Author Topic: Materials question  (Read 334 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Materials question
« on: February 26, 2005, 01:34:10 PM »
If using the AH materials - can the parameters be changed? or are we just supposed to find one of the 255 materials that works with what we are doing? It's kinda hard and time consuming looking through all those materials to find one.

Is there a base guide for what `AH materials are used for what objects?

I looked in some of the stock AH files AC3d files, and couldn't find references to some materials. Specifically the trees. the transparent material that the shadows are on isn't listed.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Materials question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 09:49:33 AM »
To expand further on this and the little issue of insanity that its causing me...

I opened up some of the stock ground tiles, HQ ground, ect... they had a "mat 19" listed...

So I go back to my model, merge in some materials from a stock file - assign mat 19 to it - bingo - it's transparent!

Also if I export and then directly import any of the trees 0 or trees 1 file... I loose all traqnsparency of the "xtc4.bmp" which is used for the shadows. Theres also no materials listed in the trees0 / trees 1 AC3d files when opened with notepad.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Materials question
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:38:13 PM »
Really getting on my nerves...lol

I exported "trees1"from AH object editor directly into ac3d. Went to surface editing in the 3d window to check to see what materials were being used... every suface was indexed to material 1.

I closed trees1 and reopened it notepad. Here I copied from the top the "Ac3db line and all of the Ah materials, then pasted those into a new notepad and named it materials.ac.

I opened my object im working on and then merged the materials.ac file. That gave me 255 materials to work with.
I assigned materials 36 and 48 to the object and saved it.

Converted in Obect editor and no materials on the object had changed. I went back into AC3d and went to surface editing mode and checked the material indexing on the surface.
Well they never saved the material that were assigned. I think it came up all materials indexed to 16.

Anyway - i'm loosing interest fast in this as it's becoming an exercise in futility where I don't know if it's me that's doing something wrong, something in Ac3d or something in the conversion.

in the Object editor read me there is specific mention of the "materials.ac" file. Was that file released, or is what I'm doing by copying the materials into a new file and naming it "materials.ac" aceeptable. Even though it doesn't want to hold the assigned materials.

Even if i copy the materials directly from the notepad version of "tress1" and paste those into my file text - Ac3d won't save them after it's been opened once. And it usally resets the materials I assigned back to what I presume to be a default ac3d material.

any ideas? all I need is a non shiny, no ambient, no emmisive transparent material for shadows...lol