Author Topic: How does one use torpedos?  (Read 474 times)

Offline DizzyJoe

• Zinc Member
How does one use torpedos?
« on: June 04, 2001, 01:46:00 PM »
I noticed that the Ju88 can be used as a torpedo bomber, but I haven't found any information on how to use them.  I'm betting there are factors I need to consider like dive angle, altitude, range to target, etc., but I haven't found this anywhere.  

I've tried to practice offline but I don't even know if I'm doing it right.  I don't see the characteristic wake of an activated torpedo streaking away when I release the ordinance, but I don't know whether this is because there isn't supposed to be one in AH or if I'm just doing it all wrong.  I certainly haven't hit anything.

Does anyone know how torpedoes should be launched from airplanes?  A film would be great!

Thanks!
DJ

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2001, 02:33:00 PM »
There is a wake if the torpedo is running properly.  You have to be very low and slow to drop these successfully.  Speed should be around 150 and you should be under 200ft alt.  

Maybe someone else can clarify the actual requirements.

-Ding

Offline DizzyJoe

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2001, 02:49:00 PM »
Thanks Dingy.  I'll try that when I get home.  Any idea what the range of a torpedo is?  I assume it doesn't keep going until it reaches a solid mass.  I think I also remember something about a "minimum range" for torpedos, otherwise they don't detonate.  But this was for U-Boats, not sure about plane launch torps in AH.  Any info would be much appreciated.

DJ

Offline Fastbikkel

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/fastbikkel
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2001, 12:49:00 AM »
That minimum range is for you to get the hell out of blast's way.  

[===Panther===]

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2001, 07:59:00 PM »
Ok I have one for you guys. I was test running a TBM and i dropped a torp on my own battelship. (hey they dont fire back!!) Anyway, when i dropped i was about 500k (ya i know, close) out and she was swimming fine, but she went right UNDER its bow?!? I saw it come right out the other side, no hit--nothing?!? Any ideas?

------------------
"It takes blood, sweat, and tears to make a warrior.  Are you ready to bleed?"-32nd Devil Dogs

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2001, 08:06:00 AM »

Originally posted by [===Panther===]:
Ok I have one for you guys. I was test running a TBM and i dropped a torp on my own battelship. (hey they dont fire back!!) Anyway, when i dropped i was about 500k (ya i know, close) out and she was swimming fine, but she went right UNDER its bow?!? I saw it come right out the other side, no hit--nothing?!? Any ideas?

Could be 1 of 2 things....one, your own torps dont detonate on friendly boats or two, there is a minimum range programmed into the torps and you were inside it.  Dunno.

-Ding

HessuJ

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2001, 08:15:00 AM »

Originally posted by [===Panther===]:

If you were on offline, you could also check the Protect objects setting in Settings-arena setting. The default value is 1 (meaning, you cannot destroy your own countrys buildings). Set this to 0.

------------------

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2001, 03:35:00 PM »
Ju88 torpedo run

main things to remember:
DO NOT EXCEED 200mph all torps fail
190mph is a good speed
DO NOT EXCEED 200 ft all torps fail
100ft is best i find
DO NOT EXCEED 2.5k in DISTANCE
a good indicator you are within range is the ships firing at you.try to bare it as long as you can and drop as late as possible.try to rudder turn away and keep wings level,this seems to help you avoid fire on egress.
TORPEDO SPEED ON JU88 IS CONSIDERABLY FASTER
less lead is necessary.

TBM NO LIMITS ON SPEED OR ALT (as far as i know)RANGE is also a lot longer almost 5k i think.Slower so needs more lead

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: hazed- ]