Author Topic: Gonna beat down all you suckahs!  (Read 423 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Gonna beat down all you suckahs!
« on: March 02, 2005, 08:21:50 AM »
Just re-enlisted for 6-months of "Aces High" combat after a 5-month absence.  W00t!

I went through two updates, a bunch of terrain loads, plane cacheing, and whatnot, and selected a P-38J just for kicks (hey, it was new and I wanted to see what it was like).  First mission was pretty simple, 75% fuel, max ammo, climb to 10k.  First enemy con I find is above me - P-51D!  He dove down on my hi 1 position and I tried to bring my nose around for a shot.  He got me in the first pass because I forgot to get out of the way.  I think his name was Bulzeye or something like that.  

Next flight, shot down by a 109F at close quarters with his C205 wingie giving me fits.  I think we went through 2 or 3 revolutions before the 109F got a shot on me and cut off my port wing.

That's when I began to wonder if the P-38J has combat flaps or not; had some trouble reading the dash board because its a new lay-out from what I'm used to, so I wasn't certain where the indicator light was.  I learned the hard way that it doesn't have the 38L's excellent combat flaps.  

After that I turned off tracers and got two kills (a bomber and a 190A in a tree-jumping chase), then I switched to the P-38L and had much better luck against fighters.  Five month absence, one day back, and I'm batting .500.

Anyway, I like the moving control column and the new views out of the P-38 greenhouse.  I think AH2 is running better for me now than it was when I left in October.  

The P-38J isn't a half-bad ride but the P-38L is the better dogfighter.

Does the P-51 have a Malcolm Hood yet?

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 09:31:01 AM »
Its all between ur ears the PJ turns just as or better than the L.

Take a G next time slow but turns even greater.

welcome back !!
:D

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 09:48:40 AM »
Welcome back Gofaster, if you need some kills, please look for me in the H2H :)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 10:23:41 AM »
Thanks, guys!

I didn't try the G because I wanted to see how fight-able the J was.  I'll try the G the next time around.  I assume they all compress at the same speed?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 12:29:17 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Thanks, guys!

I didn't try the G because I wanted to see how fight-able the J was.  I'll try the G the next time around.  I assume they all compress at the same speed?

I've only compressed once in the G and that was in a desperation dive to try and save a countryman who was in with a mob.  The G, despite no dive flap gives plenty of warning before hand.

I don't find that the compression in any of the 38s is as bad as it was in the previous L

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »
Welcome back.

All P-38s have "combat flaps". Only the P-38L has dive recovery flaps. As Bug stated, there's virtually no difference between the J and L, except the dive recovery flaps. Go ahead and try the P-38G. It's not nearly as good in the vertical, but it is a turner.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.