Author Topic: Silent Hunter III Review  (Read 16651 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2005, 06:41:18 AM »
Your sonar guy must've pinged something else around in the storm.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2005, 07:01:08 AM »
There IS something wrong with the spotting, while in storm, my bridge crew will not spot a ship I can clearly see myself. Sometimes the sonarman will report a contact I cannot hear for myself, and sometimes it will not detect it at all.  And it often happens as well when waves of planes ar attacking, the crew will sometimes fire at them, sometimes not. My sonar & bridge crew "functionality" bar is full and they are not or resonably tired.

I'm in 41 and the best option already is to dive to PD when planes are spotted...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2005, 07:42:07 AM »
In real live the larger U-Boats like the type IX were more vunerable to depth charges than the smaller type VII. In fact some of the really small one man boats were practically immune to them.

Thus if you look at the survivability of the different boats the smaller ones had the advantage. The Milk cows were all creamed as they were large and un manoverable.

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2005, 08:07:50 AM »
Originally posted by Gixer
I don't understand this constant complaint about Hydrophone Operators. Maybe you should look at how your operating the boat as captain before blaming bugs and AI.

...-Gixer

oh come on gixer, give me more credit then that

one contact, a lone c3, and as i passed by him clicking 'report nearest contact' changed the bearing as well following him.

ive seen a remarkable improvement since i trained a warrent officer for the sonar suite, but they're still morons. i'd toss an officer in there if i could for sure to straighten em out.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2005, 08:08:48 AM »
btw where does the 2nd flotilla operate out of and with what boats? ive been thinking of transferring from the 1st in brest
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #245 on: March 29, 2005, 08:38:36 AM »
Had my first "really cool moment" with SHIII today.
4th patrol, first with a type VII, to the Scapa Flow sector.
Had just sunk a merchant, and was at periscope depth, 1/3 ahead, listening to another one that sounded pretty faint when someone reports that we've been detected.
Detected?
Being at the wheel already, I turn it around, and exactly at bearing 180 I can hear something a lot louder than my own engines.
I order rudder full left, and depth 25, lets just get out of their way.
It was about time....  I love to watch the sub dive and turn from the outside view, so I set the camera, just in time to watch the keel of a DD pass just 1 m. over the sub!
I got away, but I better don't need the flak gun, because it must be hanging from "HMS Blind" :lol

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2005, 09:27:56 AM »
2nd Flotillia operates from Lorient (West coast of Fance on the Atlantic), at least it does in 1940/41. You'll want to edit you land-proximity-time-compression settings though, or you'll be going out manualy.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2005, 09:48:00 AM »
2nd Flotilla is in the beginning the first one to operate with the IX's.
1st and 7th sails with the VII's.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #248 on: March 29, 2005, 10:31:20 AM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
There IS something wrong with the spotting, while in storm, my bridge crew will not spot a ship I can clearly see myself. Sometimes the sonarman will report a contact I cannot hear for myself, and sometimes it will not detect it at all.  And it often happens as well when waves of planes ar attacking, the crew will sometimes fire at them, sometimes not. My sonar & bridge crew "functionality" bar is full and they are not or resonably tired.

I'm in 41 and the best option already is to dive to PD when planes are spotted...

Was it enemy or neutral? I found that the whole crew was hesitant to call in a contact on a neutral.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #249 on: March 29, 2005, 11:47:51 AM »
Finally got my adventure in Scapa Flow.

After drowning near the main Southerly Entrance, I figured I'd take the long way into Scapa Flow. I restarted my saved game, and Headed Around the Islands.

I timed it right so it would be dusk when I approaced the Small Inlet on the WNW side of the Island Port.

Unfortunatley I was spotted by Aircraft, and Had to dive outside of my objective. 2100 I surfaced again, I just entered the Inlet and proceeded East, Within minutes I was attacked by Swordfish.

I dove again, and surfaced almost an hour later. It was finally dark enough to continue on the Surface. Wrong! Here come the Swordfish again and to top it off an Elco Torpedo Boat is circling my last known posistion. Dive again and navigated between the First Small Island. Around 1130 I surfaced again and put her on All ahead Full.

I spot some Coastal Bunkers and Guns, But no ships yet. I finally make it into the Large body of Water of Scapa Flow. All of a sudden a shell rings down in the water ahead of me. ALARM! I pick up a few Sound Contacts, but there outside of the harbor down by the Main Entrance. I raise my Periscope and scan around, all sorts of contacts appear. Two Aux Cruisers and the Illustrious. I posistion myself 6oo yards off the CV, She goes down with Four Torpedos, Then everything comes to life, But the Destroyers are searching the wrong spot. Then as quickly the came to life, they stop, I guess the search is over.

Then I put two into the Aux Cruiser, She starts to list and limp away, Out of Bow Torps, I turn around and give her an ugly Aft Shot, Almost 45 degrees, but it hits and the Cruisers Magazine Explodes and the rounds inside Cook off shooting into the Night.

By 630, I cleared the Inlet Entrance and headed back out to sea, Time to go home :D

Will finish that up tonight.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2005, 01:36:52 PM »
Nice Job Nefarious :)

Pongo, they were enemy (England), and the planes definately were too (I was off the coast of Britain, and another time off Giibraltar).
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Nath_____

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.beatdownposse.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2005, 01:42:53 PM »
Why does it take so long to reload torpedos? 8 minutes?

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2005, 02:05:16 PM »
Originally posted by Nath_____

Because thats the second world war and nowadays it takes like two minutes to reload, with all the technology.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2005, 02:07:08 PM »
Originally posted by Nath_____
Check that you're not rigged for silent running! And check that your torpedo room has a full crew.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #254 on: March 29, 2005, 02:11:35 PM »
I seem to remember XXI was first sub where hydraulics was used to help reloading torpedos; earlier models did use chains and pulleys.
Gotta see if I can find some info.