Author Topic: Lute's MS sidewinder and my car  (Read 550 times)

Offline Rett

• Zinc Member
Lute's MS sidewinder and my car
« on: March 02, 2005, 04:17:45 AM »
Saturday I logged in for a nice relaxing day of AH without the wife and kid to distract me. Wouldnt you know it  my friend and squad CO WMlute is online.....Lute is mourning the loss of his most favorite posession in the world his MS sidewinder precision pro stick. It seems that after years of stick-stiring and HOing it finally crapped out on him.

We get to talking about it and it dawns on me that I had just looked at 2 or 3 of them new in box at our local Wal-mart yesterday. I know that they pulled them off the market over a year ago but, our local wallyworld in podunkville florida seems to have a few.
Well, Lute flips out and asks me to head down there and buy it for him and he'd pay me back. No problem...... i jump in my trusty 13 year old mustang that i have had for 10 years and have spent countless thousands of dollars on modifing and generally making insanely fast and according to my wife "too loud to sit in for more than 5 minutes"
I get to the store ran(not walked) to the electronics deparment, scooped up the last joystick and headed for the checkout.... The cashier rings it up total comes to $19.99. (1st clue....the price sticker i saw underneath it was for $39.99) I figured that since it was dicontinued that i was getting a great deal yay!!!

I'm driving back home and sitting in traffic you would think at 10am on a saturday people have better things to do than sit in traffic. Anyhow, I start to smell something burning....I naturally assume that the sanford and son 79 chevy pickup next to me is on its last legs and something is burning under the hood and causally ignore it.(2nd clue if you smell it burning in your car odds are its YOUR car).
So off i go down the road.......then awwww crap i start to see SMOKE coming from underneath my hood!!!!
I'm 2 blocks from my house and on a really busy road with no shoulder to pull of on,  so i figure i'll try to get home(3rd clue and bad idea).
As i hit the main road into our subdevelopment  i see FLAMES!!!!! friggin FLAMES coming out from the cowling on the hood....PANIC MODE kicks in i scream into my driveway about 10 ft. from the house and go to grab the gardenhose....and.......my wife moved it to the backyard. so here i am in my front yard with a silly look on my face walmart bag in hand looking for a gardenhose. I grab a 5 gallon bucket of reverse osmosis water i have for my reef tank that was conveniently sitting in the garage and douse the now melting flaming plastic that used to be my distributor cap and wires.....FIRE OUT....I'm pissed.....

So head into the house cause at this point i need a friggin beer or something to calm my frazzled nerves....I, on a whim open the joystick box to see what the big deal is about this stick is. I pull it from the carton and discover.......its the WRONG DAMN STICK!!! it's the MS presision pro and not a sidewinder(ie not a twisty stick).

Now i am the proud owner of a MS flight stick and a slightly crispy mustang.....The things ya do for a squaddie

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 06:12:25 AM »
Precision Pro's are great sticks,Im still using one I bought in 2001.

And I still have one in the Box, if this one ever breaks.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 08:12:22 AM »
i miss my MSS3Dpro so much it makes me cry at night. got it in early '97 and it still works fine. only trouble is it run from a 10 pin jack not USB. stupid new computers....mumble....grumbl e...

got a cheapo stick for now.......

damn you saitek, DAMN YOU TO HELL!!! :mad:
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 08:24:29 AM »
You should've picked up a small ABC fire extinguisher while you were there.  Highly modified engines have a tendency to do inconvenient things.

Oh, and friends don't let friends fly with anything other than CH Products.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 08:40:15 AM by gofaster »

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »
Lol, I can see your squaddie now telling you (in keeping with a recent request from someone on another post).....  "just look at it this way.  Consider it realism.  You Went on a "mission" and you had a "random electrical failure"  heh.
   Just kidding, sorry bout your car..and bad luck with the joystick.  Did the box say it was a Sidewinder?

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 09:39:11 AM »
Mechanic you can get a gameport -> USB converter and still use the stick.

I bought my MS Precision Pro twisty stick in 2001. I've scored about 3000 aerial victories with it in WB2.x, WB3, AH1 and 2 and it still works like a charm with no spiking.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 10:35:20 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
Mechanic you can get a gameport -> USB converter and still use the stick.

I bought my MS Precision Pro twisty stick in 2001. I've scored about 3000 aerial victories with it in WB2.x, WB3, AH1 and 2 and it still works like a charm with no spiking.

Really?..I want one so I can hook up my 3d Pro now.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 11:48:11 AM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
Really?..I want one so I can hook up my 3d Pro now.

Yeah, I have an adaptor I picked up years ago. Turns the pin connection into a usb one, really nice. I picked mine up from a radio shack years ago. I'm sure if you seach around at computer places, you should be able to find one.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 12:13:17 PM »
I have a link to one you can buy online.  I'll have to post it when I get home, dont have it here on this comp at work.

You can also use a cheap soundcard with a gameport.  I killed my onboard sound and bought a SB Live! 5.1 card (has the gameport) so I could continue using my analog CH stuff.

Oh and Batfink, its a 15 pin connector, not a 10 pin.  10 pins is for bowling not computers.  :0)

Offline JB35

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 12:16:30 PM »
LOL  Just talked to a bud who lives in NY , who has 3 MSFFS2 sidewinders in box sitting in his closet never used , he bought a lifetime warranty at best buy  when he bought these and so i tell him mine has crapped out on me , No problem he says , just send me your and ill send you one of the ones I have new in box minus the box cause im going to take yours and go back to best buy and get me some instore credit , with the lifetime warranty  I have .

HEHE Im 1 happy camper :aok

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 04:12:09 PM »
you can put in new sound card, or get the gameport>USB converter box.
the converters i saw cost almost as much as a new joystick.

i got a new siatek cyborg evo, just like my old ms twisty stick only better, (more ergo) and it plugs into the front of my new puter.

Offline Scrap

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 04:24:05 PM »
Ouch.... (pictures the crispy Fox-body).  

Hey, you seen our squad forum yet bro?