Author Topic: Which is faster?  (Read 612 times)

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Which is faster?
« on: February 22, 2001, 05:53:00 AM »
An f4u or an fw190 in terms of acceleration? I havent had the time to do the "testing" of these two planes in this measurement.

Thnx -- senna

[This message has been edited by senna (edited 02-22-2001).]

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Which is faster?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2001, 06:33:00 AM »
With a previous version of AH I did climbrate(indicates acceleration) vs speed testing at 3000ft with 100% fuel, and the Fw 190A-5 was superior to the F4U-1D between about 120mph to 260mph, by up to 800fpm. Below 120mph and above 260mph, the F4U-1D was the better.

Of course, at altitudes where the F4U-1D's  best climbrate is alot closer to the Fw 190A-5, it will be much closer in acceleration too. Eg: between 10-15k they are practically equal in climbrate, therefore mid-speed acceleration will be about equal too, with the F4U-1D getting an even bigger advantage than before at the lower and higher speeds.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Which is faster?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2001, 07:15:00 AM »
The FW is one of the better accelerating planes in the game.  The F4U is one of the worst.  At least, that's my experience, though I have not done any testing.

That is in terms of level acceleration from low speed.  When you start doing 0G dives to high speed, the Hog is one of the best in that department.

------------------
Lephturn - Aces High Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome!

"Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know." - Michel Eyquem, seigneur de Montaigne. (1533–1592)

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Which is faster?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2001, 07:41:00 AM »
I'll take the Fw over the F4U in acceleration any day.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Which is faster?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2001, 07:55:00 AM »
The biggest problem with top speed acceleration is that accelerating to top speed going level at any alt has little to do with maximum attainable speed during a decending attack on a lower target.

IME the F4U series dives faster and is more manoeverable at near compression speeds than the 190 series.

Y

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 02-22-2001).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
Which is faster?
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2001, 08:14:00 AM »
Ok lets get out the Christmas tree and the stop watches. I love drag racing. There air several drag strips that were once runways. Start them out side by side on the runway.  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Which is faster?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2001, 08:17:00 AM »
BUT, Yeager, acceleration has everything to do with getting an opponent low and slow and then getting your E back quicker than he can. This can give you the chance to get over his head and kill him before he can return the favor.  

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Which is faster?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2001, 08:28:00 AM »
Absolutely K, in a close in vertical ZB fight the 190 will grab lots more air and overpower the struggling Hog (provided the Hog isnt loaded with 800 rnds of spraypray 20mm)

Also, the F4U can be caught in the low and level chase by a near 190 and conversely, the 190 can escape from the Corsair level and low, fair and square.

If the F4U has the altitude and good starting position for the attack it will quickly close on the 190 and be more manoeverable as well.  If the 190 has the altitude and good starting position for the attack the Corsair can still extend in the dive and get enough seperation to make closure problematic for the 190.

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

funked

Which is faster?
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2001, 08:28:00 AM »
Acceleration is all about excess thrust per kg of weight.  (Thrust-Drag)/Mass

A good measure of this (at low speeds) is rate of climb.  

From the charts or reading the VSI we can see that the Fw 190A-5 outclimbs F4U-1 at low speeds, therefore it will accelerate better in level flight at those speeds.

We can also see that the F4U has a higher top speed in general.  So obviously at the top speed of the Fw 190, the F4U has better acceleration.  And in general the plane with the higher top speed will have better acceleration near its top speed.

So in this case we have a mixture.  At low speeds Fw 190A-5 is superior in acceleration in level flight, but at high speeds F4U-1 is superior in acceleration in level flight.  

Some testing would be required to find the speed at which the F4U-1 becomes superior.  Using the SWAG technique I estimate this occurs at 250 mph for Fw 190
A-5 and F4U-1.

Fw 190A-8 climbs worse than Fw 190A-5 and is a little faster, so it will have a smaller acceleration advantage at low speeds, as well as a smaller accleration disadvantage at high speeds.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 02-22-2001).]

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Which is faster?
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2001, 08:56:00 AM »
I hope Pyro fixes the climb rate of the hog based on the NAVAIR charts for the F4U-1D/C I posted a while back. It shows the -1D climbing at approx 3400FPM intially and reaching 20K in 7.1minutes at combat power. This would put the F4U's climb and accleration on par with FW190A-5. An area where the AH hog lacks sorely.