Author Topic: talent gap  (Read 1482 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
talent gap
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2005, 12:00:17 PM »
Jaxxo, next time you see me online lets go DA just for fun.

we could both learn something from killing eachother no doubt.

more fun than horde invaders in MA.

Also, check out http://www.furnallunderground.com for your old style fighting fix. we all suck and die repeatedly for fun here.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
talent gap
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2005, 12:01:11 PM »
Here's another reason to fly the P-38:

Acceleration, medium altitude - 20,000 feet. Adjust speed until steady at 200 mph, apply full available power. Time required to accelerate to 300 mph.

Time is seconds:

P-38J/L: 27.47
F4U-4: 28.59
SpitXIV: 28.90
109G-10: 29.28
190D-9: 30.78
P-47D-40: 31.42
109G-6: 32.35
P-51D: 34.01
SpitIX: 34.41
P-38G: 38.78
Tempest: 39.63
La-7: 40.10
Ki-84: 41.97

This is quite a turn around from the acceleration performance at sea level. At 20,000 feet the P-38J/L simply leaves every other prop fighter in the game in its exhaust fumes. Even the big Jug is beginning to show its higher altitude strength. We can also see how balanced the F4U-4 is. It's acceleration time from 200 mph to 300 mph at 20,000 feet is the same as its time at sea level (actually .01 seconds difference). This only reinforces my opinion that the F4U-4 is the game's best fighter. At 20k, the SpitXIV, 109G-10 and Dora show their potency. All have excellent performance at this altitude.

We see the P-51D and SpitIX close together, trailing the 109G-6.

The low level monsters did poorly. Of these, the Tempest accelerates best, followed by the La-7 and the Ki-84 bringing up the rear. If you take either of these up this high, virtually every other fighter tested here has the performance to eat you up. Even the P-38G accelerates and climbs better at 20k than these fighters.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
talent gap
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2005, 02:18:14 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster

The P-38 requires a bit more thought.  It takes some skill in working trim tabs to break out of compression.

No it doesn't.  If you've entered compressability in the P-38, you've seriously screwed up.  It is very easy to avoid entering into compressability, in fact it is far easier to avoid than to enter into such a state.  And for the high buffeting (sp?)  you reach at lower altitudes due to speed is again quite easy to control without needing to "trim up" and the experienced P-38 pilots can ride the edge of the "buffet" and maintain positive control as their planes reach the 475-500mph IAS mark.

Key to avoiding compressability in the P-38:
1) Do not start dives above 20,000ft.
2) Use throttle to maintain speed in dive
3) If you start to get a little too fast, use some rudder to create drag and slow you down.  Rudders are your friend in a dive, use them.

Just follow those three very basic steps and kiss compressability goodbye.  Steps #2 and #3 can be used to ride the edge of the high speed buffet at lower altitudes when your plane starts to buffet from the high speed dive.  

Notice that there is a difference between high speed buffets and compressability.  If you plan on flying the P-38, it's a must to know the difference between these two different aerodynamic phenomena.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
talent gap
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2005, 02:51:39 PM »
back to the original thread....:D

I look at learning as a series of plateau's. You learn something and get up and fly and do ok. Then you reach a point where you kinda stop. You've just reached a plateau. It's no big deal. You just need a nudge over it and you will go again until you reach another plateau. This will continue as long as you fly here.

A good teacher will teach you a bit then let you go until you find that plateau. Then help you over it and on to the next one. The reason you want to follow this course of action is you can get too much information. That overload will cause you to lock up and not progress.

Sure we all want to get good, right this second. I wish you could too. But take yer time and learn it once and learn it right and you will enjoy the game alot more.

Ren

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
talent gap
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2005, 03:36:31 PM »
jaxxo, you're still better than most!:aok
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
talent gap
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2005, 03:52:56 PM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
jaxxo, you're still better than most!:aok

Yeah... no kidding...  A squaddie and I were going at him 2v1 for a good 5+ minutes and couldn't so much as land a ping on his zeke!
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
talent gap
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2005, 03:54:50 PM »
I wish my gap had talent....

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
talent gap
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2005, 04:12:24 PM »
Yea Vudak, same thing happened to me, only we was in spits dogfighting his La7 lol. He still got me!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
talent gap
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2005, 07:08:33 PM »
hehe..me likey the zekey :) that was a fun in that zeke,  hard to land a good shot though.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
talent gap
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2005, 12:57:07 AM »
jaxxo, from my short time here I find that going to DA with someone of about equal skill level really helps. It makes you push yourself really hard each round but at the same time you ain't getting slaughtered every round. I'm not sure how I stack up against ya, but if ya want to, I'll give it a whirl:D
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
talent gap
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2005, 02:36:21 AM »
Jaxxo, when you want to move to DA to duel 2 or 3 other pilots, tell me. I am not that great but i have some chance at killing you in 2 or 3 on one.

1 on 1 duels are fun, but do not always represent the problems in ma.

About the skill level, yes its true. A lot of people will shoot me down in a 1 on 1. When outnumberd i die pretty fast if i dont run. But when it is a 2 on one or 2 on 2 i can hold out pretty good. What i want to say is, it might be that a lot of pilots cant hold their own in one on one against you, but if they are smart they wing up with someone else and try to fight 2 on 1 or better 2 on 2.

So maybe not only top of the line 1 on 1 training, but also some training against 2 enemys is a good idea.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
talent gap
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2005, 05:26:46 AM »
Schutts hit some nail on the head. 1vs1 in DA doesnt represent MA at all.

Sure it helps to get acm and single dogfights (rare in MA) down better, but my experience is: MA usually means 2 vs 2 at least, ive been outnumbered half the fights last tour.

It might be good to practice team vs team furball or FFA as well. maybe even outnumbered.

If you need volunteers for DA, im game anytime im online. Just holler.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline WMsharp

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.airbahamas.net/wm/widow-makers.htm
To Jaxxo
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2005, 07:52:28 AM »
Jaxxo ask to fly with Yucca in DA.

He is probably one of the most helpful and willing individuals
in here and you will definately get lots outta it.

As shane said you probably just need to hone the skills that you have developed and that is a matter of fine tunin you and ur machine.

Shane also a good pick to fly with but he too fat to ride tandem with :-P !

I have been playin for a year now and have learned so much from
joinin airplanes, experimentin', advice, and hands on! Take films of your deaths and victories for times when you are bored and review them. Also while flyin' its good to have your attack plan, counterstrike, and initial maneauver planned before any merge.

Have a game plan and stick to it!

I can make a 3-1 turn into a 1-0 simply by making all 3 auger. I have won many 2-1 battles this way and several 3-1 battles. This usually happens when they attackin' from high and fast but not always. Know your airpane MINIMUM celing to SPLIT-S and that can work wonders for u. Learn MINIMUM ceiling for a particular airplane for split-s idle power  and split-s max power.

Set a fixed distance for each airplne as min firing distance and dont fire until within that.

Watch how some players evade ur attack and how they maneauver to evade and practice EXACTLY that. Learn from your opponenets and the fights you get in. You can learn lots from how your nme flies (if he good).

WMsharp

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
talent gap
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2005, 08:00:17 AM »
Motivation + Aptitude = Success.  

Gotta have both.  

Imbalance in either = Parachute.  

And there is simply the law of averages.  Compete in anything long enough and eventually comes loss.  

Best way to improve is keep an open mind and figure out what your opponent is doing to you.  Everything has a countermeasure.

I learn the most from first just wringing out a ride on my own, finding all the nuances.  Then go one on one with a better pilot, talking to each other throughout the fight and not shooting.  Just working through moves and countermoves.  

After the moves are better understood, then practice the shots from various angles and ranges.  

Then air to ground with various loads.  Then mission management including optimum profile, fuel, and armament.  

Best thing here is we can afford to take chances over and over again.  In real life, some things are indeed life and death and cannot be totally simulated.

Remember too that the only fight that truly means anything is the next one.  Learn from the past and live for the next adventure.  You just might knock off the reigning ace.  

Prosper and enjoy in the safe world of cyber!
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
talent gap
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2005, 08:19:17 AM »
Having good SA and knowing E-management are the two most important aspects of MA air combat. Be aggressive, but always look for a way out if need be.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."