Author Topic: A question about "hit sprites"  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
A question about "hit sprites"
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2001, 12:53:00 PM »
Well thaks for bursting my bubble ofhope that DSL wouldhelp.,  Perhaps it is only that I suck at this game and I can't blame the hardware!  :(

Anyway, given that you are from UK, it is still amazing that the game works so well for so many all over the planet!

Cya Up!
  :rolleyes:
  :eek:

Offline Guinn

• Zinc Member
      • http://work.sucks.lol
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2001, 05:19:00 AM »
Yeah im in the UK so theres that extra ocean for my packets of data to travel accross   ;)

Just remember ADSL will help the speed of your connection not others.  If a download site is slow, it will still be slow because your connection wont improve theirs and they can still only push out the information at their speed.  ADSL helps a big deal though and i highly recommend it. Its stable and the lag isnt anything you notice, its not as if the whole night will be a 'laggy' night like i used to get on my 56k.  All im saying is you will probably see 1 warp every now and then.

Even if you had a 1,000,000 Gig connection speed, it would still be slowed by the rest of the net   :)

Offline Vulchatwork

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.thenest.org.uk
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2001, 06:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guinnwork:
Just remember ADSL will help the speed of your connection not others...

It is my understanding that the ADSL connection only works from you to your ISP, after that you are at the mercy of whatever route your data takes.  Just because you have ADSL doesn't mean that your data travels high speed broadband from your house all the way to HT creations.....and back.

Thats how it has been explained to me anyway?

Vulch

Offline Guinn

• Zinc Member
      • http://work.sucks.lol
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
Yeah Vulture, thats exactly how it works.  But the speed of your ISP to the rest of the net is usually faster than ADSL well you'd hope it was  :)

ADSL is also not the greatest connection for playing games on the net, its asymetric, meaning 1 side is longer than the other, so its download speeds are great, but upload is medi-ocre.  I think  usually get about 256k upload, thats only 4x that of a normal modem.  I might be wrong about my connect speed, but i think its 256k upload.  Cable can probably handle gaming as much as dsl, but from what i hear its not too good during peak hours.

Anyway enough hijacking some poor guys thread  ;)

I am sure lag might have an affect on 'pings' on aircraft though.

Guinness

Offline dracken1

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
i was just browsing the boards when i read this one. i to have had this scenario with a 202 when i was in a spit5 i light up his fuselage from cockpit to tail.i broke off only to be pinged by the same 202 and my engine instantly went off the boil.i play aces high as a break from my usual graphic work i do on my pc so i dont know much about lag,packets ect.but i find it a little disturbing when urchin and mrfish get into a arguement over a video game. because as good as aces is,that is all it is a video game.and to come down to the threat of physical violence over something wish is'nt real is a bit sad.if you think aces high has probs imagine the probs real wartime p[ilots had.when a 30mm cannon shell went straight through them they were not up and flying again in 30 secs.so today you get shot to hell, tomorrow you down them like flies.lets get on with our favourite game, and with each other. it's just a shame whole countries can't settle their differences in ah.  ;) p.s. i not scared of you i am over 5000 miles away

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2001, 01:20:00 PM »
it's pretty short sighted to think our argument ever had anything to do with 'a video game'. look closely and you'll see the real reason. people don't fight over pixels they fight over ego fulfillment(on both sides - that's not a veiled jab). silly? pointless? unproductive? "disturbing"? most definitely. but video game related? - no. it's a community issue, nothing technology can address.

admitedly, it started with me getting sick of urchin's posts and instead of internalizing it or just ignoring it (the productive route),i made the mistake of posting which is really just emulating the very behavior i am accusing urchin of or possibly even taking it a step further.  

i don't know where you live draken, but where i live you had better not let anyone tell you to shut up. i've spent a lot of time around 'wanna be' neighborood dictators and bullies in my years and if you let them dog you once they will all the time.  

it is conditioned as a defense mechanism and pops up at the worst of times. it belongs in an alley not on a bbs full of harmless computer geeks.  :D i should be beyond that by now, granted. it's more of a reflex at this point and way unnecessary for the situation i was presented with. it's just my experience that it is better to face all your detractors and people who appear to be trying to place you in some ridiculous pecking order and risk taking your knocks rather than let someone try to disrespect you. i have plenty of scars and healed bones to remind me of the risks but i sleep like a baby knowing i'm no one's lackey and can ht the street every day owned by no one.

i hope that makes sense but it's not offered as an excuse just an explanation and as a case study in overreaction for all the sigmud freud fans out there  ;) .

i'll take the blame for my part and offer my humble and sincere apologies to the AH community if for nothing else than creating a downer situation.

pompous people (or people i perceive as pompous in case i am mistaken) set me off like no other event. ego fixation accounts for a lot of the world's ills imo and i see it in every bush sometimes because i might be looking for it a bit too hard. i think losing graciously is a quality of strength and something i have had to work at (and i mean hard my brothers...) personally and still fail at often.

99% of the time if i taunt someone like i did urchin, it is intended to spur introspection and my hopes are that the person will see they are being silly. that type of taunting produces that effect in me but it is a false assumption to think it will in everyone. it sounds mean and probably is but as a mitigation the bad intent isnt there.

it's not my place though really is it? (no need to answer - that's a rhetorical question btw for those of you reaching to quote and slam me) -  i will leave it to fate to decide from now on and if the person is off base, karma will kick in anyway and if they are right after all then time will tell that too ...

now....i do find it hypocritical in a way that so many of you are so disdained by our disagreement and behaviors and condemn it as being unfit for further discussion yet you continue the affair by voicing your opinions and condemnations. in a way your are extending this whole stupid affair.

can't you see urchin and i have let it go?! maybe you all should do the same and go kill stuff. i can't speak for urchin but i hear your objections loud and clear.

besides.... if you need get it off your chest with me, i am not hard to find if you look for the lowest, slowest 109 in the ma - the one with the wing missing, the engine throwing 2 types of smoke, no aileron and the 6 cons on his ass.  <S>  :)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2001, 07:54:00 PM »
oops! double post

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: mrfish ]

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2001, 10:31:00 PM »
can't you see urchin and i have let it go?! maybe you all should do the same and go kill stuff. i can't speak for urchin but i hear your objections loud and clear.

Absolutely, I let it go pretty much 5 minutes after it happened  :).  

I would like to apoligize to Mr. Fish for my unwarranted comments.  I crossed the line on that, and for that I apoligize.  

I'd also like to apoligize to the AH community for my part in this- it would be foolish to blame Fish for everything, it takes two to argue as well  :).  

Fish spoke truly when he said we weren't really arguing about the game- at least on my part.  My ego got a little overinflated, and I said some things that I should not have said.  

Fish- you did cause some introspection on my part.  Hopefully I will remember the lesson before I make an bellybutton out of myself the next time.

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
Ahhhhh, is this harmony nice!

NOW, LETS ALL GO KILL STUFF!!!!!!

Good on both of ya!

Oh and uh, Mr. Fish, if you will look below you, through the two kinds of smoke and parts, the wreck upon which your wreck is crashing will usually be me.

Cya UP!
  :eek: Eeek, Mr Fish is falling on me!
  :rolleyes: Who shot him down?

Offline Tozza

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »
Just been reading this thread and Fell I must comment on the apparent mental instability of mrfish (I am a psychiatrist).
If he is indeed sending urchin private messages giving out his address in the hope of a confrontation then all I can say is,send your address to me and I shall come round during the night and stab you then eat your liver(not a PRACTICING psychiatrist)

Im going back to the dark place now.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2001, 10:46:00 PM »
sorry tozza - i recently sold my liver to david crosby. i've been told i have a nice pancreas though.

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »
:D
LOL, that's the kind of humor one wants to see!
By the way, how much does a pancreas go for these days?

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: Syzygy ]

Offline geistx

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingwhirlpoolofsuck.org
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tozza:
send your address to me and I shall come round during the night and stab you then eat your liver(not a PRACTICING psychiatrist)

Im going back to the dark place now.

With fava beans and a nice Chianti?
  :cool:

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: GeistX ]