Author Topic: Anyone complaining about HOs.......  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Anyone complaining about HOs.......
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2005, 12:36:20 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Not for me.  I read that as the acronym.  

Acronym of Head On?

An head on or a head on?

Yeah yeah I know, an aitch oh.

:)  I'm just being picky for comedy effect mate.  
Don't mean nuthin by it.

Offline Despair

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2005, 12:39:52 PM »
The worst thing for me is lag kill on HO when u start a reverse when ur hoer is already behind u and then all of a sudden u get a 1-2 sec delay on their ping on ur wing falls off. I have 220 ping.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2005, 12:52:43 PM »
Insults to one side..............

If two  ac are flying toward each other 180 degrees opposed then they are both HO'ing.

If they are not then neither are HO'ing. (even if  one is attempting to)

Ya know its so fundamentally simple.............it does not matter how many are involved in the total combat.

For two ac to meet head to head both have participated in the manouvre............

It may be true that some players seem to actually only want to bring guns "on"  in this way........... however the other player always has the choice to attempt to avoid it.

It takes two to HO............

If every ac in the arena was trying to HO you............ you could if you so wished avoid every attempt......you would of course die anyway from a myriad of shots from various angles.
Ludere Vincere

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2005, 12:58:20 PM »
Ok Tilt did you not even read my example as well as slimm's.  Both are accurate and happen.  Don't be so afraid to admit you misspoke sheesh.  You'll only garner more respect that way rather then trying to support a flawed satement.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2005, 12:58:45 PM »
I'm trying to get HO's enabled for Sour's Dueling ladder...but seems everyone is afraid of a little old merge with guns hot.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2005, 01:17:21 PM »
how is it wrong for a heavy fighter armed to the teeth to not HO a more agile less armed fighter?

thats like saying you cant HO zeros in a F4UC :rolleyes:
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2005, 01:30:01 PM »
If two ac are flying toward each other 180 degrees opposed then they are both HO'ing.

ROFL.  are you really going to pursue this with this line of logic?

By our definition, "our" being this community,    2 AC flying toward each other 180 degrees(or nearly so) opposed is a merge.

An HO occurs when one or both of the merging planes fire(s).  Thus, an HO requires only one plane to fire.  It takes two to merge, one to HO.

Tilt, give it up please, it's embarrassing.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2005, 01:42:54 PM »
Simshell, I'm not saying it's wrong.  What I am saying is this, using your example:

The zeke and the C hog merge, both choosing to HO

Most common probable result assuming both have ammo and both are reasonably proficient shots:   The Chog destroys the zeke.  The zeke damages the C-hog  to the point where it is not combat effective.

Second most probable outcome:  Mutual  destruction

To me, neither outcome is acceptable
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2005, 01:58:44 PM »
Wow!

What a change in perspective!  Two (or was it three?) years ago Tilt would have won this argument.  In fact, Shane, a bunch of others, and maybe even Steve would have been with him.   From my personal experience, it takes two planes to engage in air combat.  However it only takes one of the two planes to engage in a HO attack.  The "it takes two" statement is like saying all sex is consensual.  

That is not to say that both planes are not participating, but one plane is actively pursuing a HO shot.   Personally, I think AH2 (HiTech, et al) should lower the likely hood of a frontal shot hitting.  But, that aside, there are ways to avoid the HO.  I have talked about them before and they work for me.  I have engaged in HO attacks, but it's always a last resort and usually suicidal for both planes.  

Regards,

Malta
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 02:10:15 PM by stantond »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2005, 02:03:28 PM »
Geeesh ... were getting down to semantics here I guess.

Yes it takes two to create a HeadOn merge.

Yes it takes at least one to take the HeadOn shot on a HeadOn merge.

BUT ...

unless there are 2 (count 'em) aircraft involved in a HeadOn merge ... you can't have an HeadOn shot.

If two planes are coming directly at me, I can only get a HeadOn merge and HeadOn shot with only one of them because the 2 planes cannot occupy the same airspace.

Show me the fighter plane that I can get a guns solution on 2 or more planes at the same time during a HeadOn merge and I will have found my new ride.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2005, 02:05:12 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
Thus as you pull into the closest threat and go past that guy a forth comes flying head  on at you and blasts you in the face, before you have time and or "E" to manuever.

Thus taking only one person to Ho.

Not a HO , it's "fortune de guerre"

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2005, 02:05:28 PM »
LOL Slap,

An F16 8)

So what are you saying,  It takes two to Ho or not lolh.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2005, 02:08:03 PM »
LOL

if "fortune de guerre" means studmuffin.  Then I agree lolhrotffpm.:rofl

Offline Tabasco

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2005, 02:20:08 PM »
It was my understanding that a HO takes place when someone FIRES in a head-on situation, not merely two planes flying towards each other.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2005, 02:27:40 PM »
When somebody starts to merge nose to nose with me, if I see tracers, they're going to eat cannon fire. If I don't see tracers, maybe they did shoot at me, maybe they didn't... but people without tracers usually aren't your typical noob, and thus, less likely to try for a lame HO. Usually turns out as a good fight.

On the flipside of that, if I have some stupid angled deflection shot that looks like a HO, I'm shooting. If I'm outnumbered and somebody wants to merge nose to nose, I'm shooting first.

It's a realistic game, not real life. I'm happy to play it as it is.