Author Topic: P-38g; P-38j; P-38l  (Read 907 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38g; P-38j; P-38l
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 10:50:41 PM »
IIRC, the F and earlier models did not have the Fowler Flaps (i.e. combat flaps/maneuvering flaps) as they were introduced in the G model.  Only the late model J's (J-25-L0) and L series had dive flaps.  And contrary to the beliefs of some, not one model featured dive brakes.

**correction** the Fowler flaps were strengthened in the G model but were present in the F model.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 10:55:29 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
P-38g; P-38j; P-38l
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005, 10:05:50 AM »
Would be nice to have a dive brake just like in the old cartoons.
Just thinking about those oldies makes me :)
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
P-38g; P-38j; P-38l
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2005, 06:45:04 AM »
Dive flaps are designed to slow down an airplane, not provide additional lift. i.e. the Dauntless has dive flaps.

Combat flaps are designed to aid in maneuvering and provide additional lift. i.e.  The Ki-84 has combat flaps.

Flaps increase lift and drag; i.e. the P-51 will allow 25% flaps to aid in maneuvering with a slight increase in drag.

The dashboard in the P-38 is not correct. ;)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38g; P-38j; P-38l
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 01:43:04 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Dive flaps are designed to slow down an airplane, not provide additional lift. i.e. the Dauntless has dive flaps.

Combat flaps are designed to aid in maneuvering and provide additional lift. i.e.  The Ki-84 has combat flaps.

Flaps increase lift and drag; i.e. the P-51 will allow 25% flaps to aid in maneuvering with a slight increase in drag.

The dashboard in the P-38 is not correct. ;)

Like I mentioned earlier, the P-38's dive flaps are not dive brakes.  The dive flaps on the P-38 are designed to change the air flow over the wing to provide a small amount of lift to aid in the recovery while in a dive.

The Fowler Flaps on the P-38 ARE combat/maneuvering flaps.

...and it's not the P-38's dashboard that is incorrect...

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song