Author Topic: Tank question  (Read 861 times)

Offline Finrod

• Nickel Member
Tank question
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2005, 07:14:16 AM »
You're thinking too hard about this. The Commander has a large joystick like handle slightly down and to the right. Its easily accessable from either a standing or sitting position. But sitting is better because then you can use the sighting system without having to shoot using the force. Using the force is something we try to discourage nowadays.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Tank question
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2005, 11:19:33 AM »
we used to call using the force   "burst on target". Sure it was a less effective mechanism than using the sights but hey.. it was hella fun

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
Tank question
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2005, 11:36:47 AM »
Here is a picture of the TCs position if it helps any.

Offline Finrod

• Nickel Member
Tank question
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2005, 11:58:55 AM »
Originally posted by rabbidrabbit
we used to call using the force   "burst on target". Sure it was a less effective mechanism than using the sights but hey.. it was hella fun

Used to do it with the free mounted 50s on the 113s too. :D

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Tank question
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2005, 04:18:53 PM »
Originally posted by Finrod
My day simply would not be complete without at least one Norwegian drive-by Nilsen.

I'm working a staff job til retirement in October, but my fondest memories will always be of my time in the 2nd ACR. I suspect you were 11th Monk? :)

1st SQDN 2nd ACR here.... was at Bindlach from '86 to 89.

1/2 ACR

Tojours Pret

:aok

Offline hawker238

• Silver Member
Tank question
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2005, 04:56:12 PM »
Originally posted by Finrod
Using the force is something we try to discourage nowadays.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
Tank question
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2005, 01:55:59 PM »
The Fort Knox Patton Museum emailed me today

Here is the email

"Mr. *****,

According to our Abrams System Manager's office, the answer to your question is:

On an M1A2 and M1A2 SEP the tank commander must open the hatch and expose himself to fire the .50 cal that is in the tank commander's position.

Some units have procured the M4 mount which enables the .50 cal to be moved from the TCs position to over the main gun and then it can be fired electrically.

I hope this helps.

Connie Shaffery
Fort Knox Public Affairs Office "

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Tank question
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2005, 09:50:05 PM »
Suntracker,

FWIW in the M60 the TC could fire the .50 from inside or outside the tank. The controls were close to the middle of the cupola.  The controls were a couple of cranks one of which had a button. That was the triger. One crank was for elevation, the other for traverse.

From the inside you had the optical site looking through the TC's periscope. If you fired from the exposed position you still used the same controls but looked over the gun to site it in. Frankly it was spray and pray for first burst hits. You had to estimate the elevation while above the barrel. If you were close to on target you could lay a burst quickly by adjusting. You didn't want to spray a lot as ammo was limited to one box and you had to expose yourself to reload. It wasn't particularly easy either.

Cocking the gun was done with a chain as there was no charging handle on this weapon due to lack of room in the cupola. A second chain was provided to fire manually if the electric trigger failed. There was no butterfly on the gun, just a back plate with a solenoid.

The advantage to being out of the turret was that you had better view of the area. The vision blocks just never gave the same view and restricted vision. It was a bit cramped as well.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown