Author Topic: New video card and whaaaa???  (Read 422 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
New video card and whaaaa???
« on: March 02, 2005, 10:10:19 PM »
Just switched my laptops card from ATI 9600/9700 mobile to Nvidia GeForce Go5700 128mb, and I'm puzzled sonce the card is supposed to be somewhat faster. With my previous card, the tower frame rate was close to the same as what I'd get flying (20s to 30s), with some drop at understandable times.

Now when I start up in tower, I'll see FR's in the 60s -- but shortly after taking off they drop into the twenties or even lower. They'll then stay that low until I relog, when they'll start in the 60s again. Sometimes offline they'll stay in the 50s for about a minute, but by the time I'm shooting at drones they droop down for good. AH Settings are the same for both cards.

I am not seeing memory leak, just frame rate drops. I have transitions off, preload textures, skins off, horizon on, view distance 3mi, and onject sliders all the way to performance. Hardware acceleration is set to full in XP Pro.

Dxdiag shows no problems, and I have DX 9.0c. The Nvidia drivers are the most current.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:09:30 AM »
Is vsync on?

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 04:57:05 PM »
Try setting the view distance slider halfway so it doesn't draw the textures far out.
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline iceone

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 09:14:40 PM »
From what I can tell (ie. dont trust this), nVidia has better compatability with OpenGL and ATI has compatability only with Direct3D. It seems AH runs on Direct3D, and since ATI cards work better with D3D that might explain it.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 11:37:29 PM »
Not really.  The Nvidia FX5xxx series cards do take somewhat of a performance hit in DX 9 apps (like AHII) versus the ATI 9xxx cards.  That has totally changed with the new generation of cards out now (the ATI x800s - x300s and the Nvidia 6200 - 6800).  Things are pretty much equal now, its coming down to a matter of who has the better drivers for the newest apps.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 12:48:56 PM »
Aces High makes the best of a video card. If your card is a lump of turds, quality will be turned down to make it run faster (this ISN'T an ingame option you can fix, the game just does it). It also works opposite. Get a beefey card and the game will use higher detail.

I read that from someone else who said Skuzz said it.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
Aces High makes the best of a video card. If your card is a lump of turds, quality will be turned down to make it run faster (this ISN'T an ingame option you can fix, the game just does it). It also works opposite. Get a beefey card and the game will use higher detail.

I read that from someone else who said Skuzz said it.

Finally.....someone posts using terms I can understand! :lol

Zaphod

Offline iceone

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 08:45:28 PM »
Makes sense... ive seen things scale down when a background app decides to steal some cpu (sneaky lil bastages, they are)