Author Topic: Deflection  (Read 498 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Deflection
« on: June 19, 2001, 11:00:00 PM »
Just wondering... wouldn't it help on deflection shooting from a TNB fighter if you increased the convergence to the maximum, 650?

It seems to me that for longer range convergence, the guns are aimed up somewhat.

Or am I completely off-base?
sand

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Deflection
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2001, 04:38:00 AM »
Im not much for TnB fighting. But i would have imagine you'd want to optimise your guns for the snapshot and close deflection shots of low to no rate of closure. So i wouldnt think setting large convergences would be benificial.

Fact: the closer you are the more likely you are to kill.
Fact: Hitting the plane at convergence range will get kills, anything else will more likely just do damage.

So for any fighting paradigm (BnZ or TnB) anything over 400 would be counter-productive.

I stagger mine 350, 375, 375 for Boomin and zoomin.

Take a look at sim-HQ's article on deflection shooting - its real good.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Deflection
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2001, 06:50:00 AM »
Well, if you are shooting at 300 yards, but your guns are set to converge at 600 yards, yes your guns will likely be angled upwards more so that at 300 yards to target your bullet stream would be above your aim point.  This compensates somewhat for pulling G's, but if you are close it can hurt you since you can shoot over your target if you are not pulling G's.  In addition, you won't be at convergence, as Spatula noted.

If you like your bullet stream to go a bit above your aiming point, a better way to do that is to simply move your head position up a bit.  By doing that you can get the same aiming effect as a longer convergence, but still converge your guns at 300 or at whatever range you are firing.

Set your convergence to the range you will be firing for effect at most often, and adjust your gunsight and/or head position.  I have a little article up about adjusting the view system that includes my setup here:  http://lephturn.webhop.net/views.htm

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Deflection
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2001, 07:26:00 PM »
Changing your convergence will not change your aim point.  Setting convergence to 650 and your aim point is at 250 makes things a bit complicated.

When you T&B, you don't do much shooting with our aircraft level.  If you lower your aim point for bullet drop, the only time your sights will be correct is when you are flying straight and level. I think you are better off leaving your aim point and aim above the target.

I think shooting at too great of distance is a mistake when you are T&Bing.  When you are turing with an enemy, you want to position yourself behind him to set up a tracking shot.  You do this by lagging, or pointing your sight behind the target.  If you go for the shot too soon, you are leading your target.  This will make you loose your angles (position) or you will overshoot (pass in front of the enemy).

The next time you run out of ammo, keep chasing the enemy and you will see what I mean.  You will be set up for the best shot and wish you had one more burst of ammo  :)  The reason for this is because when you are out of ammo, you quit trying to lead the target, and you start following.

Just one dweebs opinion  :)  Good luck!

Gunner <CAF>
GunrCAF
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Deflection
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2001, 04:53:00 AM »
Deflection shooting is my favorite thing to try to do. I just use my normal convergence settings of 375 and 400 and keep the shots under d.8. As far as shooting with altered sights, to raise the aim point, never saw much of an advantage to it due to the fact the difference isn't that great, or so it seemed to me. Drex is one I enjoy watching make those long deflection shots. Don't know how he has his sight and convergence set up but he seems to do well with it.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Deflection
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2001, 08:46:00 AM »
Thanx Leph... messed around with it last night and tried the elevated site. Not sure if my gunnery got better... Unfortunately, I didn't shoot a whole lot. My SA was suffering so bad that I just called it a quits for the evening.
sand