Author Topic: The basics  (Read 440 times)

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
The basics
« on: February 28, 2000, 01:01:00 PM »
I'm having fun practicing offline (I'm not going to sign up while changing jobs) but I'd appreciate some advice on the basics - taking off and landing. I'm using a Saitek X36 USB stick which doesn't help.

Anyway, with taking off in the larger aircraft, I'm having great difficulty getting airborne before the end of the runway - so I just run them off the edge of the mountain.

When landing, I'm having difficulty judging my flightslope and rate of descent.

All advice welcome.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The basics
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2000, 01:43:00 PM »
Use one notch of flap right before you get to the end of the RW when taking off on big bombers, then retract the notch of flap and gear up when you are airborne... begin with low fuel, to get used to the feel of it.

Glide slope, use 1 or 2 notches of flap, keep  RPM's up, but speed down, control your speed with rudder input if you need to.  I find myself sometimes "too high" in approach, kciking the rudder over helps you descend to the proper alt./glide slope, too much rudder and you're buying beers for the living members of your crew!

If you have any further questions, you can pretty much contact me anytime on-line via email between 5:00amPST-4:00pm PST  at :
ripsnort@earthlink.net
brian.g.nelson@boeing.com

I don't know much about your set-up, but can help you with CH Products or AH questions.

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Rip1~Warbirds~)
JG2 "Richthofen"

"Opfer mussen gebracht werden"
— Otto Lilienthal

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-28-2000).]

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
The basics
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2000, 01:57:00 PM »
qts,

I fly the x36 combo...I'm a lefty who had to switch to righty to use a HOTAS for AH. The only problem I see with the x36 is the rudder setup, which does suck. Are you using the combo...If your gonna fly fighters at all I'd work on a couple things off line.

1) coordinating rudder with turning
2) flaps on hi yoyo's and loops
3) hammerhead reversals
4) gunnery passes at control tower, if you can roll in and shoot window out from various angles it will help a lot with your snap shots later

as for landing... I line up on runway and chop throttle till 200 or so..once im 2000 or so and lined up I start "crabbing"..once you get hang you crab it down to 120 or so drop gear and flaps and vary rudder and aieleon to maintain 100-120 till your on threshhold then release and drop her on runway

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson