Author Topic: Tanks can shoot through hedges  (Read 319 times)

Offline Janov

• Zinc Member
Tanks can shoot through hedges
« on: March 10, 2005, 09:19:47 AM »
Today I got killed by a veteran player while clearly out of his line of sight and fire .  
I was hiding behind a hedge. The hedge is that flat row-of-tree looking thing, that will not let you go through it, and it also usually blocks shots. At least I get a hitsprite when trying to shoot through it.
I asked said player how he got me, but he didnt answer.
So maybe there is a bug  involved here. Maybe ground foliage is not drawn in the same place for all front-ends?

Litjan

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 11:33:59 AM »
They used to stop hits indeed, but frankly, I think they should let them go trough

Offline SCDR

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 01:40:22 PM »
If you were close to the hedge, they can see your treads and shoot that.  There are gaps in those hedges also.
Oh and if you think the red barn will protect you from bombs, think again. Sorry it's one of the many things you have to live with, if you drive a gv. After all, like it's been pointed out to me many times, this is ACES HIGH.:D

SCDR

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 02:01:26 PM »
There's different kinds of foliage out there.  Trees, even short ones (if you can see a tree trunk then its going to be solid.  Cant shoot it and cant drive through it) absorb shots and bounce your tank.  The low bushes are just for show and might visually hide something but dont impede access.  Maybe the hit sprites you saw were actually hitting the ground just beyond the shrubs?

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 08:17:48 PM »
I don't think he means the low shrubbery that you can drive and fly through- I think he means the low lines of smaller trees (I also call them hedgerows) with trunks, two dimensional, and cannot be driven or fired through. You can, as SCDR pointed out, shoot tanks on the lower edges of the hulls and tracks when they're extremely close, effectively shooting through the gap in the trunks, not through the foliage itself. I just figured this out the other day.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 01:59:16 PM »
Haven't tried this out due to a dead joystick, but maybe you can nudge up parallel to the bush, turn your turret towards it, and have the gun stick out the other side? I don't think the shots originate from the inside of the gun in AH, I think they "appear to the game" from the tip of the gun.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 02:32:16 PM »
I've gottn shot through the short trees with trunks , I cound'nt not see the tank through the trees that was shooting me,  not sure how he saw me,  but his rounds saw me and kill my butt,   I could see the rounds comming through the trees  where there was no gaps.  I tried that and my rounds show sprites on my side.

I think the rounds should be able to punch a hole in the foilage first,  then you could fire though that area.  Is there a "hit box" around the trees?  What I mean is, is the area surrounding the tree the exact same size as the tree as we see it in our scope? or when aiming, do you need to add some extra inches to miss the tree?   I think i just confused myself.  :(   you get what i mean im sure.  hehe

I've also seen times when the bushes hid the whole GV?  how is that?  several of us In planes looking for this tank and some how the bushes hid  the Icon, tank, no vis at all til he moved?  and these were the drive through shrubs one little row of them?  hummm