Author Topic: How to deal with equal speed planes?  (Read 376 times)

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
How to deal with equal speed planes?
« on: June 19, 2000, 10:15:00 AM »
Hello there,
Now I'm trying to fly the P-51, the tactic that I'm using when Im mot  in a good situation like a higher enemy ready to bounce on me is to get horizontal separation run like hell them when I see that the distance betwen me and the bugy start to increase about D1.5K I reverse and generally I have a better E, ok this is when a lower speed plane bounces on me, (is this a valid strategy?), ok but when an equal speed plane like other p51 bounces on me I cant make this strategy I allways get killed, so what should I do? some advice please?

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2000, 04:07:00 PM »
Terra,

Reversing at 1.5 aint enuf room to even get halfway reversed. Its enuf to get your bellybutton shot, espc if its a stang following you. I would look at things to try and avoid having him there in the 1st place. If he's higher than you and on your 6 its only a matter of time until he's in gun range. Make him work for his kill, and hope that he slips up.
I'd wait till at least D3.0 untill i try and reverse.
If you cant get to that distance and he aint gaining then head for something friendly: fellow pilot, your wingman, ack (get called all sorts for this   ) at this point your looking for anything to get him off ya 6.

Just remember to try scrub away at his E advantage and try your best to conserve what you have. Stay fast, and always know where help is.

There are alot of masters in the stang that may some other tricks in their books, but the odds are against ya in that situation.

Spat.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2000, 05:57:00 PM »
Spatula said it all...reversing at 1.5 is a losing bet under most circumstances...i know cause I do it to much  .

Now if you have to...i use 2-3 different options...the one thing I never do is go vertical.

1) Climb a bit...not much...and low yoyo, i like 1/2 a horizontal cuban 8 or such...if I can get con to look for shot instead of hi rev...sometimes you get seperation you need.

2) Dive to deck and hi yoyo on oblique, with luck you may sneak by...lot of luck

3) Dive to deck and hi yoyo as above...but chop on way up...and split-s back the way you came...if you judge it right you can "scrape" the con off...or make him auger ...again these are not recommended...just my way's of dealing with an ugly situation...as spatula said...best thing is dont let em back there .

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2000, 09:31:00 AM »
hey humble tahnk's I will try this 3rth option I like it, and spatula Im try to reverse at 1.2 k with no problem (well not yet) but I think you are rigth maybe just was another newbie like me that tries to follow me but a more experienced pilot you must have to get more room to turn
thanks
see ya