Author Topic: Training area up?  (Read 471 times)

Offline artoo

• Zinc Member
Training area up?
« on: February 14, 2000, 03:15:00 PM »
Now that we have a training area, what's the story on it?  

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Training area up?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2000, 03:20:00 PM »
It's up, it rocks.  

It's the same as the main arena, except killshooter is off, it it doesn't cout towards your score.

IE, everybody goes to F1 as Rook and just trains, free-for-alls, or whatever.  Was in earlier a bit with Bee, Saint, and a couple others.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
Training area up?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2000, 09:09:00 PM »
They got a list of trainers somewhere?  

------------------
O.E. 'Tern' Dillon
"Live to Fly!  Fly to Fight!  Fight to Live!"

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Training area up?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2000, 09:37:00 PM »
Yeah, was in, and it was a nice break from the MA chaos!

Salute to 6gun, AKWabbit, Rosco, ArkanReb, and Sally for a good time.  

RedStar

Training area up?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2000, 09:52:00 PM »
That is a good question. My email server is down and I was wondering when the Instructor List is comming out?

RedStar
The Wrecking Crew

Originally posted by Tern:
They got a list of trainers somewhere?    

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Training area up?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2000, 01:08:00 AM »
OK guys, it's our job now to make sure this does not turn into a second Main Arena...

Someone please teach me how to escape/survive those higher cons...

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
BISHOP'S FINEST FLYING BRICK
Dweebs from Belgium

DCO 186th Wardogs (Falcon4 Squad)
 http://www.wardogs.org/
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 02-15-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Training area up?
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2000, 07:39:00 AM »
Saintaw-

It wasn't like that when I was in. HiTech was busy rap... helping RAM, AKWabbit and I did a couple turns, Rosco and I compared 109's, 6gun gave us a Spit vs. 109 lesson, then Rosco and I were helping Sally with his F4U. I think we all got something out of it, and it was nice to have a quiet place to try stuff out, or to help a newbie.

...and no one tried to sneak a C47 in under us while we were training.  

RedStar

Training area up?
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2000, 10:39:00 AM »
Saw

Hey I can help you out if you would like. If you see me in the arena just ask will be glad to help.  
Originally posted by Saintaw:
OK guys, it's our job now to make sure this does not turn into a second Main Arena...

Someone please teach me how to escape/survive those higher cons...

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Training area up?
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2000, 12:49:00 PM »
About your question of surviving higher cons...

First, if you see a higher dot ahead that is likely a bad guy, go the other way.  Go find a co-alt or lower contact to engage, or back off and climb so you can engage this bogey on more favorable terms.  Failing this, point your plane nose-low toward the nearest friendly area and bug out.  Now, if you have gotten surprised or you just want to die, what do you do next?

Basic rule of thumb in this situation is to go down.  Not straight down, but some sort of oblique Split-S is likely the best move.  Of course this works best in a good diving airplane with good high-speed control.  However, even if I was flying a 109, I'd make whatever dodge or move I made a nose-low one, and usually a Split-S of some sort if a higher bogey is diving on me.  A Split-S under his nose will make him have to increase speed and pull negative G's to get you, and if he does he will end the manuever lower than you do.  If he tries to follow he will be much faster, so his pull-out will end with him much lower, even though he will still be fast and likely have more E.  Still, at this point you are climbing again, and he must pull G's and burn a bit of E trying to reverse his direction to climb and go back up, thus decreasing his E advantage.  The smart attacker will not follow this move, but will simply zoom back up and set up for the next pass.  However, you have managed to survive the attack and buy yourself some time to escape or climb depending on your plane type and his.

Likely the toughest situation is when a smart attacker dives from just straight above you, or very high six.  In this case if he has managed his speed well, going down may make things too easy for him, so you will need to use some sort of break turn to foil his attack run.  No matter what angle he attacks from try to use a move that takes you under his nose that will force him to increase his dive angle to make the shot.

Assuming you successfully avoid that pass, you should be getting the hell out of there!  Unless the enemy has done something really silly and blown his E advantage, you are in a dis-advantaged situation and the best thing you can do is escape.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 02-15-2000).]

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
Training area up?
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2000, 04:43:00 PM »
Saw,

Lepth has explained it pretty well, but here's a couple of my tactics in that situation:

1. Provided he's seen you, diving for a shot and you feel game  .  If you're heading towards him, keep nose level until you're almost under him.  Once at this point pull up slowing to meet him under his nose as if in a co-alt merge.  You've got to keep your speed high enough so he doesn't get a snapshot on you though.  After the merge, he's way down low and you're way over him.  He may still have a lot of speed to come back up at you but you've essentially levelled the playing field.  Not all, but most fall for this trick coz of the HO syndrome!  

2. Again this is to level the playing field.  If you read my post to Hristo in this forum a while ago, don't bother reading further  ..
You want to turn away from the high bogey and draw him into diving at you.  Turn WEP on and watch the guy until he's about level with you and about 5k or so back.  If anything less than this, you'll want to let him get a bit closer and split-s for a safe escape.
At d5K nose down slightly and turn back towards the bogey for a nose to nose merge.  Provided you don't do a HO shootout with the guy, do an easy immelmann after the merge.  From that point it's up to you!  

You'll die a bit trying to fight higher cons but keep trying coz once you master it, it's way cool when you kill 'em  . The safest way out though is to split-s, but by doing so, you've wasted all your time getting to alt.

Have fun..

Ex.
PS: I love taking on high cons in my Hog...