Author Topic: North African Campaign  (Read 473 times)

Offline Heretic

• Nickel Member
North African Campaign
« on: March 13, 2005, 05:54:35 AM »
Folks,

My grandfather fought in this front.    He was in a tank destroyer outfit.      Gramps had three halftracks shot out from underneath him.     He also came back home with shrapnel in  his hands and back and carried that metal to the grave with him.     He was one heck of a guy.

How difficult would it be to have a front like this?     Would this be a TOD only event or a special event like what goes on now.

Maybe just a map that is similar to the type of terrain thats is found in that theater.    

We could have Italian aircraft C202-C205, German aircarft that fought in that front.    British Spits I, V     and whatever else that was associated with that front.  

Forgive me for not being as eloquent as Kwessa is with his well thought out ideas.   I was just thinking it would be very neat to have a map like this.

The GV buffs would love this. obviously only German GV's would be used except for American M3's and maybe M16's?
The guys who complain about the late war set of AC would really love this because you are flying with early war AC.  I think it would level the playing field with the early war set AC.

Just think, only certain types of planes and GV's would be used.  

Just an idea.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
North African Campaign
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 06:00:02 AM »
I'm next to positive this is the setup they're using in the CT at the moment...
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
North African Campaign
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 08:32:49 AM »
The very first scenerio put on by the CM team was Afrikakorps (shortly after gv's were introduced).  The typhoon substituted for the beaufighter I believe ;)  Certainly more flexible now... P40!!! ;)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
North African Campaign
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 10:32:55 AM »
Yep, All of the Special Events (Scenarios, Squad Ops, Snapshots, and CAP) Run North African Setups.

Keep an eye on: http://events.hitechcreations.com/menu.htm

as well as http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/calendar.php

And of course, check the Special Events BBs.

CAP is currently awaiting new Maps, but when we get that going again we run Med-N. Africa frames once in a while.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline GREENTENERAL

• Copper Member
North African Campaign
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 01:04:19 AM »
Wow! My grandfather was also in the North Africa campaign.  He was a halftrack gunner and came home full of shrapnel.  He was also 80% deaf and had some bad burns on his arms and chest.  I wonder if our grandpas were in the same outfit.  Mine died a couple years ago to heart failure.  I'm not shure what group he was in, but I'll try to look it up somehow.  His name was Harold Almendinger and I'm shure there are not too many of those.

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
North African Campaign
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 01:27:42 AM »
we used to have a NA map in the CT in AH1 wish someone would remake it :(

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
North African Campaign
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 06:37:34 AM »
The first NA map on the way is Tunisia:

I believe that almost all of the northern coast of Africa will be included in the new Maps that the Terrain guys are working on. They are really spooling things up now that they have the new TE editor.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
North African Campaign
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 09:56:24 AM »
My house is in the up right corner of the 19.17.1 subsector.

:)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
North African Campaign
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 10:46:35 AM »
I hope you meant 9.17.3 Naso, as 9.17.1 is in the water lol.

Btw, the current map in the CT is the Tunisia map, its been in place all week and is alot of fun with the P40 vs 202/205.  Not so great for GV's though with all the space in between bases.  Map rotates on Fridays.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 10:49:18 AM by StarOfAfrica2 »

Offline Heretic

• Nickel Member
North African Campaign
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 08:37:21 PM »
Green,

I have a WWII magazine that features tank destroyer units in north Africa.  I will look it up and see what units were listed.

Grandpa died back in 2003 at the ripe ole age of 84.    He would tell me so many stories about his days there.    If you see me in the MA give me a shout.      I fly for the Bishops.    I would like to chat with ya sometime.